Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time owner of the Springfield line and picked up a 9mm XD Subcompact the other day. It came with a 16 round mag. The grip safety was a new item for me. What worked best at the range yesterday was to use the middle pad of my trigger finger. This enabled an adequate secure contact with the grip safety with my palm. My trigger pull gauge shows between 7 and 7.5. Trigger pulls were easily discernable with no surprises finding the wall. With that being the case I'm going to give it some break-in time to see if that trigger pull number will drop a bit. I've done some reading on aftermarket triggers since I like to tinker. But at this point I may need to do nothing. On breakdown, the fit and finish of a quality gun stood out. I'm impressed! Ordered a spare 16 round mag via the Gun Mag folks.
I shot about 75 of my reloads yesterday with no glitches. I reload per a particular gun and always do the Plunk test to determine COL and bullet seating. This is a fun gun to shoot. It's a tad beefier than my other subcompacts but I feel that helps to minimize recoil.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I bought an XD9 Service (the 4" barrel) model several years ago. I did do the PRP trigger upgrade kit to it. (Posted about my trigger install experiences in this forum, in times past). And used that pistol to get my Texas LTC, scoring 249/250. Already used to a grip safety since I shot 1911s previously.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I have never given the grip safety a thought. So many people make a big deal out of it but if you’re using a proper grip it just works automatically. Pun intended. And as you’ve noticed they are built very well, actually in my opinion, much better than the “G” brand. Enjoy your new purchase.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I have two XD40 SC's both Mod 2, one Bi-tone stock, and a FDE PRP'd, I like both the PRP trigger is better, but I like keeping the other unmolested, it proves that you don't have to modify the gun. The PRP one just takes a sweet gun and adds another spoonful or two of pure sugar. So the Modified FDE one is pure sugar delight for me. I added PRP's memory pad grip safety lever, which is reminiscent of a custom 1911's memory pad. Works for me.

I also have XD45 SC Mod2, PRP trigger. It has a bigger longer slide due to the 3.3" barrel (40's have 3.0") I love the 45 till I pick up a 40. The 40 and I imagine the 9, feel like sports cars compared to a Cadillac.

Reactions: NVBob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the comments! Very informative! Glad to be a part of the Forum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Springfield makes good stuff. Have owned many polymer xd’s through the years as well as a 1911 from Springfield. No hiccups at all. I’ve thinned the herd through the years and as I get older I’m more into the compact stuff. I currently have an xds mod 2 45 acp and carry it quite often in the warmer months. I also have a hellcat which i like also. In the summer wearing shorts one of my Springfields is usually on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! Previously never considered the SA brand. Mainly because I never knew anyone that owned one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Springfield Armory of today is a "modern" business construct. Not to be confused with Gen. George Washington's cannon and munitions armament factory established during the Revolutionary War period (i.e. the "original" Springfield Armory in Massachusetts). And the same original armory that produced the M1 Garand during WW2.

The XD line of sidearms were originally pistols designed and produced by a company in Croatia (based on their HS2000 pistol). This was basically a pistol designed to compete against Glock (polymer-frame, striker fired, etc.). SA saw the potential and joined forces with the Croatian company to import the newly designated XD model(s) to America. I believe the Hellfire is made in Croatia too.

Today's SA also manufactures some fine (mid-priced) 1911 models. My last acquisition from them was the first 1911 model I ever bought in 9mm. I'm "old school" .45ACP when it comes to 1911s. But SA's Ronin Operator in 9mm is at a price point that's hard to beat!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is a keeper! Glad you found one in stock. The big box stores are hit & miss on inventory. I got mine at a mom 'n pop. They tend to have a better distributor relationship while the big boys march to the tune of "You get what you're sent". When you do the warranty registration you'll get an email from Springfield mentioning a 90 day window of discounted products. You can get spare mags at a good price but there's that 90 day time frame for the sale price. Here's what I paid for mine:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is a keeper! Glad you found one in stock. The big box stores are hit & miss on inventory. I got mine at a mom 'n pop. They tend to have a better distributor relationship while the big boys march to the tune of "You get what you're sent". When you do the warranty registration you'll get an email from Springfield mentioning a 90 day window of discounted products. You can get spare mags at a good price but there's that 90 day time frame for the sale price. Here's what I paid for mine:

Nice. Mine was surprisingly $449. I expected higher. I’ll have to check out that warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice. Mine was surprisingly $449. I expected higher. I’ll have to check out that warranty.
We live in a time where prices and availability are all over the map. I'm thankful that I found one available. You did good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts