Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a phone call yesterday from a local gun place telling me they took an XD in on trade. Normally I would not purchase a used gun, don't know, just something about it. XD 3" SC .40 Bi-tone for $395.00. It came with two mags (1 reg, 1 hi-cap) and all the XD Gear. It actually looks like new, one tiny scratch on the slide. The spent shell that came with it from the factory was dated in late Jan. of 2008. The guy who owned it previously didn't clean it very well as it was dirty. He apparently sold that and one other carry gun to this place. He needed the cash. I can't pick it up until Monday when I get my permit to purchase. Sooo, sound like a good deal? I'll post a pic on Monday when I get it. I'm pretty geeked. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Congratulations.

What is a permit to purchase? I am from Indiana and we just go to the store, buy the gun, they call it in, and we take the gun home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Michigan, one has to go to their local PD and get a permit to purchase before buying a pistol. It's a little green paper they give you after running you and your prints. It's only good for a few days then expires. You then take the completed p2p and the gun to back to your local pd for inspection.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So in Michigan you have to obtain a permit to purchase, then you have a few days to choose a pistol, and then you have to take the pistol to the police so they can inspect it? :?

·
Registered
188 Posts
So in Michigan you have to obtain a permit to purchase, then you have a few days to choose a pistol, and then you have to take the pistol to the police so they can inspect it? :?
1. Yes, if you don't have a carry permit you have to get a "permit to purchase". Either way, you walk out of the store with the gun in-hand.

2. The "safety" inspection is no longer required come January. Apparently Gov. Granholm finally figured out there are better things to spend the state's money on.

The "state's money", good one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well that's good to hear. I just think it would bug the hell out of me to have to go down to the PD, obtain a permit to purchase after being finger printed, then only have a few days to choose a pistol, then once I get the pistol, go back to the PD to have my gun inspected. However that is better than having to wait ten days like California's law abiding gun owners, not to mention they have restrictions on mag capacity.

Fortunately I live in a state where one with a clean criminal record can walk into a gun store, pick out a gun, purchase it, they call it in, and you can walk out to your car, load up the gun, and stick it in your pants. Although I usually go to the range and run a couple hundred FMJ rounds and a box of JHPs through a gun I want to carry, then I get a good holster.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In North Carolina, we also have to obtain a permit to purchase. We have to submit an application for the purchase permit to the local sheriff department and then wait for it to be approved. They take a fingerprint and run your background. Mine took two weeks but it was over Thanksgiving so that may have pushed it out a bit. After you have the purchase permit in hand, you have 5 years to buy a gun.

However, if you have a concealed carry permit, you don't have to obtain a permit to purchase.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just to be clear when you go to get your purchase permit in Michigan you do NOT get fingerprinted. That is only done when you get your CPL. One of my main motivations for getting a CPL was so I wouldn't have to deal with that purchase permit crap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
North Carolina must vary from county to county. I went to the sheriff's dept and filled out 3 pages, turned the paper work in with no fingerprints, and picked up 2 permits to purchase the next day. I would have got them same day, except I waited until 4:45 to get there and several were ahead of me. So, at least in Rowan county, you can get up to 4 permits without taking fingerprints, and wait 20 minutes for a deputy to complete the back ground check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So question Michigan. What would the police inspect for? And what would they do if they didn't like what they found?

I mean suppose I bought a damaged (un-safe) gun that I was going to repair. Would they confiscate it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. Yes, if you don't have a carry permit you have to get a "permit to purchase". Either way, you walk out of the store with the gun in-hand.

2. The "safety" inspection is no longer required come January. Apparently Gov. Granholm finally figured out there are better things to spend the state's money on.

The "state's money", good one.
You hit the nail on the head there. She's a disgrace to her office.

rjss,
good to go. I was thinking you had to get printed, it's been awhile since I went into a gun store and bought a pistol. I need to renew my CCW permit.

I just couldn't pass up the price. I thought that $395.00 was a good price for that piece. Atleast I think so. Now, I need to get some upgrades for it. It's used for a backup and ccw carry. I'm new to this, what are some decent upgrade parts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
In Texas, you drive or walk your [email protected] @ss to the gun store, pick a lead slinger, then ever so calmly, go home. thats it........imagine that..... :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
So question Michigan. What would the police inspect for? And what would they do if they didn't like what they found?

I mean suppose I bought a damaged (un-safe) gun that I was going to repair. Would they confiscate it?
The "safety inspection" isn't really an inspection. Yes, they do work the action, look and write down the serial numbers, but that's about it. Not sure how that insures the safety of anything. It is just a registration scheme.

To answer your questions, I'm not sure. I doubt they'd confiscate it, they may not give you a safety inspection card until it is fixed and deemed "safe" by their mostly worthless inspection.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, to try and put this topic back on track, I was wondering the general consensus on the price of the used XD, and different mods to improve function. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ok, to try and put this topic back on track, I was wondering the general consensus on the price of the used XD, and different mods to improve function. Thanks in advance.
I think the price is good assuming its not really worn. The 3" XD in 40 probably goes for around $500 and the last price I saw on budsgunshop.com was $466 (not including transfer fee of course). So I think you made a good purchase.

As far as upgrades go, one of the most common is probably sights. I just put a set of truglo TFOs on my tactical. The threads here on sights are very very informative since almost everything has been done by someone on here whether it be target, night sights, TFOs, fiber optic, etc. Also there are good recommendations on installing them (plug for XD-HS2000.com as they did a wonderful job for me!)

The other performance mod I see commonly is to get a trigger job by either springer precision or do it yourself with the powder river kit. There are other kits out there too but as I haven't done this I can't really comment. All I know is that everyone who deals with springer seems very happy with the result.

Also, guide rod swaps are pretty common, however, this is among people with the 5" because it doesn't have the captive spring and more of an aftermarket. Not sure about the 3". There are lots of other mods but it's mainly dress up stuff. I'm sure some others will chime in with any performance mods that I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal on that! :eek:

It appears the gun has barely been fired... Good luck to you...show some pics when you get it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the infor so far. I'm not looking to dress it up really. I'm more looking for functional upgrades. The night sights are a must. I think I am going to try to find a two different color set up. This would be for rapid front sight aquisition. Here is a pic I took a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looks very nice. The TFOs I mentioned earlier on my XD are green front yellow rear and I like having them different colors. Makes it easier to focus on the front sight.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Congrats on your purchase paragrunt.
Even a used XD had a lifetime warranty...:mrgreen:

In Texas, you drive or walk your [email protected] @ss to the gun store, pick a lead slinger, then ever so calmly, go home. thats it........imagine that..... :)
Yes, as long as your happy ass has a CHL (CCW permit).
Otherwise there is a wait period.

Looks very nice. The TFOs I mentioned earlier on my XD are green front yellow rear and I like having them different colors. Makes it easier to focus on the front sight.
I think TFOs are big on the slide, especially on a subcompact.
But that is just me, others love them.
Trijicon also makes multicolor sights for your XD.
Trijicon, Inc. : Brilliant Aiming Solutions™

Meprolight also makes them..
Meprolight | Electro Optical and Optical Sights}
Although their site has many spelling errors...:roll:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts