Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only handguns I have is the xdm 45 and a smith and wesson sigma 40. s.w. I will be using the 45 as bear defense while I am out coyote hunting, I will have a 22-250 rifle for the coyotes and the 45 incase I call in a bear and it want to eat me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Check your local hunting laws. In some states they specify a minimum caliber for defensive sidearms when hunting. Especially against bear and boar.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
We will keep an eye out for the news story: "Wounded bear mauls and eats coyote hunter, bear still at large.:) 45 ACP handgun with empty 13 round magazine and fired casings found with remains.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
IMHO, when it comes to putting an animal down, "shot placement" is one of the biggest factors. You have to be able to get to the vitals.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It is a sad thing in my state that if you are hunting with a rifle and have a pistol for bac-up it has to be a 22lr :cry::evil:. Also here is news of a guy who came face to face with a grizzly :
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
If you want to, carry the gun, but bear spray will stop an attacking bear about 10,000 times faster than shooting one with a hand gun. Yeah, it's not macho, but it is effective.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Better take a bazooka, I hear they are bullet proof. The 45acp was designed to take down horses, remember when the 45 was designed, days of cavalry. 45acp will do the job, google grizzly 45acp kill. The key is shot placement and FMJ you want penetration not expansion. The average Blackbear is 250-300 pounds, I know lots of men this big! Yes they have tougher thicker skin and all, but my motto go centermass, clip the spine, you'll be fine. But don't be to trigger happy, most of the time they will bluff charge or simply just run away. Dont be a snack but dont be to quick to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Better take a bazooka, I hear they are bullet proof. The 45acp was designed to take down horses, remember when the 45 was designed, days of cavalry. 45acp will do the job, google grizzly 45acp kill. The key is shot placement and FMJ you want penetration not expansion. The average Blackbear is 250-300 pounds, I know lots of men this big! Yes they have tougher thicker skin and all, but my motto go centermass, clip the spine, you'll be fine. But don't be to trigger happy, most of the time they will bluff charge or simply just run away. Dont be a snack but dont be to quick to pull the trigger.

You've never had a 300 pound bear charge, have you? Unless you happen to be quick a quick draw expert and able to make a shot where the bullet goes into the eye at a 45 degree angle across and down, the bear ain't gonna stop until after it mauls you. Don't forget that bear will be moving at top speed right at you, bouncing up and down as it moves. There will be momentary access to the upper chest at an oblique angle at the top of the bound, but the bullets will need to go through 18+" of meat and bone to reach the important stuff. A .45acp ain't gonna do that. Head on, you will either make the perfect kill shot or graze the thick skull or hit very thick shoulder bones. A bear in full charge won't stop from those type of grazing hits. That assumes you are actually able to draw, fire and hit your target. More likely you will miss entirely. Not a slam on your marksmanship, just a statistical statement of the vast majority of people's ability in those situations.

Bear spray worn on the hip can be pulled and discharged in a continuous stream which will get that bear to retreat. It costs little, weighs far less than a pistol and the legal entanglements from killing a bear without a license and out of season are not there.

And I do know that there have been bears killed by .45's. There have been elephants killed by .22lr too, but I wouldn't grab one to stop a charging bull elephant!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I don't know were you folks find these 300 LB Jack Bauer bears. The bears I have run into are the size of a large husky dog (80-150 lbs). Almost every time they have run as soon as they see me.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I don't know were you folks find these 300 LB Jack Bauer bears. The bears I have run into are the size of a large husky dog (80-150 lbs). Almost every time they have run as soon as they see me.

Here's a picture of me at 6'2" and 210 pounds spreading seed on a food plot area

Here's a picture of a bear that is "slightly larger" than your estimate of 80-150 lbs. He's probably in the 350 pound range.
(Ignore the snarky comment that was there from a prior discussion on how effective 9mm was on bears)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.