Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cleaning kit came with a screw-on barrel mop..this cylindrical cotton thing which I guess is to run up and down the barrel to either apply or remove lubricant, solvent, or whatever. It seems like after one use, it would be 'soiled'...do people use these things and have a way of cleaning them or just leave them grungy for the next go-around ?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I just use it to apply solvent at the beginning of cleaning. So it really doesnt matter if it stays dirty to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've always assumed they were for after cleaning and patching. Like maybe to polish/buff the bore. I could and very well may be wrong though..someone will explain.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I use a 410 mop to swab the chamber of my 308 after cleaning. Gust to remove all the solvent and stuff from cleaning.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I only use them for oiling the bore after cleaning, but Boresnakes have done away with all that for me.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
You can use a bore mop in one of two ways.
1) To deliver a lot of solvent into the bore.
2) As the final clean out / putting oil into the bore.

Obviously, the same mop can't be used for both purposes. I use the mop mainly to slosh in my copper solvent (KG-12). If I were to use it to oil the bore, it would be a separate mop for only that purpose.

And as Kaboom notes, the Boresnake has made huge inroads in eliminating a lot of different tools for bore cleaning.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
You can use a bore mop in one of two ways.
1) To deliver a lot of solvent into the bore.
2) As the final clean out / putting oil into the bore.

Obviously, the same mop can't be used for both purposes. I use the mop mainly to slosh in my copper solvent (KG-12). If I were to use it to oil the bore, it would be a separate mop for only that purpose.

And as Kaboom notes, the Boresnake has made huge inroads in eliminating a lot of different tools for bore cleaning.
And let me follow this up a tiny bit, I've had guns since 1968 or so, I was NOT a believer in the Boresnake till I actually tried one. I have never looked back, have one for every caliber of pistol and rifle I own.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
And let me follow this up a tiny bit, I've had guns since 1968 or so, I was NOT a believer in the Boresnake till I actually tried one. I have never looked back, have one for every caliber of pistol and rifle I own.
I used to use a boresnake ... Good product, but they eventually get to dirty, IMO.
So,
I started making a version of this - 20/20 Concepts shooting accessories - By melting the end of some weed-eater line into a .2 diameter ball, and sharpening the other end to pierce a cloth patch ... I get clean material for any purpose, whenever I want.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I used to use a boresnake ... Good product, but they eventually get to dirty, IMO.
They can be washed/cleaned and they are cheap enough to not break the bank when you want to replace them. I think I have cleaned the 9mm one time, the others not at all in what three or four years?
I would recommend a newbie get a basic cleaning kit and learn how to do it "old school", it's just a skill all of us should have. Then when you understand what is going on in the cleaning process and what to look for, switch to Boresnakes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So,
I started making a version of this - 20/20 Concepts shooting accessories - By melting the end of some weed-eater line into a .2 diameter ball, and sharpening the other end to pierce a cloth patch ... I get clean material for any purpose, whenever I want.
EXCELLENT IDEA. I'm going to make one of these up today. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts