Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to cabellas and decided that I'm in dire need of a cheap target pistol. So it was between the Sig Mosquito, and the Walther P22. Ended up getting the Sig because the size was closest to my Xdm40c. Bought standard CCI ammo and boy oh boy...that gun is a tack driver but the damn thing stove piped and ftf'ed so much. I went home to disassemble it and noticed how much grease they put on the internals. I plan on going out again soon and trying it after the new clean/greased. Put 200 rounds on it so far of CCI standard target round.

On the plus side! Shooting that gun is making me control my XDm aloooot better. More range time needed.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Good Freakin' Luck

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had fte and ftf at 1st with my Mosquito Sport I have since run 500 CCI Mini Mags thru it and now use bulk Fed 37gn Hi Speed hollow points without problems. I think they are just too tight and the recoil spring is too strong when they are new. I also have a couple friends with Walther P22s and they have problems if not using Mini Mags

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have a Sig Mosquito and I rarely have FTE, FTL, FTF, anymore. It wasn't easy and I did consider trading it in, but I figured it out and I'm glad I did. Here is what I've learned with mine, and now that it works, I love this little pistol.

1) I know they recommend CCI Mini Mags in the manual, but my Mosquito didn't seem to like it, at all. I tried, I mean really tried to make it take CCI Mini Mag but it didn't work. The best recommendation I had from the LGS was to just start trying different ammo since the .22lr vary so much. I've tried probably 15 different types and found the Federal Bulk in the blue box works for me. No guarantee it will work for you. As I mentioned, its very particular.

2) The Hyper Velocity ammunition with the tighter spring works too. The shorter spring included with the pistol is for the higher velocity rounds and in my case, the Remington Yellow Jacket rounds worked best. Yeah, I know I'm shooting Yellow Jackets through my Mosquito... I'm just cheap so I kept looking and eventually found a bulk round that fed reliably.

3) Keep it clean. I can usually fire around 200 rds before I start to have problems and it is usually with the feeding of the rounds into the breach. The tolerances seem so tight that once enough build up occurs the bullets don't line up correctly and get bent while the chamber is closing. I keep a snake and a small rag in my range bag with a small bottle of gun oil. If I start having problems, I do a quick wipe down and keep going. The take down is so easy, there's no reason not to clean it up.

4) Lube it appropriately. I know I hate it when people say that, but I think it's very gun dependent so it's a matter of trial and error. I found on my Mosquito, less is better. I was over-lubing it and it would gunk up and jam. Now, I use very little oil after cleaning and have switched to a gun grease for the rails and the other areas that seem to rub more than others. The amount of grease needed is also very small, I only use a drop about the size of the end of a ball point pen and apply it with the plastic pick that came with a cleaning kit.

5) Extra Magazines. I've got 4 mags now and I'm seriously considering a few more. I've only got the metal ones, got them from Aim Surplus but considering how easy it is to shoot, and each mag only holds 10 rounds, you spend a lot of time re-loading.

6) Enjoy! Once I figured out what my gun likes and how to maintain it, it has been a joy to take to the range. I've shot more than 1000 rounds of the Federal Blue Box with very few problems. I will often throw my Mosquito and 100 rds of ammo in the backpack so I can hit the range after work for a little stress relief.

Of course, even after all that, if I had known what it would take to get it working reliably, I'm not sure I would have bought it in the first place. But now, because it is a blast to shoot, I love the ergonomics, and it's such a cool looking pistol, that I'm glad I have it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Use the long spring with CCI minimags that are 1240 fps. The shorter (bigger diameter) spring is for the super hi velocity (like 1800 FPS). I could shoot the really cheap Federal (1250 FPS) with the longer spring. I did however rub the silicone cloth over all of that ammo. Also try the Winchester XPS 1300 FPS; Worked OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts