Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got to shoot my new SW bodyguard 38 today for first time...it was all i could do to not sob after about the 30th round of the 100 round box of remingtion 125g +p half jacketed HP...ouchies im not kidding, the scandium in 357 that i shot wasnt even as painful to shoot as this bodyguard...

has anyone had trouble with the laser not working due to recoil:mad:? for a while it would shut off mid cylinder and by the last shot or first shot of the next full cylinder it would rattle itself back on. i made sure it was tight and torqued the screw to SW specs. anyone else have this problem? ultimately by the 40th-100th round i had no trouble with the laser. my hand developed 2 blisters in that short time tho. and then when i switched to shoot the xdm9 it felt so funny. like a 22 almost after shooting the BG. it was funny.:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
told you they bark, mine has left the web of my hand a little tender for a couple of days but wouldn't say they actually hurt. I've shoot worse. 30 in a row is about my max before that flinch gets out of control. I suppose I could shoot something besides +p but I have plenty of them and those remington 100rnd packs are cheap.

I don't use the laser so I don't know if there is an issue.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
My S&W 442 with Crimson Trace definitely is not an enjoyable gun to shoot at all. I call it the "Noisy Cricket" from Men in Black! Love to conceal carry it in my ankle holster though!

No problems with my laser.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is a problem I see with lots of these new CC guns on the market. They can make them light and small, but they can't take the recoil out of them and they just aren't fun to shoot. I see the practical need for them, I just would rather have a gun I can carry and enjoy shooting. They serve a purpose though, and if they save someone's life, who cares if it kicks.

·
Super Moderator
46,392 Posts
I have heard they have quite a bit of snap to them...;)

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
I tried one (a friend's) for the first time yesterday and didn't like it at all. Way too snappy for my liking and the laser was finicky. I much prefer my Ruger LCR.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The small 9mm Kahrs aren't to bad. However none of these small 9mm,s will ever be considered to be a good range toy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ive got the 360 PD, 11.3 ounces unloaded in .357.
It is brutal with full magnum load, downright uncomfortable.
But with .38 +p's its not bad if you really get a grip on it.
Shot 100 a few weeks ago, then finished off with 15 .357's
that was it. I was done. All in all its not a gun to play with
at the range for extended times. but i do like carrying it in the summer.
And don't let your significant other shoot em with full .357 loads,
you wont get dinner that night, and maybe the next.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My BG.380 is a great little gun and I have never had a problem with it. The only thing I could complain about is the super heavy trigger. Go to the Bodygaurd forums and you'll see most are perfect and others have problems.

·
Registered
178 Posts
With my trip to the range yesterday to try my new gun, my little BG380 have 425 rounds without a single problem, and recoil is not bad at all

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
That is a problem I see with lots of these new CC guns on the market. They can make them light and small, but they can't take the recoil out of them and they just aren't fun to shoot. I see the practical need for them, I just would rather have a gun I can carry and enjoy shooting. They serve a purpose though, and if they save someone's life, who cares if it kicks.
That's why my wife went with the SP101. It's stout and heavy enough to handle the loads. .357mag kicks, but it soaks up .38special like a champ.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Any ultra light snubby is made to be carried and only shot enough to be proficient.

I love my old school stainless 649. I can shoot it all day long.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My BG.380 is a great little gun and I have never had a problem with it. The only thing I could complain about is the super heavy trigger. Go to the Bodygaurd forums and you'll see most are perfect and others have problems.
With my trip to the range yesterday to try my new gun, my little BG380 have 425 rounds without a single problem, and recoil is not bad at all
not talking about the .380 boys, the bodyguard .38 special is a different animal. hence the comparisons to other wheel guns.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i shoot regular non plus p ammo is it noticably better? it seems to me even if i shot regular ammo it would still b to snappy to enjoy. my hand is still sore over 30 hours later. i created and tore 2 blisters in the 40 minutes i shot the freakin thing. someone please let me know about the regular ammo.

i do LOVE the carryability (my new word) of it...completely comfortable in my 8inch boot and also in my cargo pockets of my dress khakis. its a very cool gun but i agree, i still would like to b able to ENJOY it at the range also, not just carry it and never want to shoot it.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Speaking of Body Gaurd .38's has anyone handled up on the Ruger LCR .38 special with laser? I felt one up the other day and it was sweet!! Polymere cylinder frame, internal hammer, supper light, just felt right!! ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Speaking of Body Gaurd .38's has anyone handled up on the Ruger LCR .38 special with laser? I felt one up the other day and it was sweet!! Polymere cylinder frame, internal hammer, supper light, just felt right!! ;)
Yeah, they FEEL sweet, but will kick your butt just like the BG per this thread. Ruger has a sweet trigger I have to admit

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
When I shoot my 340PD it's like being involved in a car wreck. I like shooting it... twice a year.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have the same metal/polymer BG .38 and I'll agree...with hot +P rounds, that thing is an ass kicker. Far worse than my Sp101 was with .357 rounds in it.

It's a pussycat with .38 special or even +p rounds that aren't super hot but for some reason, Rem Golden Saber +p is some seriously hot stuff in that little giy...not fun to shoot in the slightest.

I've ran some 50+ rounds of mixed (non and +P) and so far, I've noticed no problems with the laser...

I'll agree with others, with a .38 spcl the BG is mildly fun to shoot...with anything else, forget about it. I'll shoot it enough to get good with it and that's it. I have other far less punishing guns that I enjoy shooting...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did have a problem with the rigth side laser button, it would not turn it on, the left fine. Not sure why. Called S&W said take it out send it in for replacment. Took it out and dropped it on the carpet. So I put it back in and it works fine, I dont know why, no problems since. Can be a bit snappy, but not bad, and if and when I doubt you will even notice.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Lightweight snubbies, especially in .357 mag., can be positively painful. Keep in mind that in a "social situation", you'll probably be firing one cylinder, maybe less. Check on different grips. The right grip is everything to controlling recoil and pain. I have a Taurus 617 Titanium that was fearful with anything over 25 rounds with the stock finger groove grips. I cringed at practicing with it. I changed out the finger grips for Taurus Ribbers and it's a totally different gun! I can shoot full loads all day now!

Don't caress the hold, either, grab that thing like it's the winning lottery ticket and let your wrist absorb the recoil.

FWIW, I like a high hold, too. Get that bore axis as low as possible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts