Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been fleshed out a bit, but I still have a few questions.

1. Which finish is more prone to rust?
2. Which finish is the most durable, long-lasting?
3. Does the "melonite" finish or treatment 'wear off'?
4. Is the bi-tone effectively worth the extra $$$?
5. Does the stainless on THIS particular gun have to be wiped down and oiled every single time it is touched to prevent rust?

I know its personal preference mainly, but for me, my personal preference is the best 'deal'. If the stainless is more durable or some advantage over the 'black' than I want it!

Oh, and I'm not worried about the 'revealing my position' problem some have mentioned. I have had some experience with other stainless steel products--some hold up very well (and some are pretty terrible)

Thanks for the feedback! I am probably going to order tonight:
$550 BLACK
$585 Bi-Tone

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's up to you which finish you want. I have a bi-tone model and I don't clean it every time I touch it . I wipe it down with a silicone cloth once in a while and it's held up nicely. No rust whatsoever.
Of course the melonite will probably last you a little longer but holster wear will be more visible after a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's up to you which finish you want. I have a bi-tone model and I don't clean it every time I touch it . I wipe it down with a silicone cloth once in a while and it's held up nicely. No rust whatsoever.
Of course the melonite will probably last you a little longer but holster wear will be more visible after a while.

So, the bi-tone hold up great, but the black finish is superior in durability?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah the melonite is better in durability just because the steel is treated a bit more than the plain stainless steel bitone models

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
What accounts for the higher priced bi-tone then?
From what I understand, a higher grade steel is used for the slide of the bi-tone versus the steel used in the black slides.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Stainless steel is stronger and heavier than the regular steel slides. They are less prone to rust (though it is still possible if you touch it a lot without cleaning it once in a while). Also, the heavier stainless steal helps absorb recoil. The price difference is mainly because stainless steel is a higher grade. I personally like the stainless slide better but both will hold up fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stainless steel is stronger and heavier than the regular steel slides. They are less prone to rust (though it is still possible if you touch it a lot without cleaning it once in a while). Also, the heavier stainless steal helps absorb recoil. The price difference is mainly because stainless steel is a higher grade. I personally like the stainless slide better but both will hold up fine.

Ok thanks a lot; from that I most likely will go for bi-tone. I like black, but would rather opt for higher grade material up front. (although if they had a 'stainless' black slide, i.e. M&P, I would go for that :) )

I just wanted some feedback on the different materials of this gun (and its variants) If they were taking the weak ass stainless steel off of my fridge and putting it on the slide (and charging $30-$50 more) I would be pissssssed :evil:

·
Registered
902 Posts
ALL XD's have stainless slides, the local rep told me bi-tone costs more due to the extra work in bead-blasting/polishing it to make it pretty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've got a bi-tone 9mm Service and it hasn't ever had even a hint of rust in the year and a half I've owned it. It's got 3,000 rounds through it and is my daily carry gun.

I clean it after 200-rounds with the final measure being a wipe down with a silicone cloth. It is sometimes up to two-months between cleanings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a bi-tone 9mm Service and it hasn't ever had even a hint of rust in the year and a half I've owned it. It's got 3,000 rounds through it and is my daily carry gun.

I clean it after 200-rounds with the final measure being a wipe down with a silicone cloth. It is sometimes up to two-months between cleanings.

that's what I like to hear; pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and order the bi-tone

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's what I like to hear; pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and order the bi-tone
Thanks for the info guys. Actually ended up getting black after comparing the two in the store.

After all that it came down to preference; oh well, it was fun to at least talk about it.

Now what's the best accessory I can mount on that rail for $100-200? And what have you guys found is the most cost effective ammo to feed this beast at the range? (.40 S&W) I've never had any XD so I am behind the curve on this aspect.

I already have my 'business' rounds in the safe, but no need to sling those downrange.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
From what I understand and what has been discussed in other threads. And emails to and from SA both the Bi-tone and the all Black are melonite finished. The melonite is a treatment process not a color.

·
Registered
291 Posts
From what I understand and what has been discussed in other threads. And emails to and from SA both the Bi-tone and the all Black are melonite finished. The melonite is a treatment process not a color.

This was my understanding as well. But no one seems sure. Could you post your email from SA?

·
Registered
295 Posts
As far as a light for your rail that won't break the bank, I'd recommend the Streamlight TLR-1 LED. You can find them from $109-129 and you'll never have to replace the bulb. The surefire X200/300 are nice, but pricier.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
This was my understanding as well. But no one seems sure. Could you post your email from SA?
I didn't personally email them. But other people in other threads on this same subject have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am leaning toward buy a Black XD(M) but is there a place where I can buy a Bi-Toned Slide in case I change my mind and I can have the best of both worlds? I checked the Springfield Amory's website but didn't get too far.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I am leaning toward buy a Black XD(M) but is there a place where I can buy a Bi-Toned Slide in case I change my mind and I can have the best of both worlds? I checked the Springfield Amory's website but didn't get too far.
No, slides are not sold separately.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts