Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and watched an IDPA match a few weeks ago. Most of the ones I watched had 45's and 5 inch barrels. I left about two hours into the match as my black leather shoes in the 95+ degree heat and no breeze where beginning to melt my feet. A few days later I went out and bought some white tennis shoes. At least half the group I was with were shooting expert class. But what the hell, I'm gonna start shooting with them cause I can use the experience for CCW. Fun and practice.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Out gunned? Heck, my XD is more capable then I am at this point. We (me and my XD) shoot better than most of the G17, G34, and 1911 clones on the field.

You will do just fine. Competing in ESP is fun too!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
IDPA only lets the 1911's run with 8+1 configuation, semiautos like the XD are 10+1. The SSP and ESP guns have the advantage due to the round counts. Generally speaking, fewer mag changes. I shoot my revolver frequently in IDPA and outshoot most of our regular club members. :lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't quite understand all the competition abbreviation, but does any one know if Corpus Christi has anything like that? If not, does anyone know how to start one, everyone else seems to be having the kinda fun I been a missin around here!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't see you being outgunned in IDPA. Shooting with experts will be a sharp learning curve. Once you have the accuracy down speed will come. A trigger job and fiber optic sight should make you competitive with the big boys. I shot 1911 for a while, like the XD Tactical better because it's simple and runs every time out-no problems.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I have a trigger job and Dawson Fiber Sights on my XD-9. I am 100% certain that they are the reason for most/all of my best scores. I would be only 1/2 as good with a stock setup.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Old School said:
Excellent. Are you familiar with the club in CC? Looks nice, from what I can tell from their website.

Be careful and go slow.
I've been to both the starry shooting range (outdoor), and the sharpshooter (indoor) in the past. They are nice. However the Sharpshooter is closed right now, rumor has it that a fellow experienced his first pistol misfire. You guessed it. Caught it right in the forehead. Poor soul!!

Jake

P.S. What does a trigger job entail, and why those sights?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
bigjakern said:
P.S. What does a trigger job entail, and why those sights?
I prefer fiber sights because I can acquire the target faster because of the sight's brightness. I also prefer the adjustable rear because I can set the sights to my preference instead of shooting to the guns preference.

As for the trigger job, a full job includes lessening the pull weight, overtravel, and reset. Now having it, I am sorry I ever competed without it.

Old School

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks, looks like I will be doing some upgrades now!!

I know there is a thread out there somewhere with the information on how to obtain these features, but you appear to be so impressed with your's that if you do not mind telling me how to follow in your footsteps I would appreciate it.

If not, I will spend some time looking into it on this forum. Thanks for all the help.

Jake

·
Registered
181 Posts
bigjakern,

Old School and I had our guns worked on by Rich Dettelhouser of Canyon Creek. (815)672-1652.

His turn around is only a few days and the trigger difference is unbelievable. Two thirds of the take up and re-set is gone and it is incredibly smooth. My trigger is 3.25 lbs at the middle and 2.5 at the rear. (I wouldn't have it that light if the gun was for carry.) The cost for this was $125.00. I also had a Dawson fiber optic sight put on the front but I use the standard XD sight on the rear. The entire cost for both the trigger work and sight was $196.00. Since I live close to Rich I did not have any shipping costs so you would have to add the shipping both ways to your cost.

You will also need an IDPA legal holster and magazine carriers for two spare mags. For IDPA rules go to http://idpa.com/

I went to my first match last Saturday and I was practicing with Old School last night for my next match tomorrow. This is really addicting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks so much, I guess I'll have to get another XD-357 and work it up for competition. Currently rained out, so I have not made it out to the range to see the goings on, but I will soon. Thanks for all the info, Jake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts