Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal with this refinish job was to get as close to the orignal finish as possible. The orignal bulgarian finish sucks and im pretty sure they are using the same spray paint I am lol. I did not blas or park anything, I sanded the receiver to make it rough and painted it with Rustoleum Appliance paint and once dry im going to bake it at 400* for an hour.

Test Sample.

L to R Rustoleum Appliance paint, Rustoleum Extreme Heat BBQ paint, and Rustoleum Extreme Heat BBQ Paint flat

Before

On the portable drying rack

Once it gets baked I will post pics of the completed rifle. The Orignal finish on this thing was pretty glossy and found some good intel on the AK Forum the appliance paint once baked matches pretty well. And you can tell from my samples its almost to the T match.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the finished product.

The bad part....

This was caused by putting on a second coat before the paint was fully dry!! The directions say you can put a second coat on with in 30 mins, after that you HAVE to wait 1 week lol. I baked it in the oven at 380* so im pretty sure I can put a second coat on now, but I am going to let it cure for a week or so and sand this down and repaint it hopefully it will come out smooth.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Here is the finished product.

The bad part....

This was caused by putting on a second coat before the paint was fully dry!! The directions say you can put a second coat on with in 30 mins, after that you HAVE to wait 1 week lol. I baked it in the oven at 380* so im pretty sure I can put a second coat on now, but I am going to let it cure for a week or so and sand this down and repaint it hopefully it will come out smooth.
Just out of curiosity, why a different color for pistol grip and hand guard?

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, why a different color for pistol grip and hand guard?
Thats the way the Bulgarians made them, that pistol grip is not staying and was only there for the time being. The hand guards and stock are the same plum color.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks :) Im refinishing an AKS-74 also the same way, I will post pics once its finished.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fine looking rifle. I personally love the mis-matched colours on a proper AK-74. Need a Bakelite magazine to finish it off.
Thanks! I have some bakelites but figured a Russian plum would be a better match ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
That paint looks like it turned out really good! I want to do the same with my WASR but I have a couple of questions.
1. Did you paint the barrel also? And if so, did you also sand it down to the bare metal? (I don't know if I have an oven big enough to fit my rifle)
2. Is it necessary to bake the paint on or was the that just a personal preference?
3. How has the paint held up thus far?
I definitly appreciate any extra help you can give.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts