Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I have been a long time lurker and love my XD .45 compact. I also own a Kimber Pro Carry II in .45 and I have been considering having it bobtailed. I was wondering what you all thought about this process. I have done a search and read some of the threads here. It is a sometimes carry gun and I was hoping to make it slightly more concealable. How does this affect grip angle and recoil? Does it really make the gun more concealable? I would sure love your input. You have a wonderful site here and I look forward to being a member. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Since your hand doesn't need to be behind the grip where the bobtail is, it really doesn't effect the shooting, and depending on how you carry you can take a bit off the printing. You are more limited in your setup of the gun because of the shorter MS, but overall for carry it isn't a bad way to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got a CBOB and honestly for my build there is absolutely no difference in carrying the bobtail or std. If there is a difference it's so slight I don't notice it. As far as shooting my paws don't notice a difference. You will have to test drive a bobtail to see if it makes any difference for you. There may be a difference in printing but I haven't found it to be leaps and bounds better.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I've got a CBOB and honestly for my build there is absolutely no difference in carrying the bobtail or std. If there is a difference it's so slight I don't notice it. As far as shooting my paws don't notice a difference. You will have to test drive a bobtail to see if it makes any difference for you. There may be a difference in printing but I haven't found it to be leaps and bounds better.
I find that the bobtail makes it more comfortable... If you are wearing the correct holster and belt combo, the butt of the gun will be tucked into your side at all times. With a bobtailed 1911 the butt is rounded.

Also, the most difficult part of the firearm to conceal is the square bottom of the grip. The reason for this is that shirts bunch up on it and things in nature aren't square. The round butt makes it less noticeable (even if the profile is still there, it is rounded, not square).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Count me in as another happy CBOB owner. To my hands the bobtail just makes a great fitting gun better. Carried IWB high behind the hip and the bobtail doesn't dig into my ribs like a standard 1911.

J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input. I got my bobtail mainspring housing in the mail yesterday. Having trouble finding a gunsmith in my area (Boise, ID) to drill the hole and let me trim the corner myself. I may have to make a jig to drill the hole myself. I am stoked to get it done, but I am being cautious so as not to screw up my gun. I will try to post some pics when it is all done. I will also have to trim my aluma grips to fit properly. We will see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts