Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know BlackHawk does not make a holster specific to the EMP, but has anyone used an officer's sized 1911 BlackHawk and modified it? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard of multiple instances of people shooting themselves with blackhawk holsters. Apparently when you are drawing in a high stress situation, there is a good change of the blackhawk catching on your gun. Be careful with them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have heard of multiple instances of people shooting themselves with blackhawk holsters. Apparently when you are drawing in a high stress situation, there is a good change of the blackhawk catching on your gun. Be careful with them.
The stories I've heard is that the operator's finger falls into the trigger guard during the draw. In that case, I can't blame the holster but instead the operator. Even if the operator has years of experience, if your booker hooker hits the bang lever then you kind of know what's goiong to happen next...

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts

really......please do tell..........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Humm I havent heard of anyone having any problems with the Blackhawk holsters, I use one for my XD45 and my 2 1911's. I use them when I shoot competition and when I carry, and have never felt like there would be a problem shooting myself. They seem to function very smooth with no catches.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
I had a gun shop employee tell me this too, that it's common for LE to get negligent discharges using serpa holsters. They're great holsters. Other people messing up doesnt make them any less great.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I recently was forwarded an email from a trainer stating the same thing. I wish I kept it ...

It would be more of an issue with Glocks and XDs than a 1911, since the 1911 should have the safety on.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I do know as a general rule a lot of trainers won't allow the Serpas. Most I've talked to will allow them if they know you (and know you won't shoot yourself) or if you can prove that you won't have an ND. It is a "design flaw", it's human nature for your finger to want to go into the trigger guard, especially during fast/high stress draws.

Now, why that was posted here in the first place is beyond me...I don't think he asked about how safe it was.

I don't know if it's been done, I wouldn't do it. I don't like modifying plastic holsters for different guns. Too hard to tell if something might get caught in the trigger guard or if the retention has been effected. Easy with leather since you just buy a holster a little small and let it loosen up to your gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts