Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a few questions here,

ive got a ton of brass and while going through it with a buddy he pointed out what looked more like a nick to me and stated that a split in the neck on about 3 out of 10 pieces, the split/nick whatever was very small and could really on be felt by rubbing your fingernail over it.

so the question is how can you really tell the difference between a split cracked neck vs just a small scrach or nick from the chamber locking lugs from an AR 15

next question if these nicks/splits are small enough is the brass still safe to load or should i discard it.

I don't think that he was saying this to get free brass since even my bad brass i keep for scrap once my buckets are full of brass i take it down and sell it.

most of my brass is range scavaged brass so its not like its going to cost me anything to pitch it but I really don't want to pitch brass that still has life left in it.

thanks in advance for your help on this

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
You should be able to see a cracked neck. It will start at the mouth. Sometimes the neck will get hit when shot out an AR and some brass comes with ridges on the edge of the mouth. Trim a few of them and see if you can still see anything on the mouth. A magnifying glass or eye loupe might help you also.
I throw anything that is split away.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I can hear a difference in the sound of a cracked or split piece of brass but unless you have an Eddy Current NDI inspection system you need to use the ole' Mark 1 EYEBALL.

Most dents from once fired brass will come out just fine in the resizing process. I throw out any brass that has big nicks or damage to the extractor groove.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
A split neck in a rifle round is just that, split. A small dent or check may or may not come out during sizing. While safe to fire on most instances, it could damage the base of the bullet during seating & accuracy goes south.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most of what i am refering to are what looks like small nicks or scraches right around the bottom of the neck and the top of the case wall if i can get some good lighting i will try and post some pics of what i am talking about. they are not big but i can feel them and catch my finger nail it.

im mostly concerned with it as i just spent $5k on my eyes in january not to mention the $1k i have in each of my rifles

like i said to me they look like nicks and scratches not nessisarily splits

they are about 1/16 of an itch in length and barely wide enough to catch your nail on.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
+1
They look fine.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
The only thing I see in your pics are nicks on the shoulder and body of the case. Big diameter is the body, shoulder is the angled part, and the neck is the small diameter. If this is what you are talking about, they should be fine. Anything that is fired out of an AR gets dented or scratched somewhere! Put a brass deflector on and see what they look like!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It may be a nick from ejection check it after sizing and trimming

1 - 12 of 12 Posts