Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm a noob, if you can't tell allready! (1 post) Anyway, I just picked up a new XD40 on Friday and at the time i didn't notice, but the slide does have some blemishes on it, seems like scuff marks but they don't come out, you know..the kind that only show up at certain angles in the light. It also has about a 1 inch hairline scratch on it, not very noticeable at all, its on the angled part of the slide between the bottom part and the thinner upper part of the slide. Anyway, i cant return it to the store (sportsmans warehouse, Aurora CO) so i'm just a little bummed about it, but i'm not too concerned....but for future info... those of you who have sent back their pistols to SA, what is the process...Do I need an FFL to send it? and will they charge me a fee above the normal shipping?

This is my first gun to own, though I have a fair amount of 9mm experience from the military and i'm looking forward to taking it out to the range for the first time tomorrow (well...actually....later on today).

Peace

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about a little scratch. Once you get some proper holster wear (character, it's a good thing) on it, you won't even notice it!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Try using a good coat of Armadillo from Blue Wonder.

It goes on similar to car wax, and the result is the same as well. It usually will fill in and hide small scratches. It also is a great protectant against rust.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
That scratched was probably from the takedown lever. Someone must have tried flip the takedown lever into the horizontal position when the slide was closed.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
is it black or bi-toned stainless?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's what the Mad Ogre thinks about scruff marks.

http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Springfield_XD_Sub_Compact.htm

"Some say the finish is prone to wear. Feh! Who cares? This is a working gun and not some shelf ornament for your safe. Carry guns, unless they are stainless SHOULD show some holster wear. Unless your some sort of pussy that doesn’t even carry. Personally I LIKE holster wear. Gives the gun some character. CCW guns are a lot like a new pair of BDUs in this regard. You can tell the veteran soldiers from the FNGs by the state and condition of your BDUs. Bright green colors and fresh starch? Yeah, that’s all fine and well if you are a REMF. "

·
Registered
208 Posts
Old School said:
I agree that Armadillo will both preserve and protect the finish. Being a wax, Armadillo "lubes" the slide a bit, helping to reduce holster wear.
I agree with with old school. Armadillo is a great product.

If you really want to sent the XD back to SA to have the slide refinished, give them a call. Their customer service will tell you what to do. No ffl is required. When I sent my slide back it took 30 days to get my XD back, but they paid freight both ways (not sure if this is always the case). If you have to pay freight, then expect to ship it over night.

Hope this helps & welcome to the XD family!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for all your input...that's great. Yeah...i'm not really worried about the scratch all that much...but I am worried about the overall quality of the finish. I may in the future send it somewhere for a coating.

Anyway...I took it to the indoor range today, put about 150 rnds thru it and actually i'm a little concerned about something that happened while i was there. After putting a 100 rnds or so thru it, I inserted my next magazine and pulled the slide release, and it didn't close all the way, so I released that mag, removed round from chamber and inserted my second magazine and bam same thing! So being the noob that i am, i'm looking around for the range master...appearently there was no range master, so i went to the front counter and asked a guy to check it out....he went there, inserted the same magazine, pulled the release, and of course...it worked fine, he did the same with the other mag and it worked as well...of course it did!!!...so i continued with my range work, and then the same thing happened to me again! I made sure the rounds in the magazine were all position to the rear of the mag and still it jammed the slide. SOOOO...I waited a minute or so, reinserted the same mag with same rounds, and it worked fine. My noob conclusion is that when it is hot it has trouble loading rounds into the rear of the bore. What do you all think? Other than that...i had a blast shooting it and I think i did ok for not shooting any firearm in over 5 years.

here's some pics (I think i can load them :? )

well..looks like i cannot get the pics to work :( ...nevermind...got it!!

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Your feedramp may need to be smoothed/polished a bit. I'd suggest using the sling-shot method for the time being, until things go into battery 100%. That said, I'd suggest you always using the sling-shot method, as I was once told it is easier on the slide release lever.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had an identical issue with my XD40 when I first shot it. FTF issues where the round would not feed. I polished the feed ramp and the problem went away. Here's the link on how to do the polishing http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16878&highlight=feed

To be honest with you I did not use the above method. All I did was clean the barrel and breech thoroughly. I took a dremel with a 520 polishing bit and polished the feed ramp in an up and down (12 o'clock & 6 o'clock) motion. Do not polich left to right on the feed ramp. Used a little polishing compound that came with the Dremel (don't know what kind). After about 5 minutes the feed ramp is shiney. Reclean the barrel and breech and you are done.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hold it a little tighter when you do that...... :?

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as the blemishes go, If i rub mine with cleaning oil for about 10 minutes, they rub out. i dont know how i get them, but the 3 or 4 light scratches ive had on my slide rub out with enough effort.

eventually i wont care, but its still too new for me to want it mucked up. its a sexy gun, i want it to stay sexy for awhile.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Old School said:
That said, I'd suggest you always using the sling-shot method, as I was once told it is easier on the slide release lever.
Just using the lever sometimes stops the slide from going all the way forward and it is also a better way to reload in a stressful situation.

Military and cops always teach to slingshot versus using just the release because of the fine motor skills that go to sh1t when the sh1t hits the fan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts