Springfield XD Forum banner

Bought my wife this lovely thing...

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  USMCFieldMP 
#1 ·
About a week ago, my wife mentioned wanting to get her Concealed Carry License... so I got all excited and we rushed off to the gun store! Played around with a couple different guns for about 2 hours. Sig P290, Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR, some Taurus, a Glock 26 & 27... but ultimately, she decided she really liked this one:

And I can't blame her, as I'm REALLY starting to love the feel of this LC9. Might have to get one for myself too! The loooooong trigger pull took some getting used to at the range... but I think she's adjusting to it quite nicely. Its impossible to find any place that has a MiniTuck or spare magazines in stock for this thing... and the mags are all around $30-40 online! :shock: Probably just hold off on the spare mag until the price drops. I figure once its been out a while, it'll come down. I hope so, at least!

See less See more
#3 ·
Buy a couple of spare mags, asap.

That way, if your single mag has issues feeding, especially feeding your favorite carry load, you have spares.

Personally, I wouldn't advise carrying an auto without a spare mag, anyway; not for the ammo as much as for the spare magazine. Mags are the weakest link in bottomfeeders...

Glad you had your wife pick out what she likes, and glad that she likes shooting it. Too many times, you see guys want to picky up a itty-bitty pistol for their "little woman", and she'll end up hating it.

#4 ·
Check out impactguns.com for the mags. They have the flat ones for $24.99 and extended ones for $29.99 with free shipping. I need to order some also. Congrats on the new LC9, I just put ~75 rounds through mine yesterday without any problems. I really like how it groups at 3-10 yards. I need to run a lot more rounds but I think it's good to go. Just waiting on my plastic.

#5 ·
You didn't list it, but did you get a chance to compare it to any of the small kahr pistols?
Nope. They didn't have any.

Buy a couple of spare mags, asap.

That way, if your single mag has issues feeding, especially feeding your favorite carry load, you have spares.

Personally, I wouldn't advise carrying an auto without a spare mag, anyway; not for the ammo as much as for the spare magazine. Mags are the weakest link in bottomfeeders...

Glad you had your wife pick out what she likes, and glad that she likes shooting it. Too many times, you see guys want to picky up a itty-bitty pistol for their "little woman", and she'll end up hating it.
Yeah, she doesn't have her CHL yet, so I wasn't that worried about it. I'll definitely be getting a spare mag or two for her before she starts carrying, so no worries there.

Check out impactguns.com for the mags. They have the flat ones for $24.99 and extended ones for $29.99 with free shipping. I need to order some also. Congrats on the new LC9, I just put ~75 rounds through mine yesterday without any problems. I really like how it groups at 3-10 yards. I need to run a lot more rounds but I think it's good to go. Just waiting on my plastic.
I'll have to check them out then. I want to pick her up some Federal Hydra-shoks too... and no one local has them in-stock, so I'll have to order them online too.

#6 ·
Nope. They didn't have any.

Yeah, she doesn't have her CHL yet, so I wasn't that worried about it. I'll definitely be getting a spare mag or two for her before she starts carrying, so no worries there.

I'll have to check them out then. I want to pick her up some Federal Hydra-shoks too... and no one local has them in-stock, so I'll have to order them online too.
Before you order those Hydrashoks...read this:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

The HydraShok has been surpassed by more modern designs as far as reliability and penetration.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum. there's nothing like your woman sharing the same passions and interest that you do. Good looking pistol, am sure you'll both enjoy.

#13 ·
I was thinking of getting this for my wife. Ended up getting the Hellcat. I love it, and it fires perfectly. My wife does not like it much for it hurts her fingers. Either way, we put Buffalo Bore HCFN bullets in it for self defense. Boy do those bark! Best defense ammo one can use for a .380

#14 ·
I was thinking of getting this for my wife. Ended up getting the Hellcat. I love it, and it fires perfectly. My wife does not like it much for it hurts her fingers. Either way, we put Buffalo Bore HCFN bullets in it for self defense. Boy do those bark! Best defense ammo one can use for a .380
You fell into the trap that so many men do - you bought a gun for your wife that you love without asking her opinion. Unfortunately, the gun you love doesn't fit her at all, so, how much do you think she's going to use it? That kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?

I know you were trying to be helpful, and you probably know a whole lot more about guns than she does. But one thing she does know a whole lot more about is what she does and doesn't like. She'll love you all the more if you take her to the gun shop or range and say "Here Honey - why don't you try out a few different guns and tell me which one you want". I guarantee you that the chances are much higher that she'll use or carry that one, as opposed to one you pick out for her.

Just my experience as a woman! I love that the OP did that for his wife. The only way I'd let my husband buy a gun for me is if I told him exactly the gun I wanted, wrote it down so he wouldn't make a mistake, and then sent him on his way with his checkbook!

#15 ·
She'll love you all the more if you take her to the gun shop or range and say "Here Honey - why don't you try out a few different guns and tell me which one you want". !
LOL! Something tells me that mine would naturally gravitate to the one that cost $1000 or better. :shock: Then I would have to say, a.........No. And I can only tell her "No" 3 times in one day.

But as a woman, you have made some excellent points for us guys to think about.

#17 ·
You fell into the trap that so many men do - you bought a gun for your wife that you love without asking her opinion. Unfortunately, the gun you love doesn't fit her at all, so, how much do you think she's going to use it? That kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?

I know you were trying to be helpful, and you probably know a whole lot more about guns than she does. But one thing she does know a whole lot more about is what she does and doesn't like. She'll love you all the more if you take her to the gun shop or range and say "Here Honey - why don't you try out a few different guns and tell me which one you want". I guarantee you that the chances are much higher that she'll use or carry that one, as opposed to one you pick out for her.

Just my experience as a woman! I love that the OP did that for his wife. The only way I'd let my husband buy a gun for me is if I told him exactly the gun I wanted, wrote it down so he wouldn't make a mistake, and then sent him on his way with his checkbook!
Well put, NG; you just summed up what I've seen too many guys do too many times...buy the "little woman" a "little pistol" that they HATE. Itt-bitty .380's are not pleasant to shoot (especially with BB's overhyped loads), hard to use because of miniscule grips and sights (especially for someone who's not an avid shooter), and just not a good choice to make for anyone else.

Far too many times, I've seen guys get the IBG (ittybittygun) for their wife/etc, and they got turned off shooting because it HURT amd they couldn't get reliable hits. Hell, I'm a self-professed recoil junky, and I don't like shootin' those IBG's...

The smartest thing any guy can do if he's looking at getting his wife/SO a firearm is--get her classes with someone who's used to teaching women to shoot handguns, and has access to a wide array of pistols. That way, she can find out what works for her...and then (WAKE UP, GUYS! THIS IS IMPORTANT!) BUY HER THE PISTOL SHE WANTS, NOT THE ONE YOU WANT HER TO HAVE. I don't CARE if you like XD's over Glocks; if she loves the Glock 19, you buy it for her (and vice versa, of course). You like 1911's, but she likes a SP101? Get her the friggin' wheelgun.

If she likes it, she'll likely shoot it more. If she shoots it more, she'll get more proficient with it. The more proficiency she has, the more likely she'll be to prevail if she ever needs to use the it...which is why you're buying her a gun in the first place, right?

#18 ·
Took my XGF to the range once. She did well with the .380 out of a Sig 230. She did well with the 9x19 out of a 92FS, but not the PT709. She fired the .45 once. No good. Gotta find something you're going to be comfortable with. I can fire about anything, she couldn't.

#19 ·
I was thinking of getting this for my wife. Ended up getting the Hellcat. I love it, and it fires perfectly. My wife does not like it much for it hurts her fingers.
NG hit it Exactly! This has been discussed many-a-time, but it means oh so much more coming from a female shooter. I pick out my pistols and my Wife picks out her pistols. She always asks my input, but the ultimate decision is hers. The other advice we live by is that she TRY it before buying it. Many pistols "feel" great at the counter, but which ones will she think feel great to Shoot?

USMCFieldMP... Here's to hoping that your Wife likes the LC9 enough to carry it Every Day. :)

#20 ·
Every time I get my wife a gun that I like, I end up having to go back and get more, hoping that one will stick. Dang her.

#21 ·
"LOL! Something tells me that mine would naturally gravitate to the one that cost $1000 or better. :shock: Then I would have to say, a.........No. And I can only tell her "No" 3 times in one day."

LOL! But very good point - OK, give her a price range that she has to stay within. Then tell her that if she practices, becomes proficient, and starts to carry everyday, you'll save up to buy her that $1000 that she was gravitating to! :) I wish my husband would do that for me..................

#22 ·
She loves it! She already takes it with her with her around the house at night (I work nights). Hopefully the Crossbread MiniTuck is comfortable enough for her to want to wear all the time. I assume it is, as just about everyone I know that owns one, loves them. We'll find out soon, as I'll probably be ordering it this week.

#23 ·
Cheaper Than Dirt got some Mags in-stock, so I snatched one up, along with some Federal Hydra-Shok rounds. Gonna stick with one magazine for now... hopefully that price will drop some, as $35 for a 7 round mag is a little bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Went out to the range with some 16oz water bottles and a silhouette target. Did pretty good from 10 yards out, every round impacted somewhere on the body. Ran some quick reaction drills (3 shots in 5-7 seconds, pistol is not holstered, pointed down at 45 degrees, 2 to the chest, 1 to the head) and did some slow firing, as well. She's still a bit nervous with it (fear of recoil, missing, etc - n00b stuff :p)... but that should dissipate over time. Her groupings did tighten up a good bit within the few hours that we were there. Hoping we can put a bunch of rounds downrange over the course of the next month or two, really perfect that accuracy - both in slow fire and quick fire. Need to figure out a good date to sign her up for the CHL course, so we can get it on the way.

Probably be ordering her a Crossbreed Minituck sooner or later too. REALLY don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for it... but you gotta do, what you gotta do.

#24 ·
congrats op. i really like the look and feel of the lc9, hope i get to shoot 1 soon.

on a side note, i can personally attest to what you think your SO wants isnt always the case. i figured the lcp and lcr would be neat guns for the ex-gf to try because they were light. except light = more recoil = more pain for her tiny hands. she hated them lol. ended up sticking with her rossi .38 because its simple and she shoots it decently.

#25 ·
I have an LC9 and like it alot. Thinking about using it as my carry gun. I also have the LCP but she is a snappy little thing.

Congrats to her on the new piece.

#26 ·
How do you folks compare this to the SR9? I'm looking at getting one of those since the asshats in Cali only allow <10 round mags... Really pisses me off that I spent all this time perfecting my 3.8 XDM for carry only to give in to the wife's wishes to move back to Cali and the damn thing is illegal now. No, I'm not modifying the magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.