Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new NAA Mini Revolver today and took it to the range with my XD-9 service
Took some cellphone pics at the range

getting loaded...

revolver

15' aiming at COM with the mini revolver

results

getting loaded again notice the snap cap
tried a few failure drills...

next target for my XD set at 30'

Results...

Took some additional pics when I got home

I love this little gun

My xd says HI too...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Aww... ain't she cute?

And I could tell just from the last picture you're a left-coastie.

Do I see a no-no in pics 1 & 5?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've had one for a couple years now. Love to shoot it, and it's always in my watch pocket loaded with Stinger HP's. Not a gun for a gunfight, but great little "shoot & scoot", in case I get caught up in something on a midnight run to 7-11 and forgot my XD9SC. If I've got my pants on I've got my mini.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I love it as well. Mine has a folding handle that locks open like a lock-blade knife. When closed, the hammer can't be cocked and the trigger is completely enclosed, making it alot safer for in-pocket carry.
I had one without this feature in the early '90s. Kept it in my front pocket, always. Once, after a day of fishing, I got home and emptied my pockets. The little monster had binded up in my pocket and somehow cocked itself!!! This scared the poo out of me. It could have been a really bad day for me and my fellas!
From then on, I started using the little holster it came with, just to guard the trigger...... till I found out about this grip. It even has a pocket clip!

Have you given any thought on utilizing the CCI SHOTSHELLS?
They kinda relieve the accuracy issue.
1st shot- SHOTSHELL (blind, mame, incapacitate)
2nd shot- STINGER (KILL)
3rd shot- SHOTSHELL (blind, mame, incapacitate)
4th shot- STINGER (KILL)
5th shot- STINGER (KILL AGAIN!)

I get a perfect 3ft diameter spread at 25 feet with this small barrel with the SHOTSHELLs.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I originally bought mine with the folding grip, but the damned grip fell apart after a couple range visits. The craftsmanship in the gun is superb, but that folding grip was not engineered to be rugged enough for any type of real world use. The spring and pin assembly that holds the grip in place when it opens, is just pressed into the handle and eventually works itself out, which essentially makes the handle/grip useless (hopefully, they've improved that). I found that carrying the gun with that grip was a little too bulky in my pocket, also.

So, I just chucked the folding grip and got a regular one for it. Watch pocket carry works out pretty well for me. The gun is perfectly concealed. Nice and snug in there without anything around it to accidentally do anything to it, and it is an easy draw, too.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Those are pretty neat. What is the trigger like on 'em?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I find the trigger on mine to be a pretty lite pull after the hammer is cocked. So utmost gun safety must be observed after cocking, at the range. The gun can only be fired after cocking the hammer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered the grip holster for my mini revolver. That thing kicks pretty good for a 22lr it will help to have more to hold on to. I was really surprised. Had more of a bang than I thought it was going to have too.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My cousin has had that handle since '00. He's had no problems, nor have I. It is a little bulkier. The pocket clip helps with this.
If you think that kicked, you should try the .22magnum!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
The folding handle I got must have been a lemon. It sure didn't last long. Hope others have better luck.

The gun is definitely noisy, and has a kick. It gets your hands all dirty too. I practice one and two hand shooting with it. It's easier to control with two hands (obviously) and more accurate. It's so small that it's difficult to get a good grip on, but after practicing enough I'm used to it's feel.

I really like this little gun!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The folding handle I got must have been a lemon. It sure didn't last long. Hope others have better luck.

The gun is definitely noisy, and has a kick. It gets your hands all dirty too. I practice one and two hand shooting with it. It's easier to control with two hands (obviously) and more accurate. It's so small that it's difficult to get a good grip on, but after practicing enough I'm used to it's feel.

I really like this little gun!
I Love this little gun.

I'm glad I took the chance and bought it. Lots of fun to be had with it. Next up I'm goin to try out some CCI shotshells see how well those work.
The only complaint I have with the gun is the reloading procedure. I'd rather the cylinder flip out like most revolvers instead of the pin and remove to reload. Its a bit of a pain removing the pin, especially if your hands get a bit of gun oil or sweat on them. I also don't like having my hand that close to the front of the barrel putting the pin back in when the gun is loaded (even though the hammer isn't cocked) It made me really nervous the first time I loaded it

has anyone tried subsonic ammo with the Mini Revolver?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww... ain't she cute?

And I could tell just from the last picture you're a left-coastie.

Do I see a no-no in pics 1 & 5?:mrgreen:
I have no idea what a left coastie means.
I mean yeah I'm from California I get that much. But I don't know how you told that from the last picture....Enlightenment please....New term for me...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Oh yeah, they make spare cylinders for you NAA, so it becomes a magazine of sorts; on the other hand, its a last ditch effort kinda gun. Its a "get the heck off of me and run away to fight another day", gun. Never even thought of reloading the little buger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah, they make spare cylinders for you NAA, so it becomes a magazine of sorts; on the other hand, its a last ditch effort kinda gun. Its a "get the heck off of me and run away to fight another day", gun. Never even thought of reloading the little buger.
I personally think getting a spare cylinder would just be more trouble than its worth. The shells fit kinda loose and would fall out all the time. Its not a gun I'd want to bring to a gun fight, though its better than bringing a knife to a gun fight, but its also gun Id like to bring to a knife fight ;)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
has anyone tried subsonic ammo with the Mini Revolver?
Yes, I got some "low noise" subsonic shells specifically for it. They weren't "low noise" at all.... Don't know how fast they were going :smile: I got a little box of them at Cabela's. If I remember right, they were about $10 for a box of twenty... expensive!

I just practice with cheap .22lr ammo from Walmart, and carry it loaded with CCI Stingers. I've shot cans and plastic bottles of water with high velocity Stinger hollow points. They leave some nice holes. Although, I guess from what I've read, the beauty of a .22 round is that in doesn't exit the body, but bounces around inside.

I want a high velocity round in my mini, due to the short barrel, and also to help penetrate clothing, if I need to use it for self defense.

·
Registered
49 Posts
thats wierd i hadnt seen one of those little guns in years and now i have seen two in a week. last thursday my buddy and i went to his land in bellville to do some shooting since we were both off work. as we were out shooting his glock .40, my xdm, and his sig ar one of the neighbors showed up to see what we were up to. since we knew he used to be a deputy sheriff and liked to shoot we asked if he wanted to join us and he said sure. i offered him my xdm and he said maybe in a minute let me try mine. he pulled out his little .22 magnum revolver. he passed it around and we all took a turn with it and that little thing had some kick to it. after that we all took turns with the ar, the glock and the xdm to see who was the best shot. the retired sheriff was definately better than we were but i was the only one that could hit the little water bottle from about 35-40 yards. i probably couldnt do it again but i was very proud of myself that day.

anyway back to the subject those little .22 revolvers are pretty sweet to have for a backup, but i wouldnt want that to be my first line of defense. HAPPY SHOOTING TO ALL YALL!!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I got some "low noise" subsonic shells specifically for it. They weren't "low noise" at all.... Don't know how fast they were going :smile: I got a little box of them at Cabela's. If I remember right, they were about $10 for a box of twenty... expensive!

I just practice with cheap .22lr ammo from Walmart, and carry it loaded with CCI Stingers. I've shot cans and plastic bottles of water with high velocity Stinger hollow points. They leave some nice holes. Although, I guess from what I've read, the beauty of a .22 round is that in doesn't exit the body, but bounces around inside.

I want a high velocity round in my mini, due to the short barrel, and also to help penetrate clothing, if I need to use it for self defense.
You got ripped off thats REALLY expensive for .22lr rounds
AMM-066 - Ammo .22 SUPER Colibri 500 Rounds 20 Grain No Powder for .22 Handgun Super Quiet 500 rounds for the same price from CTD
500 FPS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts