Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many are using a non-firing capable weapon like one of the blue plastic guns?

I have to practice and get very used to handgun handling, especially when drawing from a holster. I want to get into the 1.5 second or less window desirable for self-defense.

My safety training is "old-school": dependent on a mechanical trigger safety, and it will take a lot of practice to get switched over to keeping my finger straight and out of the trigger guard, until ready to fire.

The practice drills in the top thread are excellent, but I don't want to have a real weapon, lying around that much. The blue color makes it obvious it is not a real weapon, and I won't have panic attacks or nightmares about what firing condition my off-range practice gun is in.

I'll also know that if my real self-defense XDm is in a holster, it is in condition one.

I think having a set of blue guns, would be ideal for classroom instruction on holding, carrying, clearing, retention, reloading techniques and moves, while being absolutely safe at all times.

Thanks for your feedback / experience on this.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
a snap cap will be better, as trigger control is able to be practiced.

clearing and reloading techniques are not possible with a dummy gun.

the only time i have seen them incorporated is with instructors showing force on force moves, gun shop holster displays, or for holster makers.

·
Registered
877 Posts
a snap cap will be better, as trigger control is able to be practiced.

clearing and reloading techniques are not possible with a dummy gun.

the only time i have seen them incorporated is with instructors showing force on force moves, gun shop holster displays, or for holster makers.
+1 on the snap caps, plus I like the idea of getting familiar with the weapon you are using. The blue gun may draw great for you, but the blue gun does you no good in a SD situation..... Practice with your reg gun unloaded for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
One more time

Dry fire rules
Dry Fire Rules

1. Set a reasonable time limit for the dry fire practice session. 10-15 minutes is optimal. 30 minutes in one session is max for beneficial effort.
2. Designate a dry fire area. Dry fire should only be done in that area.
3. Unload your weapon. Unload all magazines and ammunition carriers.
4. Put all ammo in another room. NO AMMO EVER IN DRY FIRE AREA!
5. Place dry fire target in such a manner that a negligent discharge would be captured. Dry fire targets should only be displayed during practice. Do not use TV images as dry fire targets as this violates rule 5 and 8.
6. Present weapon. Point in a safe direction and recheck to make positive the weapon is empty. Double check magazines and ammo carriers. Triple check.
7. You are now mentally ready for Dry Fire Practice Session. Concentrate on the dry fire practice drills and avoid all distractions. If you experience a distraction, such as a phone call, knock on the door, or a question from someone in the room etc. immediately cease dry fire practice. If you decide to continue, you must return to step 1 and proceed through all the steps.
8. After the last dry fire practice drill is complete, you must mentally leave dry fire practice. Put away the target. Leave the dry fire area and say out loud-“I have completed my dry fire practice”. The session is over!!! DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO SAY OR THINK “ONE MORE TIME”!!!!!!!!!!!
9. Place your weapon in the condition of your choice and review the four safety rules.
1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded!
2. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

If using an outomatic, simulate second shots or only practice one shot from a draw. Raking the slide to cock the hammer should only be done during the re-holster action. All things done during dry fire will become habit; during a gun fight raking after every shot only empties the magazine faster.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
During dry fire practice things like mag changes and firing while moving can also be done. Snap cap is up to you, the XD takes very little slide movement to recock.
DO NOT RECOCK FOR EVERY SHOT!!! Simulate extra shots after the initial trigger pull.
My dry fire area has extra pair of pants. I actually change clothes to practice. Vest for concealment is there too. My carry gun doesn't enter the area. Both CCW and dry fire guns are XDs so I loose nothing by doing this. If you don't have two make sure to follow directions above.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the message that a blue gun can't be used for self defense.

Any instructors out there using a blue gun for their classes?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used a half "blue", half black gun at The US Training Center, but it fired Simunition. Probably not something you'd want to practice with either. At least not at home.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Exactly where does one get the blue guns? I would like to make my own holster(s) using kydex and/or leather and do not want to subject my XDm to what is required to mold these materials.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This company manufactures, "Firearm simulators":

Blueguns: Train Safe and Train Smart?

Common exercises for training weapon simulators:

Practicing of position and stance
Target selection
Use of force consideration
Weapon retention
Disarming
Room clearance
Building & Vehicle clearance / searching
Sudden assault training
Close quarters battle
Using cover
Immediate action/failure response
Moving and multiple target engagement
Personal survival

Here is one source of the XDM40: https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum11371.php

BotachTactical has quite a few models, also

======================================

Blade-Tech plastic training barrels, is another way to do this. They have the advantage of allowing

1. Real trigger action for dry fire practice
2. Full slide action, to cock and simulate clearing a jam / reloading.
3. Obvious external check that firearm cannot chamber or fire a round. It is safe.

Training Barrel :: Training Accessories :: Blade-Tech Industries

On the above page the manufacturer lists barrels for

XD 40SW 4" barrel
XD 40SW 5" barrel
XDM 40SW 3.8" barrel
XDM 40SW 4.5" barrel

--------------------------------------------------

Here is one distributor, but they don't have all the XD/XDM models shown:

Blade-Tech Training Barrels

I am not sure if the XD 9/40 barrel could be used in an XDM 40 compact. The barrrels can be cutoff, to fit your weapon. cost is about $9 !!!

----------------------------------------------------

5.11 also sells training barrels, they may be the Blade-Tech barrels:

5.11 Training Barrel

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Exactly where does one get the blue guns? I would like to make my own holster(s) using kydex and/or leather and do not want to subject my XDm to what is required to mold these materials.

I've made quite a few kydex holsters for pistols and sheathes for knives. They're not subjected to much of anything and I have never experienced any damaged caused by warm kydex. Leather on the other hand, I don't know anything about forming.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I purchased a Blue XD Service model from a member here. Use it for training, teaching grip, stance, and general firearm safety.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use this, it's call DRY-FIRE.
The grip it's weighted, you can hear & feel the positive reset. Including holster I think I paid between $55-$60.
DRY-FIRE.com
Thanks for this info.

How To Dry Fire the DRY-FIRE Training Pistol | DRY-FIRE

The documentation on the web, does not say specifically what the Dry-Fire pistol is sized to be in terms of grip profile, it looks like a Colt 1911 simulator. Does it feel similar to an XD or XDm?

I was interested by how it can be reset (by pushing a "decocking lever") to have a strong trigger pull, like a Double-Action trigger for the first pull, and then the following pulls are lighter, more like a Single-Action trigger. Since my XDm has only Single-Action pull, and no decocking lever, I just would not ever reset it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ASP makes plastic Red Guns that are in the $50 range, but do not have moving parts. They are used for weapon retention, holster security, disarming, drawing exercises. Also used to teach personnel to handle, transport, retain and present firearms.

At this time, no Springfield models are made, but their Glock 9mm/ .357 / .40 Compact model is fairly close in shape to the XDm 3.8 barrel models. The ASP Red Gun models have metal interior reinforcement and a red polymer body, but are still noticeably lighter than a real handgun.

Glock 9mm/.357/40 Compact Training Red Gun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts