Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just ordered one of their new Serpa CQC retention holsters for my XD 40 Service from Alternate Force's website. This particular holster for the XD seems to be on backorder until January from just about everyone. From the sounds of it, Blackhawk hasn't even shipped them to distributors yet. Maybe I'll post a review as soon as I get mine in (in a few weeks hopefully!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have one for my Glock 22. I use it at work when I'm stuck in the office. It's not much for concealability (at least for me) but it's comfortable, and extremely quick to draw from with a little practice. I didn't know they made one for the XD. I may have to get one for my XD9 (when I get my XD9!)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another update...the store I mentioned I ordered mine from (Alternate Force) just emailed me today. They said Blackhawk just moved the delivery date to market back again (10th time they claim) to at least the end of February 2005. They said as a courtesy to their customers, they are cancelling all of the orders for the XD holsters and putting us on the "to be notified" list so we don't keep our hopes up. They, like many other retailers I've talked to, seemed pretty upset at the service level. I'm pretty bummed as I've been waiting for months now. I emailed Blackhawk directly asking them for an explanation. I'll keep you all posted when and if I hear back.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Blackhawk confirmed with me the other day that it will be the end of February 2005 (at least) until the XD holster and mag pouches will be available. From the sounds of it, I would guess that these items are most likely produced outside the country. The Blackhawk folks made it sound like they were waiting on the shipment themselves before they could supply distributors. I guess we'll all just have to wait a little longer...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a comment on if BlackHawk gear holds up under hard use. Most SWAT / ERT / SRT team use blackhawk gear and we train the way we play. I use there stuff all the time a the tactial medic. We have never had any problem with the gear. Even if we did there is a lifetime warrenty on there gear. They sell a ton of gear to our folks in the land sand box. Any questions to the quality of there gear just read the after action equipment reports and what our troops are requesting.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
PATOMSMEDIC said:
Any questions to the quality of there gear just read the after action equipment reports and what our troops are requesting.
There is no doubt that BlackHawk makes tough gear. I have seen some amazing tests with their holsters, where I guy bent it in half and if went back to shape, without snapping. A popular budget holster snapped.

Good info, PATOMSMEDIC!

Old School

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well...after long last I finally received my SERPA holster. I gotta say at first I was convinced I was sending it back (long story...the store I was on a "wait list" with sent it automatically when it came in and didn't notify me) after I recently purchased a Hume open top from Old School. I briefly played around with this new Blackhawk holster and I was hooked. Looks as if I'll be getting rid of my almost brand new Fobus Roto holster ASAP! Not only do you have the active retention from the SERPA feature, but you can adjust the passive retention via a tension screw. The holster is very light as it is made from carbon fiber. The back of the holster is cut different than a Fobus so no more rubbing your knuckles raw when getting a grip on your gun during repeated draw drills at the range. Also, the SERPA lever/button release is well engineered. If you draw normal like you are supposed to (finger along the trigger guard), it just takes a light pressure to release the gun. With minimal practice you can get very quick at this. It feels really natural and not awkward like I thought it might. I'll be running this through its paces a little more at our weekly IDPA-style funshoot with the local gun club to. I doubt I'll be dissapointed after this initial experience but we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Great review, InspectorNugger! I am looking forward to getting these in, as I think they offer a unique value to the market place. The retention of a strap, without the strap. That is kinda cool. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought one a week ago and It came today. The design seems a little flimsy, feeling like a fragile thin plastic the would break easly. Worst of all, the gun rattles around in the holster when its locked in, no amount of tighening on the retention screw fixes this. The only secure point of contact between the gun and holster is the trigger guard, leaving the rest of the gun to flop, twist and rattle. It also has some sharp edges that you finger slides against when releasing/drawing. Good idea, poor implementation. I'm returning it tomorrow though blackhawk customer service.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
captdecoy said:
I bought one a week ago and It came today. The design seems a little flimsy, feeling like a fragile thin plastic the would break easly. Worst of all, the gun rattles around in the holster when its locked in, no amount of tighening on the retention screw fixes this. The only secure point of contact between the gun and holster is the trigger guard, leaving the rest of the gun to flop, twist and rattle. It also has some sharp edges that you finger slides against when releasing/drawing. Good idea, poor implementation. I'm returning it tomorrow though blackhawk customer service.
Interesting. I look forward to getting our first batch in the week, as the unit I saw a while back did have such traits.

The material is thinner, however it is tough as nails from what I saw.

Old School

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I have been playing with this holster of a little while. It took about a minute to get the Serpa portion to become second nature. By using a natural draw, you should be able to release the lock with no issue.

My only complaint is the amount of room above the slide. Being that I have Dawson on all of my XDs, and the Dawson front is tall, it seems to rub a bit on the draw. That said, like all holsters, your sight will wear a natural path based on your draw.

Old School

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
does it hold tight to your side? i notice a lot of "plastic" holsters tend to stick out.

i have a Galco matrix, it hugs real nice... have you had experience with both? could you tell me if one fits tighter than the other?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts