Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the CQC Serpa a week or so ago from Botach. I think that was on a Friday. By Tuesday I hadn't heard anything, so called, got voice mail. Left message. No call back. Wednesday called, got voice mail, left message. No call back. Emailed them. Got what appeared to be automated reply later on, advising would ship in next 2-3 weeks. I don't think so. Replied, told them to cancel, I'll go elsewhere. Same day ordered it from another company, can't think of them offhand (would've gone with pistol-gear but they're out of stock), got it today. Coincidentally, got an email today from Botach asking why I cancelled my order. It started off "Dear customer, we've noticed you've cancelled your order...". "Dear Customer"? My first and last name was right in the "to" section of the email they sent, as well as obviously being in the order. I advised them I wasn't too thrilled with the experience I had. I'm sure others have had good experiences, but I unfortunately did not.

On to the holster. I originally planned on carrying it as a paddle holster to replace my Fobus Generation II (has the adjustment screw) kydex paddle holster (no locking retention, but very good "friction" snap-in retention). Forget about the paddle on the Blackhawk, it's a flimsy piece of crap. It'll pop off (up?) from my waist with the mildest of pulls, unlike the Fobus. It's really, really flimsy.

The belt attachment, however, is very nice. Has two sliders that don't slide when you don't want them to, to adjust to different belt widths. Once you get the holster on your belt, and cinch up the two sliders, the holster seems to stay very secure, both horizontally and vertically. As for the fit, I tried it with both my 40 4" and my 9 subcompact. It rattles a bit with both, more with the 9sc. It makes me a bit nervous, knowing the gun is moving around slightly, but I really yanked (quick pull) as well as muscled (slow pull) on the gun in the holster, it wasn't coming out without the retention button pressed.

So I'll recommend it, but not if you're getting it solely as a paddle holster. The locking retention device would be defeated by the fact the bad guy would have the whole package from yanking on it and it coming off your waist, no problem.

Oh, and for you Disney fans, because the entry portion of the holster is splayed out slightly, it does accept XD's with the mickey mouse ears aka thumb rest by Magloc. ( :

hth

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just received the Blackhawk carbon fiber serpa holster from patriot outfitters, and was impressed with it right out of the box. It comes with an adjustable belt and paddle holster. You can further adjust the cant of the pistol with easy to manipulate adjusting screwsl, and get a tight fit on wyour belt with adjustable slides. The serpa mechanism works flawlessly and with practice becomes second nature. You could jump out of a plane with one of these things and you know your weapon will be with you all the way down (unless you release the latch). It is a light weight unit and the carbon fiber insert really makes it visually appealing. I would not use it as a ccw holster but one could with a heavy jacket. I personally got it because it fits the tactical model and I wanted a quick secure holster to carry with me on atv rides. With the tactical model the barrel sticks out around an inch or less. I will post some pics when I get them loaded on the computer. I recommend this holster to anyone who wants a fast, and secure holster that will perform over and over again (hopefully)!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i have it. its ok.

you cant conceal worth a damn with it, and its injection molded (< = no good).

but it does teach you to keep your trigger finger indexed when you draw (thats the only good thing about the holster).

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
mst3kguy said:
Ordered the CQC Serpa a week or so ago from Botach. I think that was on a Friday. By Tuesday I hadn't heard anything, so called, got voice mail. Left message. No call back. Wednesday called, got voice mail, left message. No call back. Emailed them. Got what appeared to be automated reply later on, advising would ship in next 2-3 weeks. I don't think so. Replied, told them to cancel, I'll go elsewhere. Same day ordered it from another company, can't think of them offhand (would've gone with pistol-gear but they're out of stock), got it today. Coincidentally, got an email today from Botach asking why I cancelled my order. It started off "Dear customer, we've noticed you've cancelled your order...". "Dear Customer"? My first and last name was right in the "to" section of the email they sent, as well as obviously being in the order. I advised them I wasn't too thrilled with the experience I had. I'm sure others have had good experiences, but I unfortunately did not.
Actually, I've heard far more people unhappy w/ Bowers (botac) than those that are happy with their service. On the HK boards, they are much maligned due to their lack of adequate let alone good service. The holster, I used one w/ my P2000 for a little bit. Not overly impressed. I'll have to agree it does teach you to draw w/ a proper finger index.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have one of these that I used for my H & K USP compact .40, and had no problem with the paddle attachment. Yeah, it feels flimsy, but when attached to the belt, is quite secure. I had a coworker try to remove a dummy training gun from it and the holster and gun stayed secure while I applied retention techniques. I didn't worry about the gun coming out, or the holster coming out with the gun at all.

I'm currently using an H & K USP full-size .45, and a Galco Fletch for work, until I can find a holster I like for my XD .40. That USP is big and heavy, compared to the XD. I'm a desk jockey, and prefer the comfort of the lighter weight and smaller gun; I may just order the Serpa for my XD.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I had to return some stuff and they were great on the phone, in person and in subsequent communication. I'll be getting more stuff from them for sure, but I was dealing directly with the store in person (south central LA).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this holster for my M-9 about 8 months in Iraq. I have had one for my XD-40 since they came out. It has not given me any problems. I have used all three types of the Serpa holsters (paddle, belt, and thigh holster). They are comfortable and easy to use. It does keep your off the trigger off the trigger. It has good retention. A couple other guys here have gotten them. No it does not conceal very well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a serpa for my glock 17 loved it. Used the paddle attachment. I just bought one for my Xd and it was loose on the XD 9. You can fix this very easily with a heat gun and some patience. Feel free to ask me if any of you have any questions on how to fix the loose fit for your XD9. The paddle attachment has been upgraded by the way and is much better than older design.

Kevin

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'll have to see if I can find the article, but there were two documented cases of where the cqc serpa holster 'accounted' or "assisted" in NDs. I'll see if I can dig it up.

From what I remember, it was that the holster with its serpa retention, caused some people to drag their fingers tighter along the holster since they had to push the button, causing their fingers to keep dragging from momentum into the trigger well causing the firearms to discharge earlier than they wanted them to.

I'll let you know if I can find it..

·
Registered
149 Posts
If your fingers "keep dragging from momentum," stop shooting firearms. They're fingers. Not boulders.

·
Registered
149 Posts
kevinpagano said:
I had a serpa for my glock 17 loved it. Used the paddle attachment. I just bought one for my Xd and it was loose on the XD 9. You can fix this very easily with a heat gun and some patience. Feel free to ask me if any of you have any questions on how to fix the loose fit for your XD9. The paddle attachment has been upgraded by the way and is much better than older design.

Kevin
Kevin, I'm getting an XD9 and I plan to use this holster, so I'm interested as to how you go about getting it to tighten up. I've read that there's no problem on the XD40, only the XD9. Pics would be great!

·
Registered
89 Posts
chrome said:
From what I remember, it was that the holster with its serpa retention, caused some people to drag their fingers tighter along the holster since they had to push the button, causing their fingers to keep dragging from momentum into the trigger well causing the firearms to discharge earlier than they wanted them to.
Doesn't sound right to me. In fact, it doesn't even seem possible. I've got a Serpa for my G17 and you don't have to push that hard to unlock the retention device. Coupled with the fact that to disengage, your finger is applying force perpendicular to the direction in which trigger-pulling force is applied, it doesn't add up. Sounds like someone needed someone to blame for their incompetence. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
k8ysv said:
chrome said:
Doesn't sound right to me. In fact, it doesn't even seem possible. I've got a Serpa for my G17 and you don't have to push that hard to unlock the retention device. Coupled with the fact that to disengage, your finger is applying force perpendicular to the direction in which trigger-pulling force is applied, it doesn't add up. Sounds like someone needed someone to blame for their incompetence. Just my opinion though.

That was my first opinion when i read the article, someone who just ND'ed wanted to find a reason other than themselves..

I still haven't found it yet..i'll keep looking..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
two seperate things:

1. like any holster, the shooter must practice, practice, practice drawing with an unloaded weapon. The button is lined up with the frame, not the trigger.

2. I have the serpa for my 40 tactical, it came with a little square plastic piece in the bag along with the paddle and the holster.......anybody know what this 1"X1" piece of plastic is for????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike, that pieced is for shipping only. By the way does your holster cover the muzzle on your tactical xd. I havent seen them yet.

Darkfire. I will try to post some pics soon, i have never done that yet but i'll try. It is not a hard process to fix the issue. took me about a half hour to get it perfectly tight when locked on place.

On the accidental discharge, I say hogwash. Your finger is in the same place as with any other holster. All AD's should be blamed squarely on the shoulders of the person. These people that buy guns and are careless with them crack me up, just like the people blaming guns for someone getting shot. IF YOU CANT HANDLE YOUR WEAPON, GET TRAINING, IF YOU STILL CANT HANDLE YOUR WEAPON PROFICIENTLY DO US ALL A FAVOR AND SELL ALL YOUR WEAPONS. This goes for LEO"S and Civilians alike.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
802 Posts
found it.....

http://totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18445#post18445

Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the drawstroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.

If this were not disturbing enough, in October 2005, while assisting with a class in Casa Grande, AZ, additional concerns surfaced. During a force-on-force evolution, when a student attempted to draw an NLTA-modified Glock 17 from his Blackhawk Serpa holster, he was unable to free the gun from the holster.

In fact, the gun was so tightly held in the holster that, with one person applying both hands to the release button and another person applying two hands to the pistol, the gun could not be freed. Upon inspection, a small piece of gravel, approximately the size of the head of a pin, had managed to work itself into the Serpa release button and wedge the lock in place.

While trying to effect a release of the pistol from the holster, the entire holster popped off of the belt. The three screws that attach the holster body to the belt plate simply slipped through the tracks in the belt plate without apparent damage. Of what use is a retention holster that does not keep the gun on the belt?

In my opinion, the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster is a severely flawed design. It offers the theoretical advantage of security while, in reality, offering none. It does not hold up to the rigors of realistic training. It accentuates the possibility of an unintentional discharge. It is unsafe.

If you, or anyone known to you, are currently using one of these holsters, please reconsider.

Sincerely,

Paul Gomez
grain of salt...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
kevinpagano said:
Mike, that pieced is for shipping only. By the way does your holster cover the muzzle on your tactical xd. I havent seen them yet.

Darkfire. I will try to post some pics soon, i have never done that yet but i'll try. It is not a hard process to fix the issue. took me about a half hour to get it perfectly tight when locked on place.

On the accidental discharge, I say hogwash. Your finger is in the same place as with any other holster. All AD's should be blamed squarely on the shoulders of the person. These people that buy guns and are careless with them crack me up, just like the people blaming guns for someone getting shot. IF YOU CANT HANDLE YOUR WEAPON, GET TRAINING, IF YOU STILL CANT HANDLE YOUR WEAPON PROFICIENTLY DO US ALL A FAVOR AND SELL ALL YOUR WEAPONS. This goes for LEO"S and Civilians alike.

Just my 2 cents.
Kevin.....the muzzle extends out the bottom a bit....no biggie. The 40 fits perfectly in the holster......with a little practice It'll be quicker than the 6004 style hoodie holster....I really like it so far.....

thanks for the tip on the useless piece of plastic......I looked at it for about 15 seconds asking myself, "what the heck is this for" and didnt give it another thought until the serpa post.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chrome:

I've read that very letter before. I still don't buy it. As I stated earlier, I've got a Serpa for my Glock 17 and I don't see how you can draw the pistol with your finger bent. The release is too far forward for that even for me, and I've got big hands. Besides, even if you were pushing in with the tip, in order to push hard enough to actually activate the trigger, your finger would get hung up in the release button's indent. I just can't help but think they're making excuses for poor trigger discipline.

I still think it's BS but just for giggles, when I get home tonight, I'm going to purposefully try to make this happen to see how easy it would be.

As for the teeny piece of gravel getting in and preventing the release, I dunno. It seems to me that any improperly maintained equipment can fail, and properly maintaining your equipment would mean removing any debris that might work it's way into a mechanism. Still not convinced it's the holster's fault, even if it did really happen.

·
Registered
802 Posts
k8ysv said:
Chrome:

I've read that very letter before. I still don't buy it. As I stated earlier, I've got a Serpa for my Glock 17 and I don't see how you can draw the pistol with your finger bent. The release is too far forward for that even for me, and I've got big hands. Besides, even if you were pushing in with the tip, in order to push hard enough to actually activate the trigger, your finger would get hung up in the release button's indent. I just can't help but think they're making excuses for poor trigger discipline.

I still think it's BS but just for giggles, when I get home tonight, I'm going to purposefully try to make this happen to see how easy it would be.

As for the teeny piece of gravel getting in and preventing the release, I dunno. It seems to me that any improperly maintained equipment can fail, and properly maintaining your equipment would mean removing any debris that might work it's way into a mechanism. Still not convinced it's the holster's fault, even if it did really happen.
K8,

I would lean towards agreeing with you, like I said before, everything with a grain of salt. Its all text to me, and I actually have not purchased or used a holster with the SERPA system in it, so I have no first hand experience from it in regards to the positioning of the gun/button release and so on.

I have SEEN them used, and I had read this article before I saw them on the range, but I didn't get a chance to concentrate on the user's presentation of their firearm to get a good feeling of it.

Let me know how your test goes, and report back to us, always good to get a real deal review.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone have this holster with an XD-9 Tactical? I've read on different posts that the holster doesn't fit the XD-9's as well as it does the XD-40's.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts