Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to bring up this ever lasting debate again, but I had mentioned before that a friend of mine was going to shoot a Ranger Talon into a ballistic tank, and let me know the results. Well he did one better. He fired a Black Talon, GoldDot, and Ranger Talon. They were all in .40 Cal, and the Ranger Talon was the RA40T variety.

All three bullets performed exceptionally well, and I truly believe that any would serve its purpose well. With that said it was clearly evident that the Ranger and Black Talon stood out. They both expanded well, but the Black Talon expanded a tiny bit better, and it's talons spread out a little more than the Rangers did, but the jacket did almost come off near one talon.

The Ranger performed well, and like I said above it didn't expand quite as much as the Black Talon. I compared the actual rounds, and I think you can tell a tiny different in the size of the hole in the hollow point, and the thickness in the jacket. I'm just guessing I didn't measure anything.

The Gold Dot also expanded great. You can really tell that Speer doesn't lie when they say that the lead is bonded to the jacket.

Overall, I'm very impressed with all the rounds, and I would feel safe using any of them in my gun.

Aaron

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
that middle one in the last 2 pictures, that looks like it would hurt the most lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am assuming that the speer gold dot is the furthest one on the right. is that right? I can certainly Identify the black talon and the round in the middle looks similar to it so it must be the ranger talon. pardon the ignorance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the last two pictures, the gold dot is on the far right, black talon in the middle, and ranger talon on the left. I'm pretty sure that both talons are 180 grain, but i'm not sure about the gold dot.

Aaron

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow. That's both pretty and not, depending on your POV. Are Black Talons still banned from new production? I was under them impression that they are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quick note on the SXT (which I think are Ranger Talonish), from a SC the flash is rather small. Something nice to think about. :shock:

·
Registered
281 Posts
stealthsniper said:
Wow. That's both pretty and not, depending on your POV. Are Black Talons still banned from new production? I was under them impression that they are.
They were never banned to begin with. Winchester simply stopped production due to all the media misinformation surrounding it. Winchester sells the Ranger Talon which is a third revision of the black talon. The only other difference is the lack of lublox coating, which was an antifriction coating similiar to moly but not the same.

The SXT is supposed to be a bit different than the Ranger T, but Ive never looked at a SXT myself. Someone at one time told me the SXT had 8 petals rather than 6 like the Talons. Interestingly enough, the part number
mentioned for the SXT is actually the part number for the Ranger T 40 180grn.

·
Registered
885 Posts
aard3 said:
...a friend of mine was going to shoot a Ranger Talon into a ballistic tank, and let me know the results.
What exactly is a ballistic tank? What are it's components?

Cool pics, BTW. Thanks.
I still have a box of original Black Talons. I have them loaded in one of my two carry mags.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
My former dept. initially used Black Talon, starting in late '89. As was mentioned, the name was soon changed due to its non pc connotation The dept. has and is using Ranger Talon 147gr. in 9mm. I am assuming they are happy with it since they are still using it (I know, it's wrong to assume). I use it in my ccw weapon now that I'm retired. I have full confidence in the round as a defensive round.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am under the impression that the Ranger used, is the 3rd revision of the Black Talon, even though it does have SXT on the box. These only had six petals. I think what matters is the RA40T, not the SXT. I THINK SXT is just for the type of bullet, not the designation for the exact one???

Aaron

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ctkelly said:
They were never banned to begin with. Winchester simply stopped production due to all the media misinformation surrounding it. Winchester sells the Ranger Talon which is a third revision of the black talon. The only other difference is the lack of lublox coating, which was an antifriction coating similiar to moly but not the same.
Thanks for the clarification. For curiousity's sake, I purchased two 50-round boxes of Ranger Talon, one each of 165gr and 180gr. If the local range will let me, I'll setup my home-brew ballistics tank and document the results. Otherwise, the test will have to wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i can see why speer goes on about jacket bonding
now i see why Indiana State Troopers has been usin em cuz they go through windshields the best :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts