Springfield XD Forum banner

bought xd because of hurricane

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Margana 
#1 ·
I live in lafayette louisiana( which is in between lake charles and baton rouge).Thursday I purchased my first XD I have been looking at this fourm for about 2 months. I am not the only one who thinks that the crime rate might go up now that lafayettes population has grown by about 1/3. Finding a handgun in lafayette was hard at the end of last week. I got the last XD-9 from the only dealer for SA in town. It is a 2nd hand OD green 9mm with hardly any rounds through it. I have not had a chance to shoot it ,but I do not think that I will be displeased. Good thing that I had bought ammo eventhough I did not have a gun a couple of weeks ago 9mm ammo is hard to find this weekend being that everyone is a little worried. I have 350 rounds at home that should be enough to test the gun and then carry for self defense

#2 ·
Wecome to the gun nut club. Get some rounds thru that thing and get a feel for her. Don't forget that you can order gun items from the different sponsers here on the gun nut site.

Do some dryfire practice on with your trigger, get a feel of it. Being down in the humid land, try some clp or armadillo to protect that thing. Take care of it and it will do the same for you. :)

Any questions??

#3 ·
thanks it came with 2-10 rd mags, pistol gear should be getting some hi cap mags at the end of next week think I am going to pick some up
yes it is very humid down here so I am going to watch the finish and keep it protected

clp or armadillo is that just for the slide?

is it a cream or spray or liquid or what?

I bought some rem oil to wipe it down that will have to work until I can get something else

#4 ·
Getting an XD is the smartest thing to do. I'm glad you've decided that common criminals and thugs will not get their way with you. From what I can see on FOXnews, it's anarchy in New Orleans. The XD is the perfect self-defense, and if need be, offensive weapon to carry.

#5 ·
miller said:
thanks it came with 2-10 rd mags, pistol gear should be getting some hi cap mags at the end of next week think I am going to pick some up
yes it is very humid down here so I am going to watch the finish and keep it protected

clp or armadillo is that just for the slide?

is it a cream or spray or liquid or what?

I bought some rem oil to wipe it down that will have to work until I can get something else
clp can be for the whole thing. Never used it but have heard good things about it.

armadillo , In the past I have just used on the slide. I used this in conjunction with
disortec xfr (extreme friction reducer), it comes in a small tube, it is a lube.
I ran out of the xfr (was using it on door lock mechanisims) so I bought DuPont Teflon.

Just Friday night I used DuPont Teflon ( white liquid in a blue squezze bottle from Lowes ) on the whole gun, inside of the mag well, slide top and bottom, in and out of the barrel, all moving parts, in and out of mag's.

I have used the Teflon on the internals before. I sorta like it because after a trip to the range the gun cleans up pretty easy.

Have heard plenty good on the Rem Oil too, just clean it good and protect it good.

#6 ·
Actually you could try just buying a quart of Mobile-1 and have gun lube for life. I know several knowledgeable people who use it and hold it in high regard as a weapon lube. I've used it as well and love it. I'll use it exclusively as soon as I exhaust my supply of FP-10 & Breakfree. :wink:

#7 ·
Packin'Plastic said:
Actually you could try just buying a quart of Mobile-1 and have gun lube for life.
Mobil 1 huh... 15-50 red cap or green? How about Extended Performance (would it be good for 15K rounds instead of miles?)? BWAHAHA I KILL MYSELF!

Okay, that was dumb... On the serious side, what Mobil 1 are they using and what are the reasons?

Thanks!

#8 ·
Actually I've seen a couple of different weights of Mobil-1 used. I really don't think it makes much of a difference for firearm lube. I too remember a thread on GT where several used and loved it but were using different weights. 5w-30 seems to be the most common used though it really doesn't matter. Great stuff. It protects high performance engines turning in excess of 10,000rpm...it'll do fine as you empty a magazine! :wink:
The reason for using it was price. It works better than most pricey gun lubes and one quart will last a lifetime. Kind of a great secret among those who know. The ONLY downside I've ever heard was one guy on GT did a backyard rust test. He compared it with every available gun lube. There were like two out of twelve of the gun oils that lasted longer than the Mobil-1 before rust appeared on his piece of metal. As often as I clean my XD...thats a non issue. Not like I'm going to leave it under the sprinkler in the backyard. One gentleman that I know using it is a very, very good gunsmith who told me it was the best kept secret he'd ever known!!!

#9 ·
miller said:
REM oil is ok to protect the finish if you wipe it down with it often. It will evaporate prety good. If you use REM oil, try to spray it down once a week.

#10 ·
congrates on the new xd,,, i think u will be impressed and how did u fair with the cane??? u have a lot of damage ? makin it ok?

#11 ·
we did ok lafayette only had tropical storm force winds and we did not even lose power

#13 ·
I have been watching this board for about 3 months even though i could not afford the gun I still wanted to learn as much about it as I could before I purchased it.
I think that it is a good idea to be as well informed as you can, but my girlfriend just says that I am obsessed.
R/T Performance you are correct in the few months I've spent I have had a few laughs :wink: :lol:

#16 ·
That's the nice thing if you don't have small children and can leave one in the pipe.My wife knows how but I am not sure she wouldn't just freeze but I work out of my shop at home and e always travel together .If danger occurs I will take the nautral step to me draw and fire.Yes I carry 24/7 5 years now since the state instated will issue

#17 ·
After all these rather disturbing stories from Hurricane Katrina, I did 2 things. I made a donation to the American Red Cross, then I went out and bought a 9mm carbine. I happen to like the XDs and I have 3 (XD9SC, XD9 Tactical, and XD40). However, a shotgun or a carbine is better home defense. I decided on the Hi Point 9mm Carbine (don't laugh, I did an extensive search on carbines on Deja looking at the Kel Tec Sub 2000, the Beretta Storm, the Mech Tech conversion for the 1911, and the Ruger. Guess what? There are a lot of posts that say, "I know somebody that had a Hi Point...."But the posts that are written by Hi Point Carbine owners are very surprising. Some of these are written by those who own one of the more expensive carbines. The Hi Point Carbines are well regarded as reliable, plus they are so inexpensive, you won't feel guilty if it gathers dust or a bit of rust. Gun Tests (I know some of you hate this publication) compared the Hi Point with the Kel Tec and the Beretta. They liked the Hi Point.

Anyway, I tested my new carbine and I was delighted. I found as quickly I could bring the front post to align on the target and slap the trigger it would hit the bullseye (OK at 50 feet, at an indoor range). At that distance, I can only do that with a handgun very deliberately, with controlled breathing, and sloooowly sqeeezing the trigger. With a carbine, I could just slap the trigger and punch out a 3 inch hole off hand. At rest, the gun repeatedly made a jagged 1 inch hole.

Just a thought...carbine.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.