Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The allure of the GSSF was just too much to handle. Today I took a 3 hour drive to Austin with my coupon in hand and came home with a new Gen4 G17.

First, the stock trigger is barely adequate. Apparently Glock decided to add a bump in the trigger bar that makes the trigger heavier in an effort to give it a more "direct" feeling, what ever the hell that is. Some may like it, I personally don't. The Gen3 trigger feels better to me so I replaced the stock trigger/trigger bar with a bump-less Gen4 trigger/trigger bar as well as a 4.5# connector. This is much better. Maybe not as "crisp" but a lot smoother.

Other than that the pistol itself is just fine. There is a possibility that it may decide to try and blind me by spitting brass at my face so I have a LWD extractor around just in case. Tomorrow I'm going to my weekly league shoot to put the Gen4 though the paces and see how she does.

BTW- for those of you who, like me, think the regular Glock grip feels like a 2x4, the Gen4 grip without a backstrap makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Was just browsing glocktalk and saw your post there. Nice gun!!

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Very nice! Congrats.! Let us know how it did after ya put it through your "paces".

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
how do you run it with out a back strap?

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
The allure of the GSSF was just too much to handle. Today I took a 3 hour drive to Austin with my coupon in hand and came home with a new Gen4 G17.

First, the stock trigger is barely adequate. Apparently Glock decided to add a bump in the trigger bar that makes the trigger heavier in an effort to give it a more "direct" feeling, what ever the hell that is. Some may like it, I personally don't. The Gen3 trigger feels better to me so I replaced the stock trigger/trigger bar with a bump-less Gen4 trigger/trigger bar as well as a 4.5# connector. This is much better. Maybe not as "crisp" but a lot smoother.

Other than that the pistol itself is just fine. There is a possibility that it may decide to try and blind me by spitting brass at my face so I have a LWD extractor around just in case. Tomorrow I'm going to my weekly league shoot to put the Gen4 though the paces and see how she does.

BTW- for those of you who, like me, think the regular Glock grip feels like a 2x4, the Gen4 grip without a backstrap makes a world of difference.
That was good thinking on your part getting the LWD extractor for it.

Which recoil spring assembly does it have?

I wish solutions had been around when I was dealing with my early production G17 Gen4 nightmare. I traded it in for my XDM-9.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you run it with out a back strap?
The Gen4 works a bit differently than a M&P or a XDm. With the XDm/M&P, if you remove the back strap you have a gaping hole on the back of the grip. With the Gen4 Glock the frame is 2mm slimmer from front to back so it is essentially a "small" grip. The 2 included back straps add on to the existing frame to make it thicker.

That was good thinking on your part getting the LWD extractor for it.

Which recoil spring assembly does it have?

I wish solutions had been around when I was dealing with my early production G17 Gen4 nightmare. I traded it in for my XDM-9.
Hopefully I don't have to use it but I'm happy to have it just in case. The Gen4 I have has the newer counter-bored slide and the corresponding 0-2 RSA. Sorry your Gen4 was crap, I'm knocking on wood in the hopes that I don't have a similar experience.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The LWD extractor fixed my Gen G19 brass in the face issues. I love my G19, fantastic gun.

·
Premium Member
127,424 Posts
Good for you! They are great pistols.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts