Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
It is an good holster... just keep in mind a few things.

1. The paddle attachment is terrible. It's flimsy and the teeth (meant to keep it from being pulled out of your pants) are worthless. You can use the belt attachment, but it's hard plastic and therefore doesn't bend... so if you are a slim person with a small waist, this is not a good thing.

2. The holster does not work well with a 9MM XD. They tried to fix the problem, but the pistol still tends to move around a bit in the holster. This is because they made it for the larger framed .40 caliber and figured anything smaller would just fit right in... wrong.

3. I have not been please with Blackhawks customer service. I have had to do battle with them on several occasions and it seems as if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. This is just my experience, but was enough for me to decide against buying anything else from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I also have one with the serpa feature. I like it very much, but I have never had anything else so I have nothing to compare it to. The index release is very natural. I only once forgot to release when trying to draw.

pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I am quite the opposite of 'small' (265 lbs.) I am not afraid to modify the attachment options, so long as the holster grips the gun right.

Dotagious said:
It is an good holster... just keep in mind a few things.

1. The paddle attachment is terrible. It's flimsy and the teeth (meant to keep it from being pulled out of your pants) are worthless. You can use the belt attachment, but it's hard plastic and therefore doesn't bend... so if you are a slim person with a small waist, this is not a good thing.

2. The holster does not work well with a 9MM XD. They tried to fix the problem, but the pistol still tends to move around a bit in the holster. This is because they made it for the larger framed .40 caliber and figured anything smaller would just fit right in... wrong.

3. I have not been please with Blackhawks customer service. I have had to do battle with them on several occasions and it seems as if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. This is just my experience, but was enough for me to decide against buying anything else from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I use the BlackHawk carbon fiber with the index lock on it and shoot IDPA matches with no problems. Like the ideal of a secured latch on the holster si theres no way the gun will fall out.Only took about 30 minutes practice to get use to hitting the latch on a fast draw and havnt missed it YET during the matches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
I'm happy with mine, used it for USPSA/IPSC matches all year with my 40 tact.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,479 Posts
It's been talked about before. This holster is molded for the 40 and seems to work well with the 40. It has not been molded for the 9mm and that's where people start complaining. To loose. Simply stated, until they mold one for the 9 don't buy one expecting it to fit the 9. It's just that simple.

I wish they would get they heads out of their ass and make one for the 9. I'd like one myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
It's been talked about before. This holster is molded for the 40 and seems to work well with the 40. It has not been molded for the 9mm and that's where people start complaining. To loose. Simply stated, until they mold one for the 9 don't buy one expecting it to fit the 9. It's just that simple.

I wish they would get they heads out of their ass and make one for the 9. I'd like one myself.
how long ago did you buy it? I purchased out of the first batch and it's terrible. They gave me a plastic insert and it helped... but could still be better. If you have one of the earlier models, I have a few extra inserts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I also have the Serpa version and a service .40. I like the holster and have no problems with rattling. I would think since you have a .45 GAP you would have no problems either.

By the way the paddle works fine on a 1 3/4 belt. You have to force it over the edge of the belt, then it stays solidly where you put it. Otherwise use the belt attachment.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,479 Posts
Dotagious said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
It's been talked about before. This holster is molded for the 40 and seems to work well with the 40. It has not been molded for the 9mm and that's where people start complaining. To loose. Simply stated, until they mold one for the 9 don't buy one expecting it to fit the 9. It's just that simple.

I wish they would get they heads out of their ass and make one for the 9. I'd like one myself.
how long ago did you buy it? I purchased out of the first batch and it's terrible. They gave me a plastic insert and it helped... but could still be better. If you have one of the earlier models, I have a few extra inserts.
I haven't bought one. Mostly because of all the complains I keep hearing about rattling. Thanks for the offer though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
My wife bought one for her XD-9 to use in IDPA shoots. She loves it. It fits the pistol just fine. No rattling or movement when it's locked in with the trigger guard latch.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
I don't have one for my XD yet but I do have a SERPA for my 1911 and I love it

I really like the positive click when locking in


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
oh, and get the patterend version if for no other reason than it won't rip the skin off your index finger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I have one with the SERPA feature. I like it...alot! I use it for local IDPA matches and I have not found any speed disadvantage with the SERPA feature over the standard model. Seems to have very good construction and fits my XD 40 like a glove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I switched to a SERPA holster when I got a new work assignment, and needed a concealment holster that had retention. I have since switched to this holster for all of the pistols I carry, ( Glock, 1911, & XD-9 ). I will admit that when I first got one, I was concerned about the quality, but the holsters have performed well, including when I got in a pretty dandy fight with a drunk. Gun stayed put, and after treatment, he went to jail. Highly recommended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
First of all I just want to thank everyone in this post for helping me decide to get the Serpa. All of your comments on it were alot of help. The only question that I have is, what is the little block that came with it for. I looked through the insert and can not find anything about it. I was going to contact Blackhawk but from past experences with buying other gear from them that it would be quicker to ask here. They make a great line of product that we use exclusively at work and when we have had things break they are willing to replace them in a matter of days but it takes longer just to get an answer from customer service.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,970 Posts
Are you referring too the little plastic block that was inside the holster? I believe that is for shipping and shelfs reasons, so it won't get crushed in transit.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top