Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the site, and have a burning question.

I was told one of the reasons the Brady Law was put into effect years ago is to give a purchaser of a weapon a little cool off period in case he was looking for his astranged wife. (just a scenario) The burning question is, how or why is it possible for someone with a ccw permit able to make a purchase and walk away with the weapon on the spot and bypass the whole Cool Off Period?

Riddle me that!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Hi all,

I was told one of the reasons the Brady Law was put into effect years ago is to give a purchaser of a weapon a little cool off period in case he was looking for his astranged wife. (just a scenario) The burning question is, how or why is it possible for someone with a ccw permit able to make a purchase and walk away with the weapon on the spot and bypass the whole Cool Off Period?

Riddle me that!
You dont need a CCW permit to buy a handgun or any weapon for that matter within 10 minutes and take it home here in Ohio... I think that law is on a State by State basis, not Federal.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
I purchased two pistols this year. The first before getting my CCW and the second afterwards. I had to wait the same amount of time for each.
About 10 minutes. That ten minutes starts with me saying "I'll take it", and ends with me paying for it. In between was a couple forms, a phone call, and a hand written bill of sale by the LGS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No seven day wait to buy a weapon in Ohio?

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
None in Oklahoma either. Hooray for states with friendly gun laws! I just wish we would pass open carry already.
Oh, and on Nov 1st a new law goes into effect that extends the "Make My Day Law" to a persons workplace. My favorite part of the law:

D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
None in Oklahoma either. Hooray for states with friendly gun laws! I just wish we would pass open carry already.
Oh, and on Nov 1st a new law goes into effect that extends the "Make My Day Law" to a persons workplace. My favorite part of the law:

D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

ohio has friendly gun laws til you try to transport them or buy something that holds more than 30 rounds.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Florida has a three day waiting period, unless you have CWP, then you can leave with it that day. I am guessing it is because if you passed to get a CWP then you should be responsible to not do anything stupid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The past 5 days have been hard, now I've got two more days to go!
Feel like a kid waiting to go to Disney.........

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
ohio has friendly gun laws til you try to transport them or buy something that holds more than 30 rounds.
Yeah, you gotta love that Open Carry is legal in OH... unless you are in your car, then you have to have a CCW... which pretty much means if you are going to OC, then you better be walking, or willing to unload and store your weapon securely while you're in the car... then get it back out when you get where you're going and hope you dont get caught 'brandishing' when you do:rolleyes:

As for the 30 round limit? I'd rather have 30 than 10...

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
The past 5 days have been hard, now I've got two more days to go!
Feel like a kid waiting to go to Disney.........
Wait until you apply for CCW, that is the longest wait ever. Just when you start thinking you were denied without being told, you will get a letter saying you can pick up your license at the sherrif's office. That is how it went for me anyway...

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
South Dakota used to have a 3 day wait unless you had a Concealed Pistol Permit. However, that law was recently changed so that no one has a 3 day wait.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Florida has a three day waiting period, unless you have CWP, then you can leave with it that day. I am guessing it is because if you passed to get a CWP then you should be responsible to not do anything stupid.
Unless you have purchased a gun within the the previous 12 months and have the receipt. Then you can walk away with the gun after you pay for it and have a "proceed" from FDLE.
However, this all changes in October, where there will be no 3 day wait.

·
Registered
608 Posts
MY WIFE JUST BOUGHT A HANDGUN AND IT WAS 5 DAY WAIT HERE... PALM BEACH, BROWARD, AND MIAMI DADE COUNTIES ARE ALL FIVE DAYS... NOT FAIR :evil:

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow i didn't realize how much it is a pain to get guns in other states i live in Alaska and can walk into a store buy a handgun stick it in my waise belt and walk out. No CCW laws. Main reason we have a CCW class up here si to be able to carry consealed in other states that accept out of state CCW permits and to train people on propper techniques.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No Need to wait for anything in AZ unless you are buying a Class III which i hear that wait is something like 6 months.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hi all,

Riddle me that!

Komrad Klinton was in power. The Brady Bunch tried to get as much passed as they could. The next election changed that for them, and they learned by that and didn't go for it as bad this time. It did impose a national waiting period as well, but that went away after the instant check was in place and the states could go back to doing things the way they did before the Brady gun law travisty. The "asault ban part of it timed out a few years ago, and polititians learned that if they reinstated it they could be fired. So no new gun bans at this time. But don't think for a mimute that they have given up. Every year their croneys in congress try to reistate the whole thing , so that you are restricted to their hearts content.

Shoot safely, often and well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No waiting period in Indiana.
To get a carry permit (allows open or concealed carry), go to the courthouse of county sheriff, get fingerprinted and fill out the paperwork. Wait 2-4 months for bachground checks. If approved, your perty pink permit comes in the mail.
Sign it and you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts