Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded the S&W .380 Bodyguard that I bought my fiancee for an XD subcompact 9mm. I got $265 for the S&W, which I paid only $349 for new. I got the XD for $419. It is new.

The XDs are bedside guns with the extended mags and carry guns with the regular mags. The XD(m) sits next to me on the couch downstairs in the living room. They all go to the range frequently for good times. I'm down to these XDs and a S&W 642CT, which rides in my glove box, as far as handguns go. Next will be an SA TRP and I'm done for a while with the handguns. Right now I'm looking for a .338 Lapua to add to my rifle collection.

By the way, the .380 Bodyguard is such a POS. I'm so relieved that my girl doesn't have to rely on that garbage anymore. I was losing sleep over it. FYI, she won't use the 642CT that I bought her. Scared of it. Not sure why. She can outshoot anybody with my AR-15, but she's scared of that little revolver. I guess it's too loud or something.

Now I have:

1. XD compact .45 acp
  2. XD subcompact 9mm
  3. XD(m) 4.5" 9mm

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the Bodyguard?
Let me start by saying: if you have one and it functions perfectly and has no mechanical or superficial defects then you can trust your gun. That said, I couldn't trust mine. First, it had constant FTEs on the last round of the mag. No aftermarket mags or springs = big problem. The springs are super weak. I had two mags and they were both pitiful. Second, the slide locked back before the mag was empty several times. The first time was on the next-to-last round and let's just say the result was an embarrassing downrange shot when none of us was expecting it. Third, the finish was chipping. I take very good care of my guns and it was chipping immediately after our first trip to the range. Fourth, where the slide rides on the frame had a disturbing amount of wear after only a couple hundred rounds. I've had hundreds of guns over my lifetime and I was very shocked by the lack of quality and functionality of the BG .380. Some say they love them. To each his own.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the new purchase.
Thanks. I love my SA handguns. I really do. I've never been As attracted to a particular brand's line of guns before I found the XDs and XDms.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds like you got a good deal.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Now your cooking with GAS! :D Congrats. on your new family member.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations! It sounds like you got a good deal.
We went to Bud's first to check out the XD. Bud's only offered $200 for the BG. That pissed me off. They also showed a price of $478 for the XD when the website said $431. They have some screwy pricing issues going on there. I understand that they buy different batches from different sellers, but it gets to be a PITA when you're looking at a lot of different guns, which I do when I'm trying to find the perfect fit. I asked the sales guy why the price was $478 when the website said $431 and he ignored me and acted like he was distracted. I wasn't born yesterday.

Anyway, another dealer here in Lexington has always had better deals so I keep trading and buying there. The selection is not as good, by a long shot, but the prices and people are great. I also feel like I got a good deal.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now your cooking with GAS! :D Congrats. on your new family member.
Thanks. We're headed to the Clear Creek range at Cave Run tomorrow. It's an outdoor range where we just sit around for a few hours talking and having a good time with the other shooters. I can't wait to see if she loves her gun. Even if we wind up going back to .380s for her, I'll still keep the XD.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is a nice collection. You keep your guns very nice, clean & shiny !
That subcompact looks so cool, that is definitely next on my list ! Then I will have three XD/XDM's too ! :mrgreen: The XD subcompacts look like no other on the market.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks ya'll. I've sold and traded many guns, but I'll be keeping my XDs and XD(m)s.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm kinda in the opposite boat.

I've been carrying a sub-compact daily for about 3 years now. I'm looking for something a little smaller to carry around and the BG has been at the top of my list. I haven't shot one but I've handled them and several people that I see at monthly shoots own them with nothing but good things to say.

For only $350ish new I'm certainly not trading the 3" on it and if I don't like it a $100 loss on it isn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting thread. I'm kinda in the opposite boat.

I've been carrying a sub-compact daily for about 3 years now. I'm looking for something a little smaller to carry around and the BG has been at the top of my list. I haven't shot one but I've handled them and several people that I see at monthly shoots own them with nothing but good things to say.

For only $350ish new I'm certainly not trading the 3" on it and if I don't like it a $100 loss on it isn't the end of the world.
People have different opinions. I had an EAN serial number, so mine was definitely a newer BG. After the second time breaking it down after 100-200 rounds at the range, I knew this gun was not up to my standards. The metal parts that rubbed together were wearing badly. To each his own. My opinion is that the BG .380 is a really cheap gun as far as quality goes. Only problem: it's expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts