Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here have much experience with body armor? www.ironsidebodyarmor.com has the FREEMAN BUNDLE for $131.....a carrier and 2 9"x9" curved steel plates, Level 3 protection.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lvl 3 won’t take 5.56/.223.

Keep that in mind.
yeah, saw that. supposedly it takes 3+ to cover that......3A--3--3+....good, better, best, in the Level 3 world.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Level 3 plates should cover .223/5.56, depending on load. Demolition Ranch tested some AR500 plates years ago by shooting something like 50 rounds of green-tip at a single plate and only like 2 rounds penetrated, IIRC. I think hotter, faster M193 might've taken less to get through. Most companies' 3+ designation means a special threat coverage i.e. M855, since 3+ isn't an NIJ rating.

However, I would advise not going with steel plates unless you really can't afford something better and need something right now. My first plates were AR500 Level 3 steel and they're damn near 10lbs a piece. Ungodly heavy. My current plates are Level 3+ ceramic/composite and weigh 4.9 lbs each. The difference means everything. I can wear the new ones 10 times longer than the steel plates, especially if I'm actively moving around the range or whatever. My friend Josh and I actually did the TRex Arms course-of-fire standards today in our plate carriers just to see how it affects stuff. After going through it twice each, the weight of the carriers+plates+gear was definitely taking their toll. So, if you can save your shoulders and back from an extra 10 lbs of unneeded weight, by all means do so. It just costs a little more. If all you can do is steel for now, then great. But don't let getting them stop you from saving up for an upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
30,025 Posts
Level 3 plates should cover .223/5.56, depending on load. Demolition Ranch tested some AR500 plates years ago by shooting something like 50 rounds of green-tip at a single plate and only like 2 rounds penetrated, IIRC. I think hotter, faster M193 might've taken less to get through. Most companies' 3+ designation means a special threat coverage i.e. M855, since 3+ isn't an NIJ rating.

However, I would advise not going with steel plates unless you really can't afford something better and need something right now. My first plates were AR500 Level 3 steel and they're damn near 10lbs a piece. Ungodly heavy. My current plates are Level 3+ ceramic/composite and weigh 4.9 lbs each. The difference means everything. I can wear the new ones 10 times longer than the steel plates, especially if I'm actively moving around the range or whatever. My friend Josh and I actually did the TRex Arms course-of-fire standards today in our plate carriers just to see how it affects stuff. After going through it twice each, the weight of the carriers+plates+gear was definitely taking their toll. So, if you can save your shoulders and back from an extra 10 lbs of unneeded weight, by all means do so. It just costs a little more. If all you can do is steel for now, then great. But don't let getting them stop you from saving up for an upgrade in the future.
It costs more, and they don’t last as long. Ceramics will lose effectiveness over time.

·
Administrator
22,532 Posts
It costs more, and they don’t last as long. Ceramics will lose effectiveness over time.
Plus, aren’t they only certified for one hit? After that they don’t guarantee they will stop any other rounds.

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up buying 12x10 plates and a carrier. I put it on last night and put a shirt on top of it and it actually did NOT print too badly, mostly on my back. I can tell that, in the fall and winter, I should be able to wear it under a shirt and a sport coat and barely be detectable. I'm glad that I got talked out of that 9x9 bundle.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I guess I will be doomed.... I can't see a reasonable option to add body armor to my kit.

Between whatever sidearm I have with me, my get home bag, and whatever long gun I may have available to get back, I don't see hiking miles with all of that AND body armor. Now I am in ok shape, but just my GHB and the accessories mentioned weighs me down enough that if I have to do any climbing or longer miles, the ounces will turn to pain pretty quickly. I don't expect to be breaching a bunker or going into combat... I would hope to be able to avoid contact and blend into surroundings as best possible... don't think body armor would allow that, and instead would make more of a target than already would be

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And why do you think you need body armor? You aren't in Afghanistan. I served 3 tours in war zones in Southeast Asia and only wore body armor in one tour.
Nope, not in Afghanistan. I work church security every week here in these crazy days in the USA. In this day and age, that's an important team to have in place. If it can be semi comfortably worn and comfortably concealed for 4 hours, then why not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts