Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M&P 15-22 and a boresnake. I have tried numerous attempts to try to push the boresnake through the barrel of the rifle, but the boresnake would not pass through no more than about 5 inches. It seems like it snags. I tried taping the cleaning rod to the boresnake to guide it but it would not go through.

Does anyone have the boresnake and the M&P 15-22?

What am I doing wrong?! :confused:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Are you sure you are using the correct sized bore snake? Mine is a Hoppes boresnake. The specific part number is 24011.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a M&P 15-22 and a boresnake. I have tried numerous attempts to try to push the boresnake through the barrel of the rifle, but the boresnake would not pass through no more than about 5 inches. It seems like it snags. I tried taping the cleaning rod to the boresnake to guide it but it would not go through.

Does anyone have the boresnake and the M&P 15-22?

What am I doing wrong?! :confused:
You drop the brass weight end through the barrel from the action end and pull it through by grasping the brass at the muzzle end. You don't push it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You drop the brass weight end through the barrel from the action end and pull it through by grasping the brass at the muzzle end. You don't push it.
+1. I didn't think about that small brass end. I assumed the OP knew that already. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure you are using the correct sized bore snake? Mine is a Hoppes boresnake. The specific part number is 24011.
yes I also have the same one, which is bright green and black.

I do try to just let it slide through but it would stop after about 3inches.

does your easily slide through?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Are you sure you have no obstructions in the barrel?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bore snakes are not easily pulled through. They are very tight so the brushes can clean fouling from the barrel.

·
Premium Member
127,440 Posts
I've had no problems with mine.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
As stated above;
The weighted end should easily be gravity fed through the barrel and then pulled through.
If it isn't, you either have an obstructed barrel or the wrong size bore-snake.
Or perhaps you have a .22 pistol bore-snake.
Is it long like the pic below..?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The weighted end should easily be gravity fed through the barrel and then pulled through.
If it isn't, you either have an obstructed barrel or the wrong size bore-snake.
Or perhaps you have a .22 pistol bore-snake..
I never thought about that..I bet your correct.

OP, how long overall is your BoreSnake?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

After dropping the heavy brass end, pulling it takes some force. Not too much, but you can feel the bristles doing it's work. I have to wrap the leading end around my hand and give it a good tug from the muzzle end.

If you cant even drop that small brass end through the chamber, you've got something blocking the bore.

If the bore is clear and you are still having problems, I suspect the bristle part of the boresnake is too big to fit the barrel which is perplexing is you say you got the type made for .22 - .223 calibers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes I have the correct one.

Update: I remembered to check my boresnake. I hung it on a wall and attached weights to the end. I suspected that the rope itself was too big which caused it to not go through. After attempting it again through my .22 rifle and handgun, everything is fine and it goes through with a little work.

thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts