Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so my wife is going to take the Hunters Safty Course in order to go hunting with me. I am having a hard time deciding what rifle to get her. I have a Browning A Bolt 2 and just checked the prices. They are more expensive now then when I bought mine. I was thinking a .270 for her. I am looking at the Winchester 70 SS .270. What other bolt actions would you guys consider. It has to be Stainless though! We live in Florida and a blued firearm just wont cut it. :twisted:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
If she is a new shooter with a rifle. Consider the 243 Winchester. It has a very mild recoil. It is good for deer size game with the right bullet. Don't use cheap ammo for hunting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Skimming through the topics, I first read this as "Bolt Action or the Wife".

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I'd have to disagree about the .243 as I consider it marginal for deer.

Really have to say .270.

Be nice if she could shoot a couple of calibers before buying.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
RC,
What distance do you expect to take deer at? If your area is similar to ours (mostly heavily wooded), most deer are taken at 100 yards, plus or minus. 150 yards would be a long shot in our area. For shorter ranges like these, a .30-30 lever action (think Marlin 336 or similar) would be a good option... small enough for smaller-framed people, not a bad kick, easy rifle to handle and carry in the field, and then there's the 'coolness factor' of a lever action. ;)

You should be able to find a nice, gently used 336 for $250-$300 or less.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd have to disagree about the .243 as I consider it marginal for deer.

Really have to say .270.

Be nice if she could shoot a couple of calibers before buying.
I have to disagree with your disagreement. The. 243 takes many deer here every year. My son uses one and has harvested @ 10 with it, he's 14 btw, and all were one shot kills with none running more than 20 yards.

The. 270 packs more punch, but a smaller framed person may not care for the recoil. If it hurts them to shoot a target with it, they won't want to hunt with it. A rifle with less kick is not a bad idea for someone just starting, and later they can move up if they so desire. A. 243 moving at over 3000 fps will definatly do the job. But if the size of the projectile is a very high concern, the 7mm-08 fits the bill.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
.243, 7mm-08, or 6.5x55 are all light recoiling rifles with good effect (using proper bullets) against whitetails.

Other to consider would be .257 Roberts, and .25-06.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you will only be hunting deer sized game and lower I'd recommend the .243. It shoots flat, fast, and has plenty enough killing power for deer and the recoil is extremely mild. Savage makes great affordable rifles that shoot better than most people, and so if price is a factor I'd go with the Axis in stainless. If your going for bigger game, then the .270 is my favorite cartridge and again I'd recommend a savage. If you want a nicer one than the axis check out their 116 FSS weather warrior series. THis particular rifle has an adjustable trigger and only weighs 6.5 lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I have to disagree with your disagreement. The. 243 takes many deer here every year. My son uses one and has harvested @ 10 with it, he's 14 btw, and all were one shot kills with none running more than 20 yards.

The. 270 packs more punch, but a smaller framed person may not care for the recoil. If it hurts them to shoot a target with it, they won't want to hunt with it. A rifle with less kick is not a bad idea for someone just starting, and later they can move up if they so desire. A. 243 moving at over 3000 fps will definatly do the job. But if the size of the projectile is a very high concern, the 7mm-08 fits the bill.
No problem. My first deer rifle was a Ruger M77 in .243, but like most I graduated to larger calibers as a grew up. The simple fact is bigger is better.

If she could handle a large calibers with no discomfort, then why limit it to a .243. Thats why I recommend she actually shoot a couple calibers if possible, then she could decide.

Also, I don't pick guns for my wife, she picks her own.

PS: The suggestion of a 30-30 is a good one. Light kick, big bullet, good to 150 yds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do agree that trying a variety of calibers is best if it's an option. That way the lady can decide best which one she wants. That's what my wife did, and she did settle on the 30-30 due to the short length of the rifle.

As far as bigger being better, I have to disagree again. I started with a 7 mag, went to a .270 a few years later and now after some 15 more years have a .243 ready to go. Bigger bullets do more damage yes, but shot placement trumps all.

In addition to shooting multiple calibers, I would recommend shooting rifles from various manufacturers if that is possible.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'd take her to the gun store and let her handle the rifles and pick the one that she shoulders the best. If she is smaller framed a youth model may be best. A full sized rifle that the hunter can't hold steady is worthless.

FWIW, my wife shoots .257 Roberts that is a shortened Remington. Her Sister shoots a youth model Ruger in 7mm-08. They're both 5'2" or under. The .257 has quite soft recoil. The 7mm-08 kicks harder and is like shooting a .308.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
R.C.,
So what did you and your wife end up getting? (I can't help being nosy! ;))

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
R.C.,
So what did you and your wife end up getting? (I can't help being nosy! ;))
Sorry I havent posted. We have not gotten anything yet. She has to take a Hunters Safty Course next weeked.. 3 day event. I should be getting an extra check this month so we will buy something then. I did not answer jmichnawe will not be shooting anything over a 100 yards. I believe in being fair to the animal being hunted, and choose not to shoot past 100 yards give or take some feet. It will be White Tail and Wild Boar....since the Boar carry TB around here. The White Tail here in FL are not like the Deer that I am use to in Bama and Virginia. So I kind of worry about loseing a lot of meat with the 30-06.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
... So I kind of worry about loseing a lot of meat with the 30-06.
Hundred yards or less, less meat damaged... hence the .30-30 lever-action suggestion. ;)

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
Not many 30-30 bolt guns. If you want a lever gun, lots to be had in a varieties of calibers that can take a deer at 100 yards or less.

you can get a 7.62x39 in bolt action. A .243 would be better IMO. A 243 is plenty for deer around here, and is what I'd suggest for most hunters. I think it would have no problems at all with southern deer.

If she is really small, how about a M1 carbine (again, not a bolt action)? Its a bit light for deer, but plenty with a well placed shot. How important is soft recoil and small size?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts