Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone, I am brand new to the site, I just bought a new XD .45 Compact yesterday. I had to get rid of my Kimber, with somewhat of a heavy heart. I have always been a fan of the 1911 model, but I had too many issues with the Kimber, at least 20 FTF/FTE/jams during the first 450 rounds. I know there is a break in period, but it seemed excessive to me. Plus, Kimbers require you to buy Wilson Combat or another high end magazine, the ones that come with the gun chew up the breech. I found this to be unacceptable for any gun that you pay $750 or more for. And I wasn't a big fan of carrying "cocked & locked."

But, I am not here to bash Kimber, even though it may sound like it so far! I just got my new XD, going to the range tomorrow, after a clean/lube session. I'm excited with my new gun, the XD has grown on me over the past few months, especially with its price and reliabilty, as well as carrying the Springfield name.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great choice on the XD45C. Don't worry, you're not the first one to dump their Kimber, Glock, Sig, etc to get an XD. I think you'll really like it. Let us know how the range session goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back when the XD's first came out and were chosen "handgun of the year", I bought the 4" full size 45 ACP service model. It had the full size, 13 round grip. Just yesterday(!) I shot my compact 45 ACP I purchased a week ago. It's in Dark Earth and also has the 4" barrel. I love the color! It has one 10 round magazine and on 13 round magazine. And SURPRIZINGLY, it shoots better and is more accurate than my first XD! I was actually quite shocked. I did well at the range averaging 95% of all shots on target.

Nice thing is I went to my local gun range to add it to my CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) and they had a bunch of students on the range qualifying for their first class and I was told to tell the instructor on the line that when ready, I would like to qualify with my XD compact. Now, I've had over 100 hours of professional training, am a NRA Certified Pistol Instructor / RSO....yadda, yadda, yadda, you get the idea. After shooting a few B-27 targets as far out as 75 feet, the range instructor came up to me and told me, "we don't have to go through qualification. I KNOW you can shoot!" - Just makes you feel good!

From one of the best in the business (check out his books - Massad Ayoob): Power Stance, High Hand, Crush Grip, Front Sight, Smooth Roll.

Combine that with good sight alignment and sight picture and enough dry / live fire practice and you're good to go!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I really liked the 4" Compact right when I first saw it, and for the price (I got it new at a gun show for $450 before taxes) you really can't beat it. I was also impressed with the 10 & 13 rd. mags that come stock, as well as the holster, mag holders, and loading tool. I may not always use that holster/mag holders, but at the very least they will come in handy at the range!

Mine is black, I heard about the earth color you're talking about, but haven't actually seen one yet. Now, I just have to get used to it- I have heard recoil is less that you expect from a 4" barrel, which would be nice in the .45! Better balance or whatever, I'm happy with my choice!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Amen on the XD45C. I've been carrying one for about 6 months and I've been pleased with it. Fortunately (or unfortunately for me) I shoot almost as good with the XD as I do with my $2k 1911. Good choice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I can't say I won't ever get another 1911, but not any time soon, and probably not as a carry gun. I am liking the XD compact for lots of reasons: price, reliability, higher ammo capacity, rail system for light/laser for home use... etc. etc. etc. Gotta get a few more 10 rd. mags, the compact with the 10rd. fits into my hand like a glove!

As a sidenote- what are you guys using holster-wise for CC?

·
Registered
33 Posts
...I am not here to bash Kimber, even though it may sound like it so far!...
You're in good company on the Kimber - XD45 switch. I had a Tac Pro II that I off loaded after 2000 rounds. It wasn't right from day one. My XD45 Service model has been reliable from the first round. The only gotcha I've seen so far is that it doesn't like dirty magazines. That's certainly a fixable condition.

There are days when I miss the 1911 but I can't bring myself to go make that investment again...or at least not this week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear you, I loved how my Kimber looked, it was purty... but I'd rather have something I know will work when I need it to. I had nice wooden grips on my Pro Carry, and it looked great, but just so many malfunctions, I was worried what would happen if I really did need it one day to protect myself. Plus, having to buy $30 mags that didn't come stock- that's kind of ridiculous, you know? Why would you sell a gun with mags that are going to tear up the breech? It makes no sense. If I do get another 1911, I'll try a Springfield for sure!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I can't say I won't ever get another 1911, but not any time soon, and probably not as a carry gun. I am liking the XD compact for lots of reasons: price, reliability, higher ammo capacity, rail system for light/laser for home use... etc. etc. etc. Gotta get a few more 10 rd. mags, the compact with the 10rd. fits into my hand like a glove!

As a sidenote- what are you guys using holster-wise for CC?

Crossbread IWB

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Welcome to the XD club. You bought a good gun that ought to serve you well.

I do have two salient questions, based on your opening statement:

1. Jams with Kimber: The price you mentioned points to an entry level Kimber but still the problem you describe highlights exceedingly low quality, which Kimber doesn't have (and I own a few that work really well). It is true that their mags are rubbish but based on your text I assume you used a Wilson Combat magazine, the other possible point of failure is the ammo. So... What ammo did you use? was it reloaded? home made? some lower quality factory ammo? I'm asking because if ammo caused the problem, the XD will have the same issue (possible more so since Kimber polishes the feed ramp on all or most of its guns).

2. Round in the chamber: Are you aware that the XD needs a round in the chamber in order to fire as soon as you squeeze the trigger? It isn't a double action or LDA type gun. It you are aware if this, why do you think it is fundamentally different than carrying a 1911 in a similar manner? Assuming you didn't get an XD with a thumb safety, the 1911 has one additional safety which the XD doesn't have (or fundamental needs to preempt comments on this comment ;)).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the XD-40 and have shot around 2000 rounds through it so far with not one problem. I have admired the KIMBER and have always said I would own one some day but your comments have made me think about that. I am realy hooked on the XD and if a .45 is in my future I will most likely give the XD-45 a try first. Besides, I can buy three of them instead of a high dollar KIMBER !!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
  • For carry with tactical light (SureFire x300) I use Blade Tech.
  • For concealment I use my new Crossbreed holster.
  • For gun belt I use the one I got from Crossbreed which is by far the best gun belt I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have admired the KIMBER and have always said I would own one some day but your comments have made me think about that.
You should not give up on Kimber based on one comment from an unknown source. I'd take it in context and research Kimber more before buying or dropping it. I have a few Kimbers and they work very well. Both the 5" and 3"; and given their mid range price and quality, I'd buy them again today.

Bottom line, research your facts and take care when making your mind up. As I said in a previous comment to this post, that set of facts when combined with the comment around carrying a 1911 locked and loaded raise more questions than answers (to me that is, so again, don't believe anything you read from anonymous posters --even from my good self :p)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I realize that you can nit-pick, and yes, I suppose the XD will in fact be carried "Cocked & Locked" but at the same time I know full well that everyone knew exactly what I was talking about. I'm not looking to start arguments about the Kimber .45s.. I loved mine, it just was not reliable. And anyone debating me on this issue probably should be on a Kimber website, don't you think?

I never used re-loads, and usually used WWB 230g FMJ for the range. I never wanted to find out that my gun was lacking. I just found what it could not handle well.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
2. Round in the chamber: Are you aware that the XD needs a round in the chamber in order to fire as soon as you squeeze the trigger? It isn't a double action or LDA type gun. It you are aware if this, why do you think it is fundamentally different than carrying a 1911 in a similar manner? Assuming you didn't get an XD with a thumb safety, the 1911 has one additional safety which the XD doesn't have (or fundamental needs to preempt comments on this comment ;)).
Hmm.... even a DA or LDA pistol still needs a round in the chamber to fire.

To the OP. You mentioned you were not a fan of Locked and Cocked carry. Well you will still be carrying locked and cocked with an XD. That or carrying a very expensive paperweight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts