Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 Hoppe's Boresnakes for Christmas, one for my .223 and the other for my XD 9. I thought they would be perfect for a quick barrel clean, but they actually worked a lot better than I expected, makes me want to give up the rod and patches. I've only used them 1 time each though, you guys have any personal opinions on them?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I use a 9mm, .40, and .223 boresnake for 99% of my gun cleaning.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I've got one for my .40 and I think it works great!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
1. Sliced Bread
2. bore snake quick bore cleaner

'nough said??????

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i LOVE them i use them on all my rifles but i dont really think they are needed on short barreled pistols. but i use the ones for my rifles 99% of the time the only time i use something else is for a super duper detailed clean but even then i do use the bore snake but i use the rod and patches also

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I love them, the only way I clean my guns!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have many. I like them as well. I don't have to break down my weapon to swab the barrel. Good for the field but dont forget the rest of the gun.
There those who say the bore snake picks up debris and retains it; therefor scratching the barrel on the next cleaning.:confused::confused::confused: Otis cleaning systems warn against this. Who knows. I use them in the field and have used them since Mid '90's. I haven't noticed anything to support these claimes.
They are washable but I don't know that simple washing will remove fouling from the fabric.
Your call.:wink:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I can't imagine going back to rods, brushes, and patches. I love 'em!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
We should all have a Bore-Snake for each caliber and after shooting our guns run it through a couple of times. If you're ever on your way home after an outing and come upon a shooting incident (or accused of using your weapon), forensics can quickly check and verify that it was not your weapon. On the other hand, if you're ever in need of your weapon it'll be ready and able to do its assigned task.
I have found that a plastic soap bar container is the perfect size to store them in, and allows enough room to store a small container of gun-oil. My snakes don't get tangled and are easily retrieved from the bottom of my shooting bag. Each caliber is plainly marked on the lid.

Reactions: daveIT

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I love them and use them on all my XDs all the time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For Pistols they are great!!! but for rifles i use them for quick field cleaning at home i use my rods... just gotta make sure your boresnake is clean b4 every use specially the brass brush section.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love them, I used them a couple years ago for my 9 and since buy them with the purchase of every new caliber. New purchase=gun,ammo,boresnake.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I use them regularly for the quick clean while at the range exit tables prior to heading home.

That said, I do NOT believe that they replace good old fashioned strip down, clean, lubricate, reassemble.

Call me old fashioned but:
-I maintain all equipment (ESPECIALLY things I consider mission/survival critical) in top shape. I just refuse to slack off on things that I have both invested in, and which might one day prove to be my (or my loved ones) safety line.
-In a perverse twist of fate, I have found that similar to my ladies knitting, its almost therapeutic to sit in front of the boob tube and do my maintenance tasks. Long bad day at work, just want to sit like a veggie and do something mindless: on goes the food channel (my weakness) and out come the maintenance/cleaning supplies. Of course, it helps to keep the better half happy by doing so on the end of the couch near a cracked window!!!

I am NOT lecturing you to change your attitude about routine sometimes boring duties, but have found for myself personally, that it is now a relaxation moment in an otherwise often chaotic life. Just my experience!

Directly back to the topic - the snakes are great, but I have found not nearly as thorough for long term care.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use them regularly for the quick clean while at the range exit tables prior to heading home.

That said, I do NOT believe that they replace good old fashioned strip down, clean, lubricate, reassemble.

Call me old fashioned but:
-I maintain all equipment (ESPECIALLY things I consider mission/survival critical) in top shape. I just refuse to slack off on things that I have both invested in, and which might one day prove to be my (or my loved ones) safety line.
-In a perverse twist of fate, I have found that similar to my ladies knitting, its almost therapeutic to sit in front of the boob tube and do my maintenance tasks. Long bad day at work, just want to sit like a veggie and do something mindless: on goes the food channel (my weakness) and out come the maintenance/cleaning supplies. Of course, it helps to keep the better half happy by doing so on the end of the couch near a cracked window!!!

I am NOT lecturing you to change your attitude about routine sometimes boring duties, but have found for myself personally, that it is now a relaxation moment in an otherwise often chaotic life. Just my experience!

Directly back to the topic - the snakes are great, but I have found not nearly as thorough for long term care.

I agree somewhat, it does not replace the strip down and cleaning. But for the barrel alone, I would say it does a better job then the mountain of dirty patches at the end of the rod and patch session. Maybe a drop of bore cleaner on a patch before and a drop after for lube and call it a day. I have yet to run a wet patch down the barrel after a couple passes with the boresnake and the patch come out dirty. But I know what you mean about the relaxing veggie state it puts you in.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I agree somewhat, it does not replace the strip down and cleaning. But for the barrel alone, I would say it does a better job then the mountain of dirty patches at the end of the rod and patch session. Maybe a drop of bore cleaner on a patch before and a drop after for lube and call it a day. I have yet to run a wet patch down the barrel after a couple passes with the boresnake and the patch come out dirty. But I know what you mean about the relaxing veggie state it puts you in.

I don't know that it does a better job than the mountain of dirty patches (which I always feel guilty about...) - I am just a better safe than sorry guy, so I am methodical and thorough with the patches! You have stopped using them entirely? I always think of them as the end of the matter, with the boresnake a stopgap measure. Hmm, I will have to consider testing thoroughly with some sort of measurement for my experiment into which delivers both consistent and "better" results.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought! (There I go again about food - perhaps thats my queue to stop wasting time at my desk, and go waste time at home with grub!)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts