Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new on this forum but thought it was a kool site. Anyway, my topic is that I have the xd-40 sub and v-10 service and both of the blueing are coming off. Any suggestions? :evil:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
The XD finish is what they call brunial, but I don't know what that means. If it already wore off, you might consider a re-finish job with something a bit more wear resistant. Check the search feature and you will find lots of info about re-finish work that other members have had done.

G

·
I have read where others say they have sent in their guns for warranty work because of this to be armory koted. They said that SA even paid them back eventually for the shipping. Check it out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The finish on the XD is somewhat of a mystery to those who seek to know what it is.

All I can say is that I have owned my XD40 for over three years, and I have fired thousands of rounds through it. I have worn it in the rain on the range, in the summer humidity of south Georgia (damn hot and muggy), did not clean it until over 3,000 rounds to see how it would hold up (and it held up fine, I simply forgot that I was going to leave it dirty, and cleaned it up..duh). I have wear marks on the top of the chamber from it meeting the underneath of the slide during operation, but I do keep it lightly oiled and have NEVER found any rust on it.

I am likening it's finish to the finish on the SIGS and GLOCKS..tough, but not invincible. I don't think any finish is "perfect". Standard preventive maintenance should always be in place with anything metal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My finish has worn off in many places after less than a month of carry. Before I sell the XD, I'll send it in to Springfield to get it redone.

I think it's just some sort of powder coated crap that wasn't meant to last very long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to sell the gun just for the finish. The gun is great even if the finish is bad. You can coat the gun for 45 and up or warranty. If they didn't finish the gun under warranty, I would let them gun coat it for payment. I've had my h&k recoated in less than 1 year that's what there are for. To use at the range and get better with practice!

·
Registered
373 Posts
as far as i know the shop i bought my xd from said it was 2 tone but not stainless they said its just some silver finish sa put on but it s holding up with the weather here in florida so it cant be to bad but if you want to refinish your gun i heard a lot about dura coat from people and its so easy to do from what i here all you got to do is order the color you want and buy the airbrush kit from walmart for the model cars and follow directions from dura coat and your good to go i havent used it yet but thats what i heard

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have all three XD-40's...the only one I am having any bluing problem with at all is the 5" tactical..which is my oldest....I called springfield and spoke with a warranty rep...she told me to send it in and they would armorkote it for no charge IF they found it to be a warranty issue...the only reason it would not be a warranty issue is if MAJOR abuse to the finish caused the bluing to come off. She also gave me a shipping number to give to UPS when I took the gun to have it shipped. If you give this number to UPS..the shipping charges are waived..and charged directly to Springfield......I LOVE my XD's..I am a police officer...and was carrying the glock 22 as my service weapon..with a baby glock 40 as my back up and off duty...when I shot the XD....and found out that they have a lifetime warranty on their guns, i went out..and traded my two glocks for THREE XD's......you cant go wrong.
Good luck with your XD

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Mine is only showing signs of wear on the edges from holster use. It kind of gives it character. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an XD that has finish issues.. spoke to Springfield, they are very happy to take a look at it for me and give me some options.. some of which might be covered under warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts