Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with Boeshield T-9, multipurpose water dispersant, lubricant, rust preventative made by the Boeing Corporation? A guy at a gun show says he's been using it on guns for years, but, of course, he was trying to sell it.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Google showed over 800 pages, many from
overseas, so it must be a worldwide marketing
effort.

Claimed uses:

Marine:
· Engines and Drives
· Electric and Battery
· Deck Hardware
· Fishing Tackle

Tools
· Table Saw Tops
· Planer
· Jointer
· Radial Arm Saws
· Drill Press
· Other Power Tools
· Hand Tools
· Garden Tools

Bicycle
· Chain
· Cables
· Derailleurs
· Frame

Aviation
· Inner Wings
· Airframes
· Wheel Wells
· Cables, Hinges

Automotive
· Undercarriage
· Hinges
· Electrical and Battery
· Engine
· Parts
· Trailers

Home and Other
· Guns
· Sliding Doors

Caution: Product is flammable, harmful or fatal
if swallowed, contents under pressure.

Price averaged about $12.95 per 12 oz. spray can.

By the way, I never heard of nor have I used the
product before.

Ed

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
If it's ANYTHING like the other water dispersant product on the market (WD-40), I would not use it on guns. Residue can possibly get past the primers or bullets of your ammo, particularly a round in the chamber, and ruin the powder (This is not hearsay, I have verified this phenomenon for myself). And, you may need that round to work very, very badly in certain situations.

There are many, many products on the market made specificially for firearms, I plan to use them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you do a search, you'll find some previous posts by me on Boeshield T-9. This stuff is the ultimate for preventing rust! It was first invented by Boeing Aircraft to prevent rust on their planes. It is now widely used in many industries. I use it not only on my guns but also on the cast iron and carbon steel surfaces of the power tools in my garage. After three years, I've had no rust on anything I applied it to.

It has been tested by several reputable publications in the woodworking industry for just that purpose. It is consistently found to be the best product. One application prevents rust on all my tools in the hot, humid environment of Florida for as much as ten months.

Contrary to the previous poster's unfounded speculations, while it is a spray on metal protectant it dries completely in a few minutes. There is no way it can contaminate ammo or anything else after it has dried. Simply spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel after a few minutes. Then let it dry completely for the next 20 minutes or so. There is no oily residue. You don't have to worry again until you remove it with a solvent or six months is up.

It costs about $12 for a large aerosol can. That will last you at least five years if you only used it on your XD. The problem is that once you find out how good this stuff is, you'll use it on all steel and cast iron surfaces that you want to protect.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Paladin said:
If you do a search, you'll find some previous posts by me on Boeshield T-9. This stuff is the ultimate for preventing rust! It was first invented by Boeing Aircraft to prevent rust on their planes. It is now widely used in many industries. I use it not only on my guns but also on the cast iron and carbon steel surfaces of the power tools in my garage. After three years, I've had no rust on anything I applied it to.

It has been tested by several reputable publications in the woodworking industry for just that purpose. It is consistently found to be the best product. One application prevents rust on all my tools in the hot, humid environment of Florida for as much as ten months.

Contrary to the previous poster's unfounded speculations, while it is a spray on metal protectant it dries completely in a few minutes. There is no way it can contaminate ammo or anything else after it has dried. Simply spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel after a few minutes. Then let it dry completely for the next 20 minutes or so. There is no oily residue. You don't have to worry again until you remove it with a solvent or six months is up.

It costs about $12 for a large aerosol can. That will last you at least five years if you only used it on your XD. The problem is that once you find out how good this stuff is, you'll use it on all steel and cast iron surfaces that you want to protect.
What Paladin said. I have been using it for some time as a rust preventative on my XD and other semi-auto slides. It's excellent. I think I got my last bottle from Brownells. Thank you Paladin for pointing out the errors in that previous post (snake-eater). It's NOT like WD40 and it's highly recommended as a rust preventative for all metal surfaces including firearms.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Boeshield is a wax dissolved in a carrier. After the carrier evaporates, the wax is left behind.

How you apply it depends on the effect you want. Spray it on and let it set and you'll end up with a heavy coating. Good for long term storage.

Spraying it on and wiping the object down will result in a much lighter coating that won't be too noticable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've actually use Boeshield for about 7 years now in one of my other hobbies, cycling/mt. biking. I had a few bike mechanic friends turn me on to it. It has a very low viscosity, which means it acts like a very light oil, flowing readily into small spaces. As I think someone mentioned earlier, I believe it is a "dry" lube, meaning that it is wax based and eventually dries into a film, so it does not attract/retain dust and dirt like many oils. I've used it on everything on the bikes...chains, cables, etc. with great results.

I'm not quite sure why I have not tried it on my guns before, but I can't see any reason why it would not work great for that application. I guess I need to get another bottle for the gun cleaning kit and try it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts