1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It works as well as anything, I guess.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i tried it according to directions and wasn't happy with it.

i've now tried it with additional directions and still don't care for it. sat it in saucepan full of heating water, used very hot damp towel to attempt to rub it on xd, still got more of the stuff crumbling inside my slide than i got to soften on the outside. and it fills in all the cracks, crevices, and holes on my xd, which i don't particularly care for, as i then have to use a very small needle point to clean it all out.

i just don't get it. i guess it's just me.

that said, both pistol-gear and the gentleman from blue wonder that posts here seemed very sincere in addressing my problems when i first acquired it, and i do believe both are helpful and i would/will conduct business with them, just not for this product.

dn
cincinnati
xd40 service
xd9sc

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here are a couple tips for using Armadillo:

First - scrape small flakes off the large chunk of the product with a knife- I use an empty film canister to collect a small pile of the flakes. Place the canister in the microwave and heat it for several minutes. It takes a while for it to really soften up, but once it does it is very simple to apply. I use a DRY cloth to apply it, not a damp cloth as is recommended by the manufacturer. I see no benefit in using a wet cloth to apply a product that is supposed to repel water....anyway, rub the warm, soft wax onto all the surfaces of the slide and metal parts - and squish it down into those cracks and crevices, that's where it is supposed to go.

To remove the excess, use a clean toothbrush with firm bristles. Work the brush back and forth rapidly and it will take the excess wax right out of those pesky cracks in no time - no more needle point or toothpick work. Use a clean cloth to buff the rest of the slide.

When I am done, I simply place the cap on the film canister and put it away. Next time I need to apply Armadillo, out comes the film canister and, if necessary, I scrape off a little more wax. This reduces the waste that seems to accrue when trying to apply the stuff as the instructions suggest.

Once you have thoroughly coated the slide and metal parts with the Armadillo, you are good to go for many days, if not weeks, depending on usage. I carry about 40-50% of the time and only have to reapply the Armadillo about every 4-6 weeks.

Good luck and don't give up on Armadillo, it is a fantastic product.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just don't follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer
Well, maybe. The stuff works great when it is applied properly. How you get it on the gun is up to you, I found that modifying the application process makes it easier for me. You may have different results. Apply it however you want, as long as you apply it. It works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts