Springfield XD Forum banner

Should I buy a 12 ga or a bow hunting setup?

• 12 ga shotgun

• Bow hunting setup

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So by the end of the year I will hopefully be buying either a bow hunting setup or a 12 ga. I don't have either in my collection. I can get a decent entry level bow setup for around $400 (prolyl more after accessories) or a Mossberg 12 with 2 barrels, a 20 and 26 inch, for about $350. Bow would be for over the counter deer tags and javelina, 12 ga for birds and coyote and maybe home defense with the 20 inch barrel. Kinda leaning towards the shotgun right now.I really want both but can only budget for one right now. opinions, thoughts, other 12 ga options?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Shotgun for the more usefulness and reasons you mentioned.

You can always buy a bow later.

I've got a Mossy 500 but a Remy 870 would be a great choice also. Buds guns has em' for $312 shipped, I believe.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
On a site full of gun enthusiasts, I think you're likely to get some skewed opinions. I vote scattergun. :cool:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I love bow hunting but you will have more invested in the bow before its over with, trust me on that one..lol

I vote for an 870, find a used one and you can get a great deal. I bought my last one used for 160.00 and it shoots liek a champ.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The shotgun first, Many goog choises out there for under 400.00. I know you said 300 for the Mossy. Look around and get whats best for you. Check around.
BTW I have a mossy 500 w/2 barrels. priced good and it works for me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have a Mossy 500 I've been using for hunting 25 years now has a 28 inch barrel...not ideal for HD...that's why I'm going to order a 18.5 inch barrel for it. 6 rounds of 00 Buck not 9 like in a 590 but the barrel is only about $80 shipped.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not to put Remington down (I own one) but lately the 870 has been having extractor problems. You might want to try used. I got my PSE Mach 5 for $200.00 and you can find a good used shotgun for around $200.00.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm the one vote for bow
and I'm the second, sort of! I would say get the bow, but if I were in your situation, I would get the shot gun for now and save for the bow until you can spend more on one. They're like motorcycles, in that you think this smaller/slower entry level one will be plenty for you. In no time you'll be wanting one that's bigger and better/faster and quieter!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Tucson, I don't know if you know or not but the PSE Archery manufacturing facility is here in Tucson. I have been there a couple of times and they have, or had a couple of years ago, a very nice proshop and sell discounted bows and accessories there. If you haven't been and are considering getting into it, you should go check them out.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
i got my remmy 870 super mag express for $175 used a couple years ago. great value.

if you dont have a shotty, i would get that first. Just for SHTF and home defense, then get the bow after that. Nothing against compound bows, i have one ... its fun to shoot, havent gotten a deer with it yet, but i am a good shot. then again i have only gone deer hunting in bow season i think 4 times .... fricken deer with their damn noses and ears, dont get me started.

If you want to eat, definately get the shotty, you cant miss and birds are easy and dumb. Deer are clever sum'biatchz

·
Registered
253 Posts
i got my remmy 870 super mag express for $175 used a couple years ago. great value.

if you dont have a shotty, i would get that first. Just for SHTF and home defense, then get the bow after that. Nothing against compound bows, i have one ... its fun to shoot, havent gotten a deer with it yet, but i am a good shot. then again i have only gone deer hunting in bow season i think 4 times .... fricken deer with their damn noses and ears, dont get me started.

If you want to eat, definately get the shotty, you cant miss and birds are easy and dumb. Deer are clever sum'biatchz
You need to shoot traditional, that way you can fling 2 arrows at once! JK!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
You need to shoot traditional, that way you can fling 2 arrows at once! JK!
its on the list.

i used to hunt with a borrowed 1950s/1960s fred bear recurve before i bought my compound.

i can shoot a recurve good, just didnt do trick shotz.

i would buy one though. they are fun.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My vote is for a shotty - WAY WAY more day-to-day functional. HD, birds, small game, and big game. Look towards the 870 if it were me - but i'm a biased remmy owner from a rem-biased family :)

Bows are a lot of fun, but if you dont have a shotty yet its a hands down no questions winner to that debate.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You can get a good shotgun for alot cheaper than a decent bow setup. You said $400, but believe me, it could climb to $600 or $700 EASY!!!

That said, it depends on what kind of hunting you do. For example, I dont do much bird hunting, or really anything, except deer. So for someone like me, having a bow increases my hunting season by quite a bit, where I live I go from about one month of hunting for rifle season to about four months by having a bow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My vote is for the Remington 870. Just put a package together and waiting to clear in CA mainly for home defense. 870 pump 18" barrel with extended tube, ghost ring tritium sights and Sure Fire forearm. I figure that will help me stop some bad guy if necessary.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tucson, I don't know if you know or not but the PSE Archery manufacturing facility is here in Tucson. I have been there a couple of times and they have, or had a couple of years ago, a very nice proshop and sell discounted bows and accessories there. If you haven't been and are considering getting into it, you should go check them out.
I did know that, and plan on going sometime. In my limited experience, I love PSE bows. I think shotty will come first, but I'm still so torn!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I vote for the bow. As an avid archer and deer hunter, I actually shoot my bow more than I shoot my guns. You can always find a good deal on a shotty down the road. :D

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
You can get a good shotgun for alot cheaper than a decent bow setup. You said $400, but believe me, it could climb to $600 or $700 EASY!!!

That said, it depends on what kind of hunting you do. For example, I dont do much bird hunting, or really anything, except deer. So for someone like me, having a bow increases my hunting season by quite a bit, where I live I go from about one month of hunting for rifle season to about four months by having a bow.
true so true, 400 is for a decent bow, as in plain jane bow, no peep sight, no sight, no wisker biscut, no case, no carbon arrow, no broad heads, no nuffin, a reslease can be 30-100 alone. opps add case. add atleast $40 for some targets (get the fiberfill ones not foam ones) all the limb savers shock stuff, the back up parts (if you go hunting and bust something youll be pissed)

you can get to $700 in a hurry, compares to my sub $200 remmy 870 super mag express, i havent done anything but shoot birds and clays, i dont even have a sling on it. lol all i have into it is $175 and shot shells. well and some clays.

i can hunt birds, rabbit, squirells, all day with a $175 remmy, take it home, and kill zombies all the next day.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
true so true, 400 is for a decent bow, as in plain jane bow, no peep sight, no sight, no wisker biscut, no case, no carbon arrow, no broad heads, no nuffin, a reslease can be 30-100 alone. opps add case. add atleast $40 for some targets (get the fiberfill ones not foam ones) all the limb savers shock stuff, the back up parts (if you go hunting and bust something youll be pissed)

you can get to $700 in a hurry, compares to my sub $200 remmy 870 super mag express, i havent done anything but shoot birds and clays, i dont even have a sling on it. lol all i have into it is $175 and shot shells. well and some clays.

i can hunt birds, rabbit, squirells, all day with a $175 remmy, take it home, and kill zombies all the next day.
Yeah and with a bow, you can shoot the same arrow over and over again. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts