Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use them and think they work? If so, which one(s)? I swear I was dead on with my xds a week ago. Bought a Galco King Tuk IWB holster and not can't hit 10 feet away. Very strange. Any insight appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Couldn't say about a boresighter, but suspect it would tell you what you need to know. Or try getting some other people to shoot it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Mine are usually pretty dead on. I have one that goes from 17hmr up to 12 gauge. Works on all my pistols. So I use it to get a base zero on my rifles when using new optics, and then do final adjustments on paper, and It's usually pretty Dang close.
A decent one runs 40 bucks, and you will use it over and over. Kind of a must have in the gun box.

On a side note, let someone else shooted as suggested above. That can be the cheapest way to check if It's the gun or you. Plus the other guy wins too. Who doesn't love shooting someone else's guns/ammo.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I have one in 45 acp that I only use on my Kriss to zero my eotech.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine are usually pretty dead on. I have one that goes from 17hmr up to 12 gauge. Works on all my pistols. So I use it to get a base zero on my rifles when using new optics, and then do final adjustments on paper, and It's usually pretty Dang close.
A decent one runs 40 bucks, and you will use it over and over. Kind of a must have in the gun box.

On a side note, let someone else shooted as suggested above. That can be the cheapest way to check if It's the gun or you. Plus the other guy wins too. Who doesn't love shooting someone else's guns/ammo.
I let 2 other good shooter test it and confirm sights are off. I think the boresighter would actually give me a better picture. Do you recommend a certain brand/model?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I can say without a doubt that the taper bore sights have so much room for misalignment that they are more trouble than anything. I bought the bullet calibers for my guns for a snug fit and straighter projection. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of letting somebody else's shooting capability or incapability be my judge for my gun's performance - it all comes down to you and you only in the end. As a side note, I always laughed at the idea of a 12ga sight and never thought I'd know anybody that bought one.. now I do. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
///MCoupé;4458305 said:
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of letting somebody else's shooting capability or incapability be my judge for my gun's performance

If someone else can shoot with consistent accuracy, it probably isn't the sights that need adjusting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone else can shoot with consistent accuracy, it probably isn't the sights that need adjusting.
Agreed. I know the sights are off bc they are good shooters and POI was the same for all 3 of us. I was hoping there was a dependable method to see just how far off the sights were. It's amazing how some people love boresighters and just as many hate them.

No one's heard of maybe the kydex on a holster knockin the front sights around?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Agreed. I know the sights are off bc they are good shooters and POI was the same for all 3 of us. I was hoping there was a dependable method to see just how far off the sights were. It's amazing how some people love boresighters and just as many hate them.

No one's heard of maybe the kydex on a holster knockin the front sights around?

I put some Big Dots on my xds9, went to the range, and my accuracy was getting progressively worse. Shot from a rest, sure the sights were on target, good clean trigger pull, and was still hitting way right. Then I noticed the front sight had drifted far off center. Bad installation job.

But if you have the factory sights still on the gun, I doubt holstering moved the front sight. If you've ever tried to remove these, you will see how hard it would be.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
///MCoupé;4458305 said:
I can say without a doubt that the taper bore sights have so much room for misalignment that they are more trouble than anything. I bought the bullet calibers for my guns for a snug fit and straighter projection. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of letting somebody else's shooting capability or incapability be my judge for my gun's performance - it all comes down to you and you only in the end. As a side note, I always laughed at the idea of a 12ga sight and never thought I'd know anybody that bought one.. now I do. ;)
It came in the kit! Leave me alone! ;-)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If you think your gun is off, send it back. Regardless, the kydex should not be able to move your sight.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Regardless, the kydex should not be able to move your sight.
This^^ The XDs factory sights are tight enough that simple pressure from a kydex holster (whether when holstering or unholstering, or if pressing against it while in the holster) isn't going to move it.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
If you were all consistently off--how were you off?

Left? Right? Low? High? Combination?

·
Registered
12 Posts
///MCoupé;4462295 said:
LaserLyte long ... this one are the ones that gave lots of people fits.

Yep, just found that out. At the range last night with my daughter. We kept firing hi right. Compared it this morning to a cartridge bore siter and the cartridge bore siter is more true. It is a "Site Mark" in 7.62.

Btw, we were shooting with a bipod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts