Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
no but michigan does have hogs, if i ever see one i am gonna pop it.

Good round would be 30-06, .308 or similar.

I wouldnt want to be close enough i counted on a handgun myself. They have tusks and can knock you over and work you over really good with their tusks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lotsa ways to hunt boar. I plan on going out with dogs and gettin' up close and personal with a knife in February.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A couple years ago my brother and I hunted Russian boars on a ranch in CO, He killed his with his bow, I shot mine with a S&W 460 mag:twisted: They both did the job qite nicely. I'd stick with a 357 mag or up with a handgun. A rifle, pretty much anything suitable for big game should work.

qrprat77---I wanted to do that, but the dogs the guy had were too stupid to keep the boar down long enough. His words, not mine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
How about a shotgun?
I'll be bringing mine with slugs for backup and such. that's standard I think. The WMA I'll be on allows two guys, three dogs and one gun per permit. That's usually how it works in FL most times.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What woudl be better, a .45 with a 5" barrel or 357 magnum with a 2" barrel?:confused:
With a short barrel 357 and a 5" .45, energy will be pretty close. Somewhere around 375-400 ft/lbs at 50 yds. I'd tend to think a longer barrel .45 will probably be more accurate than a 2" 357. I guess it depends on how long of a shot you plan to take. If you're gonna be using dogs, you may shoot at point-blank range. If you plan to take a shot at more than 40-50 yards, I wouldn't consider either of these rounds. Step up to a 41 mag or bigger.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I harvested my 1 and only hog years ago in TN with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag that I no longer have. :-(

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Lotsa ways to hunt boar. I plan on going out with dogs and gettin' up close and personal with a knife in February.

Hahaha....your the second Floridian I know of that said they will be hunting boar with a knife.....

My uncle is a teacher in St. Cloud....his very good friend (a fellow teacher and avid hunter) told me about how he was planning on taking a boar with a knife...

Please don't take this the wrong way....but you guys are freakin nuts in Florida.....but my hat's off to you for having some big ole brass balls for getting that close to a boar.....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yep been boar hunting.

.223 was not a good choice, 6.5x55 Sweede was, .243 seemed to work alright too.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I've found in this forum if I want to find a post I already typed, I use my name "yocan" "xdtalk" and the subject on google and it works great so here you are. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/59913-hog-hunting-my-ar.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/62625-hog-hunting-desert-eagle.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/91139-pigs-357-mag-3.html

My longest type up... I'm cutting it from a previous post.

In order of kills.

22-250 at 20 feet, scoped at 200 yards, it walking towards us, shot. It ripped a baseball chunk out of its spine right at the highest point of its back (we thought it was the scoping. but it turns out that the bullet drops only 4", if you shoot a hot walking straight at you, the bullet deflects off its forehead, so that it bounced off its forehead, and takes out the spine, we got very lucky, I just figured this out this year.) Good shot by my dad in my opinion we didn't know about the skull would deflect the round. Four rounds later it died, spinning and roaring in anger at us (as in spinning with its legs kicking making a kill shot next to impossible, he shot it through the snout once accidentally because it kept moving) It was 350 lbs or so.

22LR 12 yards. My shot, dad decided he didn't want to clean two, so I got the shot. (I was ten) So went down to kneeling, it walked towards me cocked its head to the side and I shot it as it stepped to go away from me. Hit it right in the heart, it started running BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. I also while it was running hit it in the left lung. It went down 20 feet or so. My running after it also was were I had my once in my life (knock on wood) negligent discharge when I tripped. It was 120 lbs or so.

12 gauge slug 28" barrel 80 yards, right on the money off by .5" of where I intended to shoot. Blew both lungs and I didn't know where the heart was so a little high for that it then when grunting in anger at me, I put 4 22LRs into the back of its head. 10 minutes later it died screaming and hollaring all the way. Mildly tramautizing for an 11 year old, I still remember it with shudders, it taught me a lot. It was I think 280 lbs or so.

30-06 My brother not the best common sense. He's the best shot of anyone thats never been taught how to shoot properly. He shoots a 550 lbs+ hog in the back left section of it, it rushes him, this is 20 yards maybe 30 yards (I wasn't there), his best friend (who's rifle it was) pops him in the face with said rifle, rips it out of his hands, chambers a fresh round, shoots it at their feet. Great tasting hog.

My Point it, and I have more hogs that didn't go down right away stories. Be careful, If your going to use an arrow, Have three on standbye, your typical wide tip for deer and hogs under 180 or so, a middle sized broadhead for a larger hog, and a pencil thin, razor sharp deep penetrating tip for a 300 lb + hog. and remember a bullet to its head when its charging you may indeed bounce off. and hogs never go down right away thats why hog spears have crossbars to keep them from running up the shaft and goring you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts