Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there was another gun show in town I decided to buy a CCW style semi-auto. I'm buying it now because my XD-40 Service is back at Springfield and I won't see it for probably two more weeks. I had planned to get the Sub-Compact later this year but my damaged psyche would not let me get the XD. Obtaining anpther firearm was the only way to sooth my XD depression.

After much investigation on how to spend my limited retirement income I chose the Taurus Millennium Pro PT140. $329+tax.

This is the much improved version from the old millenium model - it had polymer grip cracking problems with the .45 caliber.

It's a DAO with a manual safety and round-in-chamber indicator on the side. The trigger is long and rough but my dryfire practice is smoothing it out nicely. I will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow.

Kind of a nice feel to it, not as nice as the XD, but nice sights and it reminds me of my beloved XD.

Tom

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the updated .45. It felt great in my hand, but shot HORRIBLY. Not to disuade you after your purchase, but it woas one of the worst firearms I've owned.

Pro's: EASY to conceal, realitively light, overall decent reviews.
Con's: My trigger would not smooth, wild bullets(i.e could not hit a darn thing) Action was anything but smooth, and it was hard to remove the takedown pin.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have never shot a Melinium product, but I havn't heard very many good reviews.. The polymer grips crack, the trigger is said to be difficult, and generally in-accurate.

I have been reading that Taurus is re-tooling the pistol to take care of some of these problems. I will be looking forward to your range report.

Raymond

·
Registered
137 Posts
If the gun had a great trigger and the action felt like it was on ball bearings I would own another one. My next sub compact is either an XD9SC or a Glock 33. I wish Springfield would come out with a SC .357sig :p

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RoughNTough said:
If the gun had a great trigger and the action felt like it was on ball bearings I would own another one. My next sub compact is either an XD9SC or a Glock 33. I wish Springfield would come out with a SC .357sig :p
The Millenium Pro 9mm gets rave reviews even though its DAO. I wanted to stay with .40.

If the gun had a great trigger and smoother as you say it would cost another $100. It's all down to how much you can afford:
Taurus - ~$300
XD SC - ~400
Glock - ~500
Sig - ~600
1911 - ~900
etc

Since Taurus fixed the cracking problem with the Millennium .45 I felt safe in purchasing the Millennium Pro in .40

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
This is a double action only pistol and made for CCW. Smooth lines, concealed hammer, low profile sights. So.....

Sighting for center mass on a bad guy, I believe the shooter wins here 8)
For self defense, this is one of many acceptable choices on the market. If you want tight groups buy a target pistol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think that is a BS statement. A handgun should be as accurate as possible even at CCW range. A Glock 26 isn't much bigger, if at all, than this gun and I can easily group 1/5 of what that group looks like all the way out to 15 yards at least. I have heard of others doing it out to 25 yards or so.

Finding yourself in a self defense situation with a gun that groups like that can easily add charges of involuntary manslaughter because you shot an innocent bystander.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind shooting one of these to see how I group with it. Personally, I think we are looking at poor marksmanship not poor gun accuracy. At least based on other Taurus guns I have shot. Not this model though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can think what you like, but I think that it's funny as to how I can shoot groups like these all day long with my XD. Same distance, different gun....hmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
678 Posts
excellent picture :)

The funny thing I have found over the past few months is the inaccuracy of my shooting depends on the day I am shooting.

Here is the scenario, "Hey Uncle Todd, lets go shooting" - "Right on" I reply.

We get to the range, my newphew (12 years younger) says "I am da mang, lets see who can blow out the 10 hole" "I say, right on". I still have the target hanging on the wall, 9 shots in the 10 hole (a few went through the same bullet hole) and one in the 9 ring. It was a great day, the oldman put him to shame.

Fast forward to today, my groupings at 15 yards are a tiny bit tighter than what hobo posted.

I have come to the conclusion that either I am not shooting enough, or my style has changed, I am not sure.

I will be picking up some snap caps to help with trigger control, but have you guys found that a lighter trigger helps with groupings???

Thanks,

T

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After dry firing a snap cap at home for two days the DAO trigger action on my new PT140 smoothed out considerably.

I went to the outdoor range today and tested it from 20 feet. I was able to group around 3 - 4 inches. I couldn't do much else because more shooters showed up so I had to move back to the 25 yard tables. My accuracy with this 3.25" barrel from there sucked! I have to go back and sight this baby in by shooting in different distance stages.

By the way, this little gun ate all three of my different cartridges, WWB and UMC! The only problem I had was my right hand thumb would hit the magazine release on almost every other shot at first until I figured it out.

Finally, I have a .40 that shoots. I hope my XD-40 shoots this reliably when I get it back from SA hopefully next week.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts