Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2 parts question. Has anyone recently had their XD(or anything else) finished by sending directly to Birdsong for Black T? If so, what is the current price, average turn around time, and will they accept a pistol parted out so I don't have to send the frame and get bent over forwards by the shipping companies? My only major gripe was discovered last night after wearing it outside while working and had rust spots on my slide.

Question 2 is that I know Springfield can reduce the trigger reset distance(this is my only minor gripe and was my only gripe until last night,) but does anyone offer a drop in trigger kit to make the reset shorter and/or are there any online instructions for a do it yourself project....oh and I want both to hold up and not be a temporary fix too:)

Even after these 2 problems I still like them better than Glocks as both problems CAN be fixed, but a Glocks ergonomics for me can't:)

Big thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can't answer the Black T questions, except I have heard the turnaround time is enormous.

As to the drop in trigger question BarSto was working on one but I think it has stalles for some reason. They would be the people to keep your eyes on for the trigger components.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There's been a lot of discussion about Black T on this forum recently. I believe that Springfield's turnaround is something like 8 weeks, much faster than if one sent it directly to Birdsong.

As for the trigger, Canyon Creek's turnaround was only about one week when I last spoke to Rich. Until the BarSto unit comes to market, that's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Black T is not durable. My best friend just had his duck gun in an 870 done last year in the famous Black T. It has chipped peeled and otherwise just worn. Anywear metal to metal contact has occurred it is worn away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any thought about trying a duracoat finish on the slide? It can be done yourself and a complete starter kit is about $50. When you're done with your slide you have enough Duracoat left over to do several more guns.

Just wondering. I am the new guy so I don't know if Duracoat has been brought up before.

Check out the Duracoat website at Lauer Custom Weaponery

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't remember, but I think Duracoat from Brownells with the molybedenum paint in it is what I coated my shotgun with. It has held up reasonable well. I don't know how much perfection you can expect regarding having no runs or drips from a spray can however. My shotgun turned out reasonable well, but if I got careless it would run. Practice on plywood first. This is not an issue if you are simply looking for protection and not style. I think I ordered a brown color that when baked came out a nice olive drab.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some Duracoat parkerize color still around plus a Prevail Sprayer or 2 so I may end up doing it that way and perhaps have the internals done with something else that does hit the inside of the bore since I figured out that can rust too:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Sig P226 was done in Black-T almost 5 years ago now. It's my main IDPA pistol, and has had many thousands of rounds and holster presentations (Kydex) since then. No chipping, peeling, or wear-through. Hi contact points (slide rails, etc) have slightly "burnished," but that's all.

Great finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts