Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel real stupid admitting/asking this lol, but I just realized after going through my firearm cleaning supplies that both my 9mm and .45 brass bore brushes were stained blueish from the hoppes i dip them in (i bought a multi-caliber brush set). So this can only mean one thing, that I've used both of them on my 9mm XDm. Now that I noticed this I'm pretty sure it was this last time I cleaned my gun that I used the .45 instead of the 9mm on accident. So it was only done incorrectly once, and I put it in and out about 8 or so times.

So my question is, what are the negative effects this could have on my bore, and do you think I'll experience said effects because of doing this?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
None and no!

^^^
Agreed Sir,

I use an 'witches brew' of Hoppes & Sweets 7.62 Solvent in an container
to soak My barrels.

Plays hell (so to speak) with copper bore brushes.

Bore brushes are expendable...

The PRIMARY observance TheXDmGuy. is not the brush, but the bore
& breach.

---With RESPECTS---

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
That little bit won't hurt anything. But wow, I don't think I can even get my 45 brush into the 9mm barrel. It's a tight fit in the 45.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
You might have harmed the 45 brass bristles by ramming them through a 9 barrel, but you definitely did not hurt barrel. Imagine the forces and friction on that 9mm barrel when a 9.01 diameter bullet is blasted through it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's the thing, the .45 brush is not much bigger than the 9mm brush. I think that's why it was so easy for me to mistake the two.

And claych, that was my concern- the bore and muzzle, not the brush lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
The only thing I would like to add is not to "dip" your brush into the Hoppes bottle. You'll contaminate the whole bottle with powder residue and discolor it. I pour a small amount into another smaller container for "dipping", and keep the big bottle clean and pristine.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
agreed with all.
as a general rule, brass is softer than steel, chrome and iron. if you ever rub the two of them together its the brass that will take the beating, not the steel.
that is probably the main reason brass is used for brushes.

thats also the reason they have brass hammers.
when a machine shop needs to add extra umph to an install, but cant afford to mar the part, a brass hammer is used.
brass also doesnt spark against steel, so that is extra benefit for things like explosive cleaning agents, and work around rocket boosters.

thats pretty much all i know about brass.
i hope it was at least a little beneficial

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The only thing I would like to add is not to "dip" your brush into the Hoppes bottle. You'll contaminate the whole bottle with powder residue and discolor it. I pour a small amount into another smaller container for "dipping", and keep the big bottle clean and pristine.
oh the horror...:roll:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
oh the horror...:roll:
hey now, dont hate on the neat freaks, i do the same thing with my ospho
just because some guys use the same coffee cup for everything from drinking coffee to cleaning gun parts doesnt mean its the only correct way to do it

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
You're fine. Brass is a lot softer than steel.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
You might have harmed the 45 brass bristles by ramming them through a 9 barrel, but you definitely did not hurt barrel. Imagine the forces and friction on that 9mm barrel when a .356" diameter bullet is blasted through it.
you should "brush" up on your bullet diameters.

badum'tshhh, thank you thank you, i'll be here all week

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
agreed with all.
as a general rule, brass is softer than steel, chrome and iron. if you ever rub the two of them together its the brass that will take the beating, not the steel.
that is probably the main reason brass is used for brushes.

thats also the reason they have brass hammers.
when a machine shop needs to add extra umph to an install, but cant afford to mar the part, a brass hammer is used.
brass also doesnt spark against steel, so that is extra benefit for things like explosive cleaning agents, and work around rocket boosters.

thats pretty much all i know about brass.
i hope it was at least a little beneficial

It was indeed interesting. I did not know it won't spark.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Start using plastic bottles with flip top to disperse your cleaning/oiling fluids. You'll want to find a plastic bottle that has been fluorinated to resist the breakdown caused by the cleaning/lubrication agents. I picked up bottles from Sinclair.

I've switched over to nylon brushes. I have found they are slightly oversized compared to brass and are stiffer. Also if you make the mistake of reversing a brass brush while it is still in the bore, the bristles are subject to breaking, I have not seen that with the nylon brushes.

The other reason I switched to nylon brushes is that strong copper cleaners (I use KG12) attach the brass (copper + zinc). As is, the brass central spiral component of the nylon brush gets attacked by such cleaning solvents but that hasn't seemed to affect the integrity of the brush. I can't make that claim for brass bristles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts