Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with all my experience in guns I love to use boresnakes to clean. I have a tough time getting people who have never used one before to use a Boresnake.

I have a friend who recently got into firearms. He bought an AR 15 and bought a stupid cleaning kit. You push a cable through the gun buisness end first then insert a cleaning accessories at the breech and pull through the direction that a bullet would travel. You need to do this several times. I have not convinced him a bore snake is better! I don't know why some people don't use one. Instead they spend all night cleaning (I know a few that do, one guy will spend hours a night cleaning and he doesn't even know why.)

Also I own a bore snake for 44, 45 caliber. I use it for a ruger 44 mag Blackhawk and xd40 sc. Anything wrong with using it for a 40 caliber? I haven't had any issues. Besides 44 mag is actually .429 caliber

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bore snakes are a good tool and I use them on most of my guns. I have one also for my AR as well as the 'stupid' cable thing. I like both depending on whom much I'm cleaning that day.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I use Boresnakes but only as either a field expedient method if at a class or something like that, or as a "finishing touch" to cleaning the bore. My primary method is a Tipton carbon fiber one piece rod with Tipton brass jags to hold the patches (those jags are THE BOMB btw, I love how well they work!), Hoppe's No.9 and bore brushes. After I run a wet patch down the barrel I let it sit for a few minutes, then work the bore over with the bore brush on the rod, then run dry patches through it til they come out clean. After that I run the boresnake through it to get those last little bits of fouling that the patches can never quite get. All my bores come out bright and shiny clean this way.

I like boresnakes but to me they are not a replacement for a proper rod and patches setup.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I'm with AirForceAce--except I use Dewey rods.

The boresnake is good for a quick cleaning before leaving the range, but it doesn't get the bore as clean as a proper brush and patches.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about my rant, at this point my friend had only shot one round through his AR 15. Thus why I recommended a bore snake. But yes its better to run a few wet patches through and let it soak for a few minutes if debris is built up. I make reloads and run them through my ruger blackhawk 44 mag, and I found the bore snake really helps clean the cylinder bores. They can be fun to clean. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have a few and like them though I think the 45 isn't snug enough. Every time I try folding patches I drool on myself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A .45 bore snake does a crappy job of cleaning a .45 ACP bore. It's exceedingly loose. I returned the snake and took the advice of a gun store employee: use a .50 caliber brush, which it turns out fits a .45 ACP bore surprisingly well.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I recently got two. It makes cleaning the colt (chrome lined bore) a breeze. Also turns the 10/22 into a three minute cleaning job.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Love mine. I clean my guns after every range trip so using the bore snake is perfect.

sent from the german sheperd next to me

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A .45 bore snake does a crappy job of cleaning a .45 ACP bore. It's exceedingly loose. I returned the snake and took the advice of a gun store employee: use a .50 caliber brush, which it turns out fits a .45 ACP bore surprisingly well.
I find the absolute same thing true!! I bought my 44 to 45 caliber bore snake for my 1911 in 45, ruger Blackhawk in 44 magnum, and xd40 sc. It works so well in my Blackhawk and even my xd (such a short barrel in my xd to clean lol). Best cleaning job ever for the cylinder bores of my 44 magnum but so loose in my 45 acp. I wet the barrel of my 1911, run a brush through a few times and then a brush with two patches rolled over it, and finally the Boresnake.

The reality ? Real bore of a 44 magnum Is close to 0.429 inches and not 44. The 44 mag's parent case was the 44 special so they carried the 44 name from that. 44/45 bore snake is tight in 0.4, and .429 but not 0.45 from my personal experience

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
wow, I have to pull pretty hard to get the 50 cal one through my 50 cal muzzle loader. Is the 50 cal pistol version optimized for smaller bores?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I use bore snakes on several firearms.... haven't had any problems with them and they do a pretty good job on my 15-22 / AR and Shotgun. Agree with others here that a dedicated bore brush and pads can do a better job for a heavier cleaning.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
They do almost as good as a rod in a chrome lined barrel... Since they are so easy to clean.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
They do almost as good as a rod in a chrome lined barrel... Since they are so easy to clean.
They do in fact do a pretty good job on chrome lined barrels. Same for the stainless barrel on my 10/22 Takedown, though I still maintain that a rod and patches are the best way. But snakes make a good "finishing touch" to run through a couple times after getting as much as you can with the patches. Snakes also help get lint and fuzz that builds up near the muzzle of my CCW gun too.

Again I like snakes for field-expedient cleaning or for a finishing touch, but they're not a replacement for good rod and patches.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This old dog has been using Hoppes 9 and patches for many decade.

Seems to me that once you use a boresnake a few times, it's like sending a dirty patch down the tube.

It is coated in powder, debris, oil, gunk .. doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Doc

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
This old dog has been using Hoppes 9 and patches for many decade.

Seems to me that once you use a boresnake a few times, it's like sending a dirty patch down the tube.

It is coated in powder, debris, oil, gunk .. doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Doc
image.jpeg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts