Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June I purchased a Bodyguard 380 to replace my LCP, gun was flawless until this weekend. When I couldn't unload before a trip to the range. Problem was I could not rack the slide far enough to extract the cartridge or lock out the slide. About 3/16 inches short...

I called SW today and the lady was super helpful. Got me a label to ship in for work.

Tonight I was dry firing the firearm when all of the sudden I am able to fully rack the slide. Wtf is up with that?

What are Your thoughts? Should I still send this in? Seems scary to have an unreliable ccw weapons.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not just "seems" scary, it is scary. I don't have any experience with the Bodyguard other than looking at it at the LGS yesterday. I was comparing it vs the LCP. If I remember correctly, S&W offers a 1 year warranty and Ruger offers lifetime over-the-counter.

One thing I noticed looking at them: On the Bodyguard, the clearance on each side of the hammer was not consistent. There was a much larger gap on the left side than the right side. It was close enough on the right that I was concerned it would rub the slide.

Looking forward to the updates.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would still send it in. It will probably happen again and then you would be back to this point.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to send it in. Let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know if this was your issue, but my problem tonight at the range was very similar. The slide would not go back far enough to lock. Turns out the tiny screw for access to the laser battery had loosened far enough for the slide to catch on it. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to go any further. Good thing I didn't what it with a hammer. Tighten the battery access screw every time you clean the gun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i almost picked up one of these before i purchased my p3at, just kept seeing too many horror stories. they are very sharp to look at though

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I got my gun back from SW.! Very quick turnaround. Not sure what the problem was because there were no notes with the package.

Then I broke it down and realized they sent the gun back sans the laser assembly. What a nightmare. Will call them on Monday.

The saga continues. Really considering trading this in for a Kahr CM9

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well...I got my gun back from SW.! Very quick turnaround. Not sure what the problem was because there were no notes with the package.

Then I broke it down and realized they sent the gun back sans the laser assembly. What a nightmare. Will call them on Monday.

The saga continues. Really considering trading this in for a Kahr CM9
CM9, G36, keltec pf9, lw officers 1911, Ruger lc9, Taurus 709, Sig p290...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine has been great as well but I heard of issues with the early ones.

Looks like the CS department made a mistake, it happens. I have heard nothing but good stuff about smith & wesson's customer service in the past though, I'm sure they will take care of you.

Sent from Nates Droid X

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I have been impressed by the CS reps. Mine is an EAPxxxx so its a later model than the ones that had problems.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have about 450 rounds thru my Bodyguard 380... Not one failure

Keep it cleaned and oiled
1000 rounds without a single problem ( my EMP 9mm sits in my night table )

·
Registered
895 Posts
Between my wife and I we've got about 600 rds through it, I think it's a cool gun that's why I purchased it but wished I've gotten something instead....... However I believe smith makes quality products and yours might be a defect, so send it in!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw the post and figured I'd reply. I do not personally own the Bodyguard, but I recently got my best friend to become a gun owner, and his first purchase was this .380 to keep in his car as a last resort weapon. Anyway, after a couple of range trips, this problem was noted, the slide wouldn't fully rack to feed a new round into the chamber. He brought the gun to me, and after many, many attempts, I finally got the slide all the way back (and it began to seem to work perfectly fine...). So, I stripped it, making sure to fully and properly lube it. It seems to work fine now, but I'm still confused as to why the problem was ever noted. I thought it might be his lack of basic gun care, but if other people are noting the problem too, maybe it isn't... Still no word on the issue?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I successfully talked my buddy, who was buying his first ccw gun and asked for my help, out of a bodyguard in favor of a Ruger LC9.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I attended a defensive pistol class Saturday.I planned on primarily shooting my XDsc 9 and brought the Bodyguard along just to run 50 or 100 roundS through.

I was in a hurry to get out of the house and I accidentally grabbed 100 rounds of 9mm and 300 rounds of .380.

So I ended up running 100 rounds each of,WWB FMJ,Remington JHP,and Federal FMJ through the Bodyguard.

I have a total of 400 rounds through mine and zero malfunctions or issues.The only thing I would change is to have more than two magazines before shooting a class with it again :)

My serial # is EAVXXX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw the post and figured I'd reply. I do not personally own the Bodyguard, but I recently got my best friend to become a gun owner, and his first purchase was this .380 to keep in his car as a last resort weapon. Anyway, after a couple of range trips, this problem was noted, the slide wouldn't fully rack to feed a new round into the chamber. He brought the gun to me, and after many, many attempts, I finally got the slide all the way back (and it began to seem to work perfectly fine...). So, I stripped it, making sure to fully and properly lube it. It seems to work fine now, but I'm still confused as to why the problem was ever noted. I thought it might be his lack of basic gun care, but if other people are noting the problem too, maybe it isn't... Still no word on the issue?
Earlier bodyguards EAA-EAB were known to have issues with the takedown lever and the screw in the frame holding the laser batteries turning out, making contact with the barrel. If you had a functioning pistol before and find it hard to rack the slide, check to make sure the screw from laser housing is still secure.

I've got 150 rounds through mine and its been perfect, I, on the other hand, as a new shooter, have not been.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts