Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but oh well. I have 9mm and .45 bore snakes. Will using either of these on a .40 damage that gun?

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Agree on that ... use the one that will do the best job, probably the 45

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Or get all 3 . . . . 45, .40, and a 9. I probably wasted some $$'s doing it that way, but I like the different colors on each (lol).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone!

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Does a bore snake really clean much better than a brush?
I find the bore snake is "better than nothing" at the range. I do use the brush for my regular cleanings though.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Love to use them just to keep things clean.
Just run it through in between cleanings on the carry.
Dab of oil at the end, leaves the barrel clean and ready.
And yes, great for range.
I keep one in the bag and a couple around the house...

Found I like them for my pistols, AKs, ARs, Carbines of various makes...

uh...yes, I like them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
use the right tool for the right job.
I agree! That means 86ing those Bore Snakes and getting a good cleaning rod! If that B.S. ever breaks off in the middle of your barrel, you'll wish that you'd never heard of a Bore Snake.

Bore Snakes were designed primarily for firearms in which a cleaning rod couldn't be used from the breech. Then the B.S. makers realized that there were a lot of lazy shooters, so they started marketing the B.S. to the ignorant proletariat! :cool:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I agree! That means 86ing those Bore Snakes and getting a good cleaning rod! If that B.S. ever breaks off in the middle of your barrel, you'll wish that you'd never heard of a Bore Snake.

Bore Snakes were designed primarily for firearms in which a cleaning rod couldn't be used from the breech. Then the B.S. makers realized that there were a lot of lazy shooters, so they started marketing the B.S. to the ignorant proletariat! :cool:
Following this train of thought, don't fire a bullet down the barrel of your weapon because it could likewise get stuck from an underpowered cartridge.

To the OP, use the appropriate sized/caliber snake or smaller, but do not go larger. What's more, they make pistol and rifle length snakes. With the appropriate snake, the tail end is still going in AFTER the brass bristles have come out. In other words, if it were to break while the bristles are still in, you can pull it out by the tail.

One thing I'll mention is that I don't launder my BoreSnakes. I can see washing/drying snakes wearing them out the same way it wears out clothes. If it were to get dirty enough where it was no longer effective, then I'd just buy another one. I've been using the same 9mm BoreSnake for roughly 5 years on all of my 9mm pistols which would have it pulled through a pistol at least twice a month. It's still doing great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts