Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've shot about 100rds out of my XD .45 ACP 4" black, and it's leaving some pretty hefty dents in the casings after they're fired. It hasn't given even the slightest hickup, seems to be an EXCELLENT gun, but I really want to know what's going on with the dents. There's no brass on the port, so I don't think that's where it hits, I think it's the next round comming up from under. The dents are all different sizes, which is another thing that makes me think it's the next round. As the mag empties, the spring pressure lightens up, and it doesn't leave as deep of a dent. At least that's my theory. Anybody else having this problem, and if so, is the brass still OK to reload? It did it with 2 types of ammo, both 230gr cheapo brass case stuff. CCI blazers, and independance. When I cycle my aluminum snap caps through it, I think I see what's happening. I don't hear a clack as the cap flips out of the port, but I do hear it right before as it starts to lift up and out. The aluminum caps are getting bitty dents, but that's probably because things aren't moving as fast as if the gun were actually being fired. The mag inserts pretty easy even when stuffed with 13rds, both 13rd mags, and the 10 do it, and I think I can actually see when it happens. I think it's from the very edge of the next round's casing comming up, and dinking it in the side. If I cycle a live round without firing, it leaves a flat dent in the slug itself where it touches the previous (previously ejected) round. I dunno, that's what I think is happening. :-?

Next time I go shoot, I'm going to mark the top of the brass as I stuff the mag with a sharpie so I can tell what side it's happening on. ;-)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know nothing about reloading, but I do know that the dings are normal. It happens because it hits the rear part of the hole in the slide as it pops out.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
No to worry dented brass is common with many guns and is caused by the case hitting the ejection point as it flips out.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
No to worry dented brass is common with many guns and is caused by the case hitting the ejection point as it flips out.
That's why they pimp the "lowered and flared ejection ports" so much on 1911s. It eliminates that issue.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody think that the next shell in the mag could be making the dent?? I suppose it's a moot point with the resizing die. Just curious. I'm not so convinced about the divit being caused by the slide/port. I suppose I'll see when I mark them. I wish I had a high speed camera to see what's going on. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts