Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheel's had such a good deal on financing that I had to sign up. 0% for 6 months, plus $15 coupon, and $50 in rebate rewards for buying with their card.

how could I not buy another 650?!

So i bought the press w/ 223 conversion, the case feeder, the SR plate that goes with it, powder charge sensor, and about $250 worth of extra crap. all said and done was about $800 or so.

Took everything out of the box and drilled holes into the bench, mounted it, forgot the cartridge bin mounts to the two right side bolts... Attached the case feeder pole to the press... forgot that it's easier to do that first THEN mount the cartridge bin mount. Put the powder funnel on... forgot to take the small charge bar out and replace with rifle bar, and set the activation depth and then charge weight with 2520. Nuckered around with the powder charge sensor until that was kind of tolerable (depending on web thickness, it goes off here and there, so i just have to look at the slider when it does). Grabbed the RCBS TC bullet seater, got it set up for 2.200 COAL 55 gr. FMJ-BTs with a .001 taper...

...and proceeded to load every Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT I had on hand (about 700) in about an hour and a half. I say hour and a half, and that seems really slow, buuuuut i had some annoying issues:

3 things i forgot about or were new to me...

the bolt on the front right interferes with the nut that holds the handle on the press. I suppose a recessed carage bolt would fix that, but the bottom stroke wont change (much) so whatever... the old 650 is the same way.

.223 cases get hung up as they fall down the tube where the funnel and the tube meet. There is a shelf created by the junction of these two parts and the only way i could figure out how to fix it is to tape the two joints together so they form a ramp. Not an easy task BTW...

also

every now and then, a .223 case will go in upside down. that's annoying as hell because i have to take the (tapped) tube off and clear it because it will not attempt to drop an upside down case. the shoulders of the two cases pinch the case.

I wonder how I can fix that permanently... suggestions?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
A longer tube, maybe bevel the inside? Not sure what you mean about the bolt, I don't seem to have any issue with my 3yr old 650 setup for 45acp.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The other 650 is set for 45acp as well and that has been a Rock Star. The tube sits to far forward. I have beveled out about as much as I dare, and it's still not 100%. I just want it where I can clear a misfeed without reinventing the wheel putting it back.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Sheel's had such a good deal on financing that I had to sign up. 0% for 6 months, plus $15 coupon, and $50 in rebate rewards for buying with their card.

how could I not buy another 650?!

So i bought the press w/ 223 conversion, the case feeder, the SR plate that goes with it, powder charge sensor, and about $250 worth of extra crap. all said and done was about $800 or so.

Took everything out of the box and drilled holes into the bench, mounted it, forgot the cartridge bin mounts to the two right side bolts... Attached the case feeder pole to the press... forgot that it's easier to do that first THEN mount the cartridge bin mount. Put the powder funnel on... forgot to take the small charge bar out and replace with rifle bar, and set the activation depth and then charge weight with 2520. Nuckered around with the powder charge sensor until that was kind of tolerable (depending on web thickness, it goes off here and there, so i just have to look at the slider when it does). Grabbed the RCBS TC bullet seater, got it set up for 2.200 COAL 55 gr. FMJ-BTs with a .001 taper...

...and proceeded to load every Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT I had on hand (about 700) in about an hour and a half. I say hour and a half, and that seems really slow, buuuuut i had some annoying issues:

3 things i forgot about or were new to me...

the bolt on the front right interferes with the nut that holds the handle on the press. I suppose a recessed carage bolt would fix that, but the bottom stroke wont change (much) so whatever... the old 650 is the same way.

.223 cases get hung up as they fall down the tube where the funnel and the tube meet. There is a shelf created by the junction of these two parts and the only way i could figure out how to fix it is to tape the two joints together so they form a ramp. Not an easy task BTW...

also

every now and then, a .223 case will go in upside down. that's annoying as hell because i have to take the (tapped) tube off and clear it because it will not attempt to drop an upside down case. the shoulders of the two cases pinch the case.

I was bidding on a 650 on ebay over the weekend. It was used and came with out any die or shell plates no conversion kits or any thing, just the bare press and the case feeder with out any plates.

I bid 350.00 early in the auction and watched in amazement while the bid went to $575 and $90 shipping! What posses any one to pay that much for a used press? I can drive to dillon"s and buy a brand new press set up for one caliber for $566.95!

Add the complete case feeder for $220 and you have a compete reloading machine for little more then the stripped used one, after the $90 shipping on ebay.

My math shows that used press costing $771 as opposed to $786 brand new!

don

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I was bidding on a 650 on ebay over the weekend. It was used and came with out any die or shell plates no conversion kits or any thing, just the bare press and the case feeder with out any plates.

I bid 350.00 early in the auction and watched in amazement while the bid went to $575 and $90 shipping! What posses any one to pay that much for a used press? I can drive to dillon"s and buy a brand new press set up for one caliber for $566.95!

Add the complete case feeder for $220 and you have a compete reloading machine for little more then the stripped used one, after the $90 shipping on ebay.

My math shows that used press costing $771 as opposed to $786 brand new!

don
E-bay & auctions, gotta love the "I have to have" it mentality. I was at a local firearm auction last year, bid against a couple guys for a NIB 650, no dies, no case feeder, it went for $545 + 15% + 8% St!! I just turned & told him you could have just bought it for less ordered from Dillon! People.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Make sure you have the piece that's "rifle" on one side and "handgun" on the other, installed correctly. Correctly adjust the unit that moves the case from the tube to the green funnel.

You're doing something wrong, that's for sure. :)

My second, "new" 650 is working as well or better than the old one did. One thing I have done with the old one is to correctly allign the platform, using a tool that Dillon furnishes for the asking.

I never have .223 cases enter the tube upside-down. Something's going on there, too. Whatever it is will be simple to fix.

If in doubt, call Dillon. AFter you've been on hold for about 30 minutes, minimum, somebody will come on the line and help you get that new 650 running.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
that's not where the cases are hanging up Merc... they're hanging up at the top where the case drops, at the sensor. They feed into the shell plate just fine.
IF they're hanging up at the micro-switch, then the microswitch arm needs a little adjusting. (bending)

I've never had hangups anywhere else, unless I was running the casefeeder faster than necessary for the number of cases in the casefeeder.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IF they're hanging up at the micro-switch, then the microswitch arm needs a little adjusting. (bending)

I've never had hangups anywhere else, unless I was running the casefeeder faster than necessary for the number of cases in the casefeeder.
they hang up on the switch because of the ledge created between the top of the tube and the switch/funnel assembly.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
they hang up on the switch because of the ledge created between the top of the tube and the switch/funnel assembly.
The few problems I've had @ the switch were corrected by bending the switch arm to accommodate whatever kind of brass I was loading.

Could you post a pic of a case stuck at the switch?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you'd think i'd actually come through on this... sorry for the delay... big putz, i know.

This is what happens when the case gets stuck behind the lever and it just keeps on feeding. It slips behind the lever and a new case pins it there.

I put tape on the lever to make it a tad fatter, and that seems to be working BUT there's an issue with the tape i used. it's kinda grabby... so a case that lands on it squarely enough, it wont drop. just have to rethink my paddle.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I own a couple of 650s, but only reload pistol cartridges with them. The lever on the sensor just seems too long for rifle cases and the type of malfunction pictured here seems inevitable if the case gets behind it, though I don't know how that happens. If the sensor could be adjusted to allow less of the lever into the tube it might work, but I don't remember such an adjustment being possible on mine, though I am not in front of them at the moment.

I would call Dillon about this. It is possible they have a fix for this because I cannot see that you would be the only one affected by this. If they have a solution, they will apply it at no charge or send you the parts to do it. They are really good about this sort of thing. Keep that picture handy, they might want to see it too.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
The reason the lever is made accessible by Dillon is so you can bend the end of the lever to accommodate different size brass and, I suppose, to clear the occasional problem that might occur downstream of the switch. You just need to bend the end of the lever out a little, so that the switch stops when a piece of brass gets to the switch. It's a really simple fix. Don't overthink it. ;)

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
the problem is that brass will slip in behind the lever though... that's not a result of the lever being too short...
I never said anything about the lever's being too short. Why don't you humor me and bend the lever out a little and see what happens? There's no way for brass to "slip by" the lever and get stuck, if the switch turns the motor off when it should.

You probably have a better handle on this than I, as I've only loaded 300k-or-so rounds on my 650. :mrgreen: The levers on both my 650s are bent, not straight, and they both work 100%. Just recalling from memory, but I'm pretty sure the casefeeder manual mentions bending the switch activating lever.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
as i said, it slips behind the switch. Here's a photo that shows it a little better perhaps?

there's a large gap between the back of the tube and the side of the switch, and that's where the brass sometimes falls into getting stuck behind the thing. this releases the lever and the flood of brass drops in pinning it and it can't articulate.

how do you suggest i bend it (geometrically i mean)?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i got it working pretty darn well. twisted the lever 7 ways to Sunday, electrical taped up the lever at the bottom, cut off one side closest to the loader of it because it was getting jammed back, put one layer of scotch tape on the whole thing to make it slick, and i've got no feeding issues in about 200 rounds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts