Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am getting ready to make a purchase with Daniel from PRP, to which I need to make a selection on the base XDm 9C: Bitone or Black on Black. Aesthetics (between BoB and Bitone) are not a factor for this decision.

This gun will be used for CCW/Defense/IDPA Target. Therefore, holster draw will be frequent, inducing standard area wear.

A few posts by individuals on XDTalk have indicated that in hindsight, they would have selected the Bitone over BoB due to the holster wear. While some say wear is character, I must be materialistic as I would prefer visual uniformity. I am concerned about this wear, along with potential corrosion through the Melonite finish to the base steel.

Anyone that has holster wear for either BoB or Bitone, can you please post a picture?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I can only help with one part of the wear issue. The black finish of the black XD is a very thin chemical coloration process that is applied over and after the melonite treatment. Melonite is a deep penetrant that is extremely hard to wear. Loss of the surface coloration does not effect the melonite. - use google.

·
Registered
47 Posts

This is my BoB with holster wear, I have it for the same reasons you want yours as well CCW/IDPA, I'm creeping up on 3k rounds through and I practice drawing and holstering almost every day, probably at least 30 times a day lol, but you can see the wear is not extensive, pretty much just the front serrations and the take down and slide stop levers, I use a Crossbreed Supertuck Holster, so the wear really only occurs on the leather side. I don't mind the look, it shows that the gun is well loved, frequently used and has a good home ;) I like the black a little more than the Bi for the simple fact that it feels more practical, more utilitarian, tactical and practical black, its my knock around every day carry, so I don't need it to win beauty contests, even tho it is absolutely sexy as is. Ive got my all stainless 1911 for my pretty gun. With this one, it will stay black, and eventually have just a few stainless accents tastefully added. As far as the melonite goes, if what I've read is correct, the treatment actually penetrates past the surface of the metal, so even if the black is eventually rubbed or polished off, you still have the same corrosion resistance. I polished the black off of my barrel and guide rod, been that way for a couple months, not a single spot of corrosion. Hope this helps at least a little, and good luck with your decision! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies.

I did some more research on the Melonite process, and what you have both indicated is echoed by every other source. Interesting tid-bit, I was reading that SA designed the XD/XDm out of tolerance in anticipation of the Melonite process binding to the steel; the end product is that the Melonite not only penetrates the base steel, but also increases the outer dimensions by a very small amount.

Sustinet, thank you for the picture!

I have placed an order through PRP for the following:

XDm 3.8" 9MM Compact
- Black on Black
- Combat Trigger job
- Dawson Fixed night sights
- Recrowned factory barrel
- Polished feed ramp
- PRP Stainless Steel Ejector
- PRP Striker Retainer Pin
- Tuned magazine release

I have an outstanding question to Daniel about the polished striker he offers (what value would I have with this?); to which that may make it into the XDm 9C as well.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The change effect on dimensions and tolerances is the main reason melonite and other similar nitrate salt bath processes are not often offered as an aftermarket option. The allowance for the dimensional differences must be 'built-in' to the machining design.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your most welcome, and excellent choice on yours as well! Congratulations on your order :) I'm slowly in the process of replacing all the internals with PRP parts, just popped my new ejector in and finally done with the frame, next up is the slide internals, gonna be the polished striker, titanium striker safety, and titanium striker status indicator. And perhaps the stainless pin set, just because. If you haven't guessed, I'm a mod whore who feels the need to customize anything and everything, it's a curse. Good luck, and definitely look into Crossbreed holsters for your compact, love mine, very comfortable, and a very quick and smooth draw from this holster, I highly recommend it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts