Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for this and cant find the info I'm looking for, even googled.

I got my first XDM 9mm 4.5 a couple months ago, and fired about 1000 rounds of pmc thru it flawlessly. I found the ease of cleaning and the feel of the weapon outstanding. That being said, I purchased an XDM 9mm 3.8 compact last week for CCW.

My local gun store ran out of PMC and was stocking Aguila 9mm at a good price. Its brass cased and has some good reviews so I picked up 1000 rounds. Took my 4.5 and my new 3.8 to the range and shot 100 rounds thru each.

I had no malfunctions whatsoever outta either of them.

I'm pretty religious about cleaning my weapons every time I fire them, so when I got home, I sat down to strip and clean. To my surprise, I found a bunch of what looks to be brass shavings and junk inside the guns. This stuff was all over, from the chamber area all the way back to the sear and magwell, as well as in the slide. *edit* this was in BOTH guns.

My xdm 4.5 has a prp easy fit trigger mod and my 3.8 was stock never fired or modded.

The only time I've seen this before is in my remington 552 22lr that gets it so bad that it locks up after about 100 rounds. Because of this, I dont ever shoot that gun. I dont want the same feeling about my xdms, especially if I plan to carry them.

Anyone seen this before? What is the cause?

Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmm...Did you happen to get a pic of it? I thought I had a similar problem once, turned out it was small flakes of unburnt powder. Not sure which brand ammo it was, but it was a definite light colored flake. Not shiny, but just light.
Just my two cents...

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on thursday I'm gonna run a couple hundred rounds thru each gun, and take pics afterward. the xdm seems to get smoother the more rounds put thru it anyway.

I ran a search on aguila ammo in this forum and on google and found nothing like this.

Neither of them malfunctioned, nor have I had a single xdm malfunction yet, but if I have to spend lengthy times cleaning, it isnt desirable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have this same problem when i shoot federal 115gr fmj, it doesnt seem to be hurting anything and i went well over 2000 rounds without lubing or cleaning with no malfunctions whatsoever in my XD9 4"

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have this same problem when i shoot federal 115gr fmj, it doesnt seem to be hurting anything and i went well over 2000 rounds without lubing or cleaning with no malfunctions whatsoever in my XD9 4"
I only wish I could bring myself to do that. Sometimes I go years without shooting a weapon, and I want all my weapons ready to go in the safe for whatever situation may come up. I almost want to torture test one of the xdms just to see what I can get away with.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i am the same way with cleaning, for every trip to the range, 3-5 days a week, the gun gets cleaned as soon as i get home, i have done some things to this gun i would never recommend just to see what it takes to get this thing to misfire on me but not once have i gotten it to let me down, which is why its my everyday carry.

i seem to have really good results as far as debris left in the gun after firing with the big yellow box of remington 250 count UMC ammo, FMJ 115gr. there is not as much residue left in the chamber and no brass "powder" hanging out in the slide. good stuff IMO

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have never had that in any of my XDMs but I have come across this in my Kel Tec SU16B. More at first, less over time. I asked the Kel Tec forums guys and we could never figure out the EXACT problem other than something like a burr on the bolt, possibly. I continued cleaning and firing the gun and it's getting less and less pronounced over time. Guess that burr is wearing off. In essence it probably is not too big of an issue IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
It's just brass from your cases, don't worry about it.

More than likely it is from the extractor, or could also be your cases are hitting the ejection port.
I'm sure they are just tiny specs caught in your oil or grease.

post some pictures if you are still concerned about it.
your gun is much, much tougher than the cases.

go out and shoot more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts