Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Here's the deal. I have a Cabela's brand universal cleaning kit. It is about 2 years old but it has only been used 2 times because I still use an old Hoppes kit most of the time. Well yesterday when I was cleaning guns the end came off of the snake, the good end, the one that you screw the assorted brushes and swabs into. I sent an e-mail to Cabela's and explained the situation. Christina answered my e-mail by telling me to suck it. Well, she was more polite and used better language, but basically if it is over one year old...suck it.

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy the little universal cable snake all by itself? Not the end of the world if not. I can still use all the brushes and swabs with my cleaning rods, but I kind of liked having one snake with lots of different ends for it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit: I have found the snake/cable only at Cheaper Than Dirt and I can't do that.

Reactions: drband

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may very well be an Otis, but it is private labeled as Cabela's.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I found the Otis memory flex cable with a .22 brush for $15 on Amazon. I think I only paid $30 or $40 for the whole kit. I think I will take it to my reloading mentor's house. If it can be fixed that dude can do it.

Note: I noticed that the Otis website advertises that they are rated for 750 lbs. of force. I am fairly certain that I did not put 750 lbs. of force on the Cabela's cable.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well for the first time EVER cheaper than dirt has what I need and at the best price. I will try to repair the broken one or do without.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well I found the Otis memory flex cable with a .22 brush for $15 on Amazon. I think I only paid $30 or $40 for the whole kit. I think I will take it to my reloading mentor's house. If it can be fixed that dude can do it.

Note: I noticed that the Otis website advertises that they are rated for 750 lbs. of force. I am fairly certain that I did not put 750 lbs. of force on the Cabela's cable.
Be careful with the .22 brush/cable combo. It is thinner than the cable that you use with all of the other calibers. So it only works on .17 and .22 caliber brushes.
I have the Otis master kit. Although I like it, I find myself using rods instead of cables quite often.

·
Administrator
22,444 Posts

Have you been eating your Wheaties again?

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weak as a third grade girl. :-D

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts

I don't know, Jed. You have been working out, haven't you?

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do exercise regularly, but calling it working out might be an exaggeration.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
I do exercise regularly, but calling it working out might be an exaggeration.
I started an exercise program several years ago...12 ounce curls. ;-)

Reactions: unclejed

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful with the .22 brush/cable combo. It is thinner than the cable that you use with all of the other calibers. So it only works on .17 and .22 caliber brushes.
I have the Otis master kit. Although I like it, I find myself using rods instead of cables quite often.
Me too. My buddy has fixed the cable that broke but I have not picked it up yet. I think I will use it when necessary but go back to the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I don't use a carbon fiber rod (I need to get one) but I swear by the brass jags and rods as well.

I have a Otis bore snake that came in a kit that I have for my AR. I'll run it through while its still warm before I pack it up and go home. I never use them to do a real cleaning with.

·
Registered
199 Posts
may want to check Walmart. They have cheap pistol cleaning kits for $20 that come with two cables (one for 22's and one normal size) 3 brushes and some patches. They looked liked cheap Ottis kits but could be a knock off. They also have them for rifles and shotguns for $20 each, but I don't remember what is all in them. I have the pistol cleaning kit and love it. There are times when I use the cable and times I use a cleaning rod.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They didn't have those at my local Wal-Mart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts