Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the posts here about the decent price on this stuff, I bought two boxes and headed to the range yesterday,along with a box of Federal American Eagle. The failure to feeds (FTE's) started almost immediately. I ended up with 11 in 100. That works out to almost 1.4 per magazine (I have four, load each twice = 96 rounds with four left over). In other words, 11% FTE's. Not good. After finally shooting through that garbage, I loaded the Federal and shot without problems. Various types of Remington and Winchester have yielded similar (to the Federal) results.
If you can use the stuff, fine. But with an 11% failure rate, that was my first and last experience with Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Just because a particular round doesn't work in your gun doesn't mean it's garbage. There are plenty of people on this forum who have tried Winchester White Box and had problems, does that make that ammo garbage? No, because many folks use it just fine. Just as many people use the Brass Blazers with no problem. Try the Blazers in another gun, they'll probably work fine. In particular,this is why one must always try one's self defense ammo in one's carry gun, self defense ammo seems particularly finicky. While I feel all quality guns should feed and fire all quality ammo, this just doesn't work out in real life.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Blazer Brass feeds smoother than anything else in my 40. I've dang near given up on WWB.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
solution: switch to WWB

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went through 700 rounds of WWB with no problems.

CCI Blazer, I shot 150 rounds, 6 FTF's

I think its also much more dirty, literally. My fingers were blackened, and when cleaning, the gun was also much much much more dirty.

But still, my 40 doesn't like it. I have heard though some 40's dont like the WWB so I dunno. XD's seem picky, there is no answer for it really.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was shooting WWB, but have tried a few boxes of Blazer Brass in my XD-40 lately. Haven't had any problems with it so far. My ED has eaten everything from factory reloads to Ranger hollowpoints without a hiccup.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The 165 grain 40S&W Blazer Brass cause alot of FTF from full magazines in my XD-40 Service, it feed fine as long as I don't out more the 5 or 6 round in a magazine. The 180 grain Blazer Brass have never given me a single problem. Each gun is going to have its likes and dislikes I guess.

mcb

·
Registered
24 Posts
I shoot both and never had a problem with either. I think I have had one FTF in the past 2000+ rounds of both brands.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have been extremely happy with CCI Blazer (brass or aluminum casing, shot both) in my XD-40 or XD-9. And I found the CCI Blazer to be cleaner than WWB, I kid you not. I think I have stuck with the 180 grain in .40 cal.

·
Registered
513 Posts
XD 40 has over 500 WWB 165grn and over 500 Blazer Brass 180grn and no problems with either. My gun does prefer 165grn over the 180. My HK does feed WWB 45 w/o problems but accuracy sucks. Blazer Brass in the HK shoots to point of aim and Blazer Brass is much cleaner in both 40 and 45 IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow, these gun are very very picky.

Does it have anything to do with maybe how we are oiling them? Maybe the amount of oil we each are using, could this be a factor?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snake-eater 1 wrote:

Just because a particular round doesn't work in your gun doesn't mean it's garbage.

I wasn't saying that this round is garbage for you. If you, or anyone else can shoot Blazer Brass without problems, as I said, fine - more power to you. For me and my particular gun however, an 11% failure rate is unacceptable, therefore for me it's garbage. With three other brands of ammo that so far have performed flawlessly, I don't need Blazer Brass. As you and others have said, that's why you shoot several different brands and types so you'll know what feeds reliably through your gun. I was simply stating my experience, not impugning Blazer Brass as a whole.

·
Registered
14 Posts
first, i would like to say this is a WONDERFUL site and this is my first post. that said, i have shot over 300 rounds of 180 blazer through my xd 40 tact. with NO trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first box of ammo I shot thru my XD 40 was blazer, until I got my reloading dies, bullet mold, etc. No problems. I've shot several boxes of blazer .45acp in my 1911, also not problems. I have had a few Blazer .22 rounds not go bang, though the rim showed a firing pin dent.
Probably one bad round in every couple bricks, or so.
My 175g. lswc handloads feed great in the XD40 as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts