Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to what everyone thought of the performance on Blazer and WWB ammo. The price is around the same at the local Wally World, and have been considering buyin cases of one of the two.
Your input will be greatly welcomed

·
Registered
150 Posts
I personally like the Blazer more but you have to check to make sure your range will allow it. A lot of them won't because of the shell casings (obviously I'm refering to the aluminum casings not the brass version)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just curions, what is the reason behind a range not allowing the aluminum cases? Is is simply they don't want to sort it out of the brass or is there other problems?

I have shoot some of the Blazer Brass in my XD-40 and it works really well and I love the Blazer (Al) for my Ruger Blackhawk. For the price I have yet to find a more accurate 357 Mag load.

mcb

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the luxury of living down the road for a very nice public shootin range provided by the DNR...the recently redid everything
its nice to see tax dollars goin to good use around here :wink:
the only ammo they frown on is incendiary rounds...for fear of startin brush fires
i'll post pics one of these days

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find Blazer Brass shoots a lot more accurately than the WWB. Yesterday I bought up every box Mal-Wart had.

CCI makes really good stuff in .22 as well.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
There is a range near me, that has a "no Blazer" policy, but it has nothing to do with sorting brass cases.

They have a board with two pistols mounted on it, that have blown up, from the owners using Blazer alloy cased ammo. One Pistol is a Smith J-frame 38 revolver and the other is a Glock 19. The blown Blazer cases of each are on display as well. Not exactly crappy guns.

The gunsmith there claims that the Blazer cases ruptured in these two guns on their range and this is why they do not allow the use of Blazer alloy cased ammo. They claim the alloy cases can be weaker than brass. They DO allow Blazer Brass ammo, though.

The gunsmith is one with about 20 years expereince and he encourages everyone to stay away from the alloy cased Blazer ammo, period.

I, for one, am heeding his advice. I stick to Winchester White Box in my 40 and 45s and 9x19s. It seems to be good accurate practice foder and why take the chances for another dollar or so a box? Surely your vision and pistol are worth more than a dollar or so extra...right?

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
150 Posts
The gunsmith there claims that the Blazer cases ruptured in these two guns on their range and this is why they do not allow the use of Blazer alloy cased ammo. They claim the alloy cases can be weaker than brass.
Hmm, I'd never heard of that.. could these have been attempted reloads on the aluminum casings?

Is is simply they don't want to sort it out of the brass or is there other problems?
From my experience, its just some places don't want the hassle of sorting out the brass

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was more wondering about the newer brass version of the Blazer
I haven't shot any from my XD yet, but used to swear by CCI Stingers, or mini-Mags when using my .22 for rabbits etc.
super clean and high powered.....

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Blazer Brass is very accurate out of my XD-40. I love it.

Its availability is a problem. Sometimes my stores have lots, other times all they have is WWB.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
380 Posts
blazer brass not blazer at wally world...i get the blazer brass

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
blazer all the way. works perfectly,alum or bras. my service xd wont extract wwb.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i swear i love this forum
thank you for some quick feedback

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oops! I just bought 5 boxes of the aluminum blazer from Academy and shot 100 rounds today out of a sig 239. I also have a glock 19, that I was planning on using. I may have to reconsider now......

I wish my local Bass Pro Shop would put their UMC on sale again. They're box of 50 went up from $6.99 to $7.49 in just a week. I bought about 10 boxes at $2.88 per box last September. If they have that sale again, I'm going to have to drop a couple hundred bucks!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Years ago CCI sent a warning not to shoot their .357 magnum blazer (aluminum) in lever action rifles. If I remember correctly there was a danger of cases rupturing when fired. I guess the problem still exists today. :?

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I have run close to 1000 rounds of CCI through my gun with no problems. I think it's very unfair to fault blazer ammo because two guns out of the 10's of thousands of guns out there that have had blazer ammo through them blew up. We already know glock has an unsupported chamber which can cause kabooms. To blame blazer for just two kabooms does not convince me it's unsafe ammo.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yeah I don't buy that either. Are those the only kabooms he's ever had and they were both blazer? Doubtful.

EDIT: Believe it or not it actually IS possible to reload blazer ammo although it's not meant to be done. If these kabooms really did happen then that coulda been it. Also I've heard that CCI blazer acquired that bad rep because of the early runs of the stuff 10 years ago had some problems which have been tweaked out.

brad cook

·
Registered
285 Posts
OneEye,

Was it Blazer brass or alloy? I've had great luck with both Blazer brass and WWB in my XD Service and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one. I just buy whichever is cheaper. However, I have steered clear of the Blazer Alloy.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Paladin said:
OneEye,

Was it Blazer brass or alloy? I've had great luck with both Blazer brass and WWB in my XD Service and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one. I just buy whichever is cheaper. However, I have steered clear of the Blazer Alloy.
I don't think one-eye minds me saying it but he shoots the aluminum blazer just like me. I've got over 1000 rounds of it through my XD as well and never had a hitch..no jams, no squibs, not even a stovepipe. Just straight shooting, flawless ammo that is cheaper than anything else out there. I have had squibs and jams with WWB for what it's worth but I wouldn't have any problem using it for target ammo if I couldn't get ahold of blazer for so cheap.

EDIT: Oops..too late. :)

brad cook

P

·
0 Posts
I shot WWB and Blazer brass last week, and it's all good. Spank you very much.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts