Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, went to the gun shop today where a friend of mine works, he knew I wanted a revolver, and has be talking up his Taurus 85. well, just happens that they store had 2 used 85s in today. half an hour later, I walked out with the Taurus, a box of S&B fmj, a box of Win PDX1 +P and a Remora holster...he knows me too well...

·
Premium Member
127,415 Posts
Congratulations! Be sure to post a range report once you have fired it.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations! Be sure to post a range report once you have fired it.
will do, got a free range pass for purchasing the gun, but didn't like the hour wait today. way too happy, finally got something other than my XD45 to carry

one question before I start shooting the thing. it's manufacture date is 1988, according to the SN look up on the Taurus website, anybody know if it's +P rated? I don't want to go shooting ammo it's not rated for

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
will do, got a free range pass for purchasing the gun, but didn't like the hour wait today. way too happy, finally got something other than my XD45 to carry
In my experience, revolvers are similar to 1911s... once you get one, they seem to multiply. Strange, but true.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I would only put a +P through it if it were marked on the barrel for the +P load. There is quite a bit of extra pressure in one of those little things! Shooting 125(?) grain +P Critical Defense through my LCR has a harder recoil than a 158 gr standard.

One other thing, I'm not sure that the snubby revolvers can take full advantage of the +P loads anyway. I get a ton of muzzle flash even with +P loads designed for snubbies. I just don't see the point in wasting the gun powder to have a light show at the end of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
.... I get a ton of muzzle flash even with +P loads designed for snubbies. I just don't see the point in wasting the gun powder to have a light show at the end of the barrel.
Muzzle flash is fun... ask any owner of a Mosin-Nagant M38 or M44! ;)

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muzzle flash is fun... ask any owner of a Mosin-Nagant M38 or M44! ;)
if the BG is blind, i could get off a second shot at him more easily:p

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
AS stated above, I would only shoot +p .38 ammo on guns marked for it or 357mag. There are several std pressure loads incluing the good old 158gr LSWC that are good for a carry load.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a Taurus model 85 and really like it. It shoots well for a small revolver and is very easy to conceal. Use it in good health and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took the Taurus out yesterday and finally got a chance to shoot it, for a snubby it shoots pretty well at 15 feet it kept everything in the killzone on the target, shooting both double action and single action. nice little gun, though after shooting semi-autos exclusively, it's a little different shooting a wheel gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Snubbed noses are great guns, I have a taurus 2" bbl and with lighter loads I've reloaded for it, it keyholes. These need powders that burn fast and get that bullet out of the end of the barrel fast since there isn't as much room to build up pressure. Depending on what you are looking for, look up the capabilities of the gun and act accordingly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts