Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a tent and really durable sleeping pad for my BOB. What would you all suggest? I need the tent to fit 2-3 people. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im looking for kinda the same thing, a compressed sleeping bag and maybe and makeshift shelter...let you know what I come with

·
Registered
19,975 Posts
for 2-3 people, you need at least a 4 man tent, even in bug out conditions, assuming you aren't a family of midgets.

As far as a sleeping pad, just get a warm stuff sack sleeping bag, and sleep on top in warm weather. If you absolutely must have some sort of pad, get something inflatable, and hope you toughen up before it pops ;)

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Sportz Camping PACs

I have one of single person tents from these guys. It came with two sleepings. It all rolls up into a small pack I can slap on my bike. Id like to get another one from them.

It withstood 3 nights of 40+mph wind, and four days of rain and sleet. Put all the other tents in our crew to shame.

They make tents for trucks and some cars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Look at a Henessy hammock. Can be used as a tent, or a hammock. Add in insulating pads and they are good in 4 seasons. Just buy 3... They do stuff pretty compact too.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
There are a ton of decent 4 man tents out there, but if you want simple, you can always go with a heavy duty tarp or a couple military ponchos and some 550 cord. Snapping 2 ponchos togeter makes a pretty large shelter. I wouldn't recommend it in extreme weather, but for a simple rain shelter, it works really well. It also has the advantage of being packed MUCH smaller and being MUCH lighter than any purpose made tent you're likely to find.

Buy (8 ft. x 10 ft.) Reinforced Rip-Stop Tarp at Army Surplus World

Buy Marpat Pattern Rain Poncho at Army Surplus World

With a poncho liner, the poncho can also be used as a decent lightweight sleeping bag.

Buy Used USA GI Poncho Liner at Army Surplus World

As for the sleeping mat, the military makes a decent mat that can roll up pretty tight if needed.

Buy Cot Pad/GI Sleeping Mat at Army Surplus World

·
Registered
90 Posts
Costco - Lifetime® Camping Tent Trailer

I wanted to get this one along with some camo tarps. Gets you off the ground, you can pack Ice chests or quads on top or other gear. Tow it behind a truck or even quad out to BFE and set up camp you are set, and comfy. Worst comes to worst... emergency blankets, decent knifes, flints, and water containers, and a collapsable pan set, you are good.

·
Registered
19,975 Posts
Costco - Lifetime® Camping Tent Trailer

I wanted to get this one along with some camo tarps. Gets you off the ground, you can pack Ice chests or quads on top or other gear. Tow it behind a truck or even quad out to BFE and set up camp you are set, and comfy. Worst comes to worst... emergency blankets, decent knifes, flints, and water containers, and a collapsable pan set, you are good.
that would be a bad bug-out setup. just keep all your supplies and some extra fuel on top. If/when the worst were to happen, all you have to do is hitch and haul ass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly I bought a nice coleman tent for 3-4 people and bought a compression sack as well.
I simply stuff the tent into the sack and compress it. It was from some long square carry case to a nice little setup. I just wrap the polls seperatly and those can go on the inside of a BOB easily.
Compressed the tent is around the size of a soccer ball. not perfectly round like that, but depending on the bag you have it should fit nicely.
Also I see a lot of people buying smaller BOB close to the size of a backpack. Why not get a hiking bag for the same price or cheaper. Much more space and made to be worn on long trips, if it comes down to that.

just my .02

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
May I ask where you plan to bug out that you need a tent and sleeping pad?

Bugging out to a place that has a continental breakfast in the morning is a lot more practical than trying to become Grizzly Adams on the spur of the moment. Just a little food for thought.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Bugging out to a place that has a continental breakfast in the morning is a lot more practical than trying to become Grizzly Adams on the spur of the moment. Just a little food for thought.
Cause its bugging out for a reason. You dont know what the situation could be. There could be no place to go to, or maybe its extremely far. I dont know about you but I can rely on my training and knowledge to make it in the woods, or away from society, if ever needed. Better safe then sorry.

What is someone going to say? If where standing next to each other and just found out where in it for the long haul, Im ready, are you?

·
Registered
19,975 Posts

look how easily hotels get book for miles around when some festival goes on once you get away the big cities. Some hotels get booked years in advanced. Now just imagine what would happen if just 10% of a large urban area decided to skidaddle. 90% of them would be sleeping in their cars at best, and the lucky 10% would be paying out the nose for the privilege, and probably run off with the bedding and towels. You'd be very lucky if you got to live it up like Baby Jesus in a bed of straw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
look how easily hotels get book for miles around when some festival goes on once you get away the big cities. Some hotels get booked years in advanced. Now just imagine what would happen if just 10% of a large urban area decided to skidaddle. 90% of them would be sleeping in their cars at best, and the lucky 10% would be paying out the nose for the privilege, and probably run off with the bedding and towels. You'd be very lucky if you got to live it up like Baby Jesus in a bed of straw.
this made me lol

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
There are a ton of decent 4 man tents out there, but if you want simple, you can always go with a heavy duty tarp or a couple military ponchos and some 550 cord. Snapping 2 ponchos togeter makes a pretty large shelter. I wouldn't recommend it in extreme weather, but for a simple rain shelter, it works really well. It also has the advantage of being packed MUCH smaller and being MUCH lighter than any purpose made tent you're likely to find.

With a poncho liner, the poncho can also be used as a decent lightweight sleeping bag.

As for the sleeping mat, the military makes a decent mat that can roll up pretty tight if needed.

Yeah, tarps and ponchos are more practical for BOBs. That's what I have.

I do have a tent and sleeping bags for SHTF, but not in the BOB. There just isn't enough room. They will get thrown in the back of the truck, if circumstances allow for me to take it ... I'm still looking for sleeping pads, but it's not high priority.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Cause its bugging out for a reason. You dont know what the situation could be. There could be no place to go to, or maybe its extremely far. I dont know about you but I can rely on my training and knowledge to make it in the woods, or away from society, if ever needed. Better safe then sorry.

What is someone going to say? If where standing next to each other and just found out where in it for the long haul, Im ready, are you?

I'm ready but I can't come up with a single likely scenario that makes it more desirable to live in the woods on three days' worth of supplies than it is to go to a hotel or a friend or relative's house. You're right, I don't know for sure what the situation could be. But I can run the probabilities on likely or possible scenarios and prepare accordingly.

Bugging in is better than bugging out in most likely scenarios. Absent that, bugging out to a designated location with permanent shelter already in place is far superior to bugging out to an undetermined location and relying on a tent for shelter. Sure, hotels often book up month in advance. That's why I'd have a backup plan - one that didn't involve wandering around in unfamiliar wilds - to the hotel/motel strategy.

Just for fun ... what likely/possible scenario would make tent living in unfamiliar wilds more desirable than bugging out to a pre-determined permanent shelter location?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm ready but I can't come up with a single likely scenario that makes it more desirable to live in the woods on three days' worth of supplies than it is to go to a hotel or a friend or relative's house. You're right, I don't know for sure what the situation could be. But I can run the probabilities on likely or possible scenarios and prepare accordingly.

Bugging in is better than bugging out in most likely scenarios. Absent that, bugging out to a designated location with permanent shelter already in place is far superior to bugging out to an undetermined location and relying on a tent for shelter. Sure, hotels often book up month in advance. That's why I'd have a backup plan - one that didn't involve wandering around in unfamiliar wilds - to the hotel/motel strategy.

Just for fun ... what likely/possible scenario would make tent living in unfamiliar wilds more desirable than bugging out to a pre-determined permanent shelter location?
Living outside of a pre-determined shelter is never more desirable, but as stated before there is no way to know.
Being prepared is the next best thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts

this is some great info. I recommend looking at a bivy setup. Or just check out some hiking/backpacking sites and check out what some of the people there have come up with. many create their own setup and share them, often resulting in a compression sack the size of a shoe and weighing little to nothing.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Living outside of a pre-determined shelter is never more desirable, but as stated before there is no way to know.
Being prepared is the next best thing.

There are many ways to be prepared. Wandering around on foot and pitching tents in unknown areas with my family in tow are two options that are really close to the bottom of my preparedness list.

I probably seem like I'm being a bit of a jerk about this but I work with non-profit organizations to assist them in disaster preparedness so I'm kind of a "semi-professional" I guess. There is a contingent of people who don't even camp on a regular basis who think zombies are coming to eat their brains and wandering around in the wilds is at the top of their list of ways to avoid their imagined zombie apocalypse. They've seen movies where this works well and figure it's the best/only approach to avoiding real disasters. What it is ... is a great way to end up dead when you could have been only slightly inconvenienced.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm not sure it matters why...if the OP things he needs one then he needs one. Honestly, if I can find a really lite one I may throw it in one of my bags too. If there is a disaster my bag is on the way out the door. If it's in my bag it can't get separated from it hopefully limiting the effects of Murphy's Law.

The tarp is a really good suggestion. I didn't look at the links so I'm not sure if this is suggested in them, but I wonder if you could even sew the tarp beforehand so it has a shape.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts